canal city between lake tiles not passable by boats?

Tanon

Chieftain
Can use the 2 outer cities (Hamburg and Paris) as canals for accessing lake tiles by boats, but can´t move em through the city in the middle (Frankfurt), which connects both lakes.

Is there anything wrong with the harbour placement or is it working as intended? If so does anyone know if you can change it so lake cities are boat passable?
20161108060742_1.jpg

Is this happening!? I do this type of thing all the time and woudl like to have ranged ships in these waters!

well ships do not start on the city now, they start on the harbor, thus cannot pass a city anymore, which, considering ships aren't supposed to travel the streets, is quite logical. The real issue here, like it always has been, is the lack of the "canal" improvement.

Ships CAN move into cities though. I move ranged ships into cities to bombard inland targets all the time. Also if you build Venetian Arsenal, the 2nd free one even starts in the city.

Cities must have a "coastal" flag so the game can give you that eureka moment. My best guess is that ships are only allowed into "coastal" cities.

Frankfurt isn't considered coastal because it's next to two fresh water lakes instead of an ocean.

Yeah Frankfurt is not a coastal city since it's not actually touching the ocean, so you can't move through it with ships

Gotta say though that'd be some ridiculously cool map layout if it worked lol

But yes, we still really need a canal improvement for times like this (*cough* mods pls *cough*)

it's probably wayyyy easier to just remove the "city must be coastal to move a ship there" requirement. It's not like a ship can sail through land to get there, it would basically only apply to canal situations.

It might also determine where great admirals can teleport to

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to dust of my "Canals Now!" hat.

On a serious note. Bummer. Always loved maps like this for this very reason. Oh well.

No GDR, no Xcom Paratroopers, no canal improvements. Maybe they're leaving that type of stuff to modders, but I always appreciated it when they'd drop something like that in the official code.

I guess trade routes wouldn't use those tiles either :(

Come to think of it, can sea trade routes pass into a land city, then travel across land to another city, and then re-enter sea tiles?

Top Bottom