Canadian Military Record Praised -- by a Brit

I think you're slightly mistaken: any Englishman with any knowledge acknoweldges that Canadians have done right by us, and we by them, and we thank them for their efforts. There's certainly no argument when it comes to their worth. If they see that isn't the case then we have screwed up only in expressing our thanks. British reserve I guess?

Sidhe, I am only being half-serious. Quite frankly, most Canadians don't know crap about anything. Nothing wrong with a little intra-Commonwealth teasing is there?

I disagree. Everyone wants a pat on the back now and again, and yes I think our friends do take us somewhat for granted. Not entirely but somewhat.

As someone recently added to my wiki entry, I will never take Canadian friendship for granted. Saving our folks in Iran in 1979 at great personal risk to your embassy staff was one of the most impressionable moments of my childhood, and one I will never forget. If I don't say thank you enough, I'm truly sorry.

To you, Canada! :salute:

Agent, I don't get it.

Suppose we had done some terrible thing since? Would that not cancel out anything good we might have done in the past? (And when I say "we", I mean the few good/bad apples)

Are we to be judged eternally on that one "great deed"?

Unconditionnal loyalty is great from parents, but I would worry about it if it came from my friends...

It's not unconditional, and you've done nothing since there to counter it. Yeah, if you came and burned out Capital to the ground again, I'd be mighty peeved, but you've not done that. :)

Cheap higher education?! How do I get me some of that?... My girlfriend and I are drowning in school debt.

It's still pretty cheap; I don't know the rate at which it's subsidised out there, but it's significant. And that's not counting the interest-free status of loans until after school is done.

It's still pretty cheap; I don't know the rate at which it's subsidised out there, but it's significant. And that's not counting the interest-free status of loans until after school is done.

IF you qualify for such loans... Otherwise you're screwed.

Also try going past undergarduate.. one can easily end up with a BMW loan. (With no BMW) :)

Anyway - drifting off topic... don't want to threadjack.

Red Wolf - school in Ontario is cheap. Consider your future earning potential, and how study after study has shown that attending a post-secondary institution raises that potential. By going to a subsidized post-secondary institution in Ontario, you are having you future earning potential raised on the backs of all Ontarian taxpayers. If anything you (and I), should be putting up more than the 5 000$ a year we spend on tuition, since we are the ones who directly benefit the most.

Interesting tid-bit for you. Australia once tried to make a post-secondary education free. You know what they discovered? The same socio-economic classes continued to attend Universities. They did not see a greater percentage of poorer people attending Universities. You know what they got out of it? A generation of profs who left for Canada, and a generation of middle class kids who got a free University education (and thereby the resulting future benefits).

I work during the winter and full time in the summer, but I am all for a tuition hike.

Red Wolf - school in Ontario is cheap. Consider your future earning potential, and how study after study has shown that attending a post-secondary institution raises that potential. By going to a subsidized post-secondary institution in Ontario, you are having you future earning potential raised on the backs of all Ontarian taxpayers.

Many studies also say that we're the first generation that can expect to do worse then our parents - and this is due in no small part to crippling school debt loads.

School used to be cheap - our parents could earn enough money working summer jobs to pay for University and graduate reletively debt free. That is no longer even remotely feasible for the majority of students.

I also wouldn't say it's "on the backs of the tax payers". Higher earning potential equals higher spending power which translates into economic growth and thus jobs. So an educated populace is in everybody's best interests.

I work during the winter and full time in the summer, but I am all for a tuition hike.

For what possible reason?

Retirement and home ownership is already an impossible dream... why make it worse for graduates?

My girlfriend is just graduating law school and has so much debt she would have been better off never going to university and instead working for $10/hour in a call center somewhere. We'd be far better off and probably would have some savings to speak of.

@Elta. Australia's relative contribution was also incredible (just not as effective. :p )

They are credited with shooting down the Red Baron though (but only because a rookie Canadian pilot drew him into their range of fire).

They are credited with shooting down the Red Baron though (but only because a rookie Canadian pilot drew him into their range of fire).

Wasn't it some guy on the ground I seem to remember they reconstructed it and apparently there is no way he was shot down by a plane, he was actually caught by a lucky shot from the ground, I guess the guy was Australian, nice shot :)

Let's not forget the Ansac contribution in Turkey here.

Have they ever decided one way or the other who got him? I thought the jury was still out on that one. Colishaw wasn't it?

And obviously students are going to have debt. No doubt in my mind, but it is just like any other investment. Sure we could all make 10 an hour now, but that is short-term gain, whereas most people in post-secondary institutions have a more long-term plan.

Here is the problem. Canada has roughly the same amount of post-secondary faculty as it did in the 1970s, whereas the number of students has skyrocketed. It is not feasible for the state to be able to keep student-teacher ratios the same if students are not willing to see a tuition hike. It cannot be expected for the state to fork over that kind of money.

I also wouldn't say it's "on the backs of the tax payers". Higher earning potential equals higher spending power which translates into economic growth and thus jobs. So an educated populace is in everybody's best interests.

Tell that to the person who is earning 10/hour. Tell them that it is okay that the government is diverting funds away from services that they could use into post-secondary institutions so that a guy or girl who will one day be earning in the 6 figure ball park can leave University without debts and begin their materialistic life style immediately.

Clearly I agree an educated populace is very important to the economy; which is why I support public education in the first place! I simply think that the amount paid by the student is extremely low and has been for years now. Student tuition only makes up 16% of Queen's University's revenue!

Why do I want a tuition hike? a) Because I think the state and tax payers are paying too high a burden of my education considering I benefit directly the most. There is no doubt a societal benefit, but I feel as though it is time for student's to take on more of the responsibility. b) the student to teacher ratio in this province is attrocious. I want my department to have more money, to hire more professors. I want my department to be able to afford TAs who can attend lectures so that tutorials are more useful. I want a school that can properly fund my varsity team so that we are do not using 24 year old equipment and having to pay gas money out of our pockets.

Universities are cash strapped here. It is self-centered, selfish students who are concerned about their short-term financial situation--yet who still find the money to drop 20-40 at the bar in a night (I will admit that I am guilty of it)-- who expect the government and tax payers to keep them debt free, so they can enjoy the benefits of their education (and the subsequent income), while having only contributed 16% of the funds that made that education possible.

Students can do better. In the end I think your girlfriend's law degree will pay itself off.

EDIT: I want to make something clear. I do not think money should buy any student into Queen's. I would hope that my school would keep the highest academic standards in this country. I also believe that those who need financial assistance should get it. If tuitions were hiked, those families that could afford it would pay more to the pot (in comparasion to taxpayers), and that money could be used to help those poorer students.

Have they ever decided one way or the other who got him? I thought the jury was still out on that one. Colishaw wasn't it?

I don't think that there's ever been any kind of full blown agreement, but I'm a Canadian and from all of the evidience I've seen, is pretty compelling to me that the Aussies got him.

Of course, we did help by getting him into such a vulnerable position. I read a bit more since my last post and I was only half right, the Baron was chasing a rookie Canadian pilot, but was also being chased by another Rookie Canadian pilot (who was given, at the time, the official credit for shooting him down).

All British machine guns used the same bullets, both on aircraft and on the ground, so the Canadians and Australians were using the exact same bullets, so credit couldn't be determined by the bullet they pulled out of him.

Forensic evidence shows that the bullet travelled upwards, and since the Canadian pilot chasing him was above him at the time, it just seems that it had to be the Aussies on the ground.

No matter, it's definitely a Canuck or an Aussie. Had it been a Yank or Brit there would have been a movie made about it by now.

The way I've read it, an Aussie got him, with a machine gun from a hill. The Baron was chasing a Canadian Rookie being trained by a Canadian Ace who was on the Baron's tail, and initially got credit for the kill. The Rookie had been instructed to circle above the battle, but had dived on what he thought was a German trainee, but was in fact Richthofen

Erm... how does your post diagree with mine? :confused:

Students can do better. In the end I think your girlfriend's law degree will pay itself off.

We shall see. Law is not as highly paid as you might imagine. (Try to get a small business loan, or a car loan when you owe $60,000). We're targeting home ownership for sometime in our 40's... My working class parents (neither have degrees) owned a home in their early 20's.

so that a guy or girl who will one day be earning in the 6 figure ball park can leave University without debts and begin their materialistic life style immediately

I think the minority of University grads earn 6 figures...

Erm... how does your post diagree with mine? :confused:

Actually, I wasn't disagreeing with you. Though I see how you got that . . . edit time.

Moderator Action: Ahem, we could always have a thread about college education costs and subsidies/loans (or lack thereof) in a new thread. I bet it'd get a pretty good discussion going. But that's for there, not here. Thanks.

Top Bottom