1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Canal possible?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Baba Yetu VI, May 1, 2017.

1. Baba Yetu VI

Baba Yetu VI Warlord

This is my current game.
    Can we have a feature called canal so that I can cut through to make a shorter path possible?
    I need a passage from Osaka through the canal North East of Imperial Capital into the Sea where Mysore is adjacent so that my Imperial Navy can attack the city.

Attached Files:

2. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I remember Ed Beach (I believe) talking somewhat about canals back before the game was released, so maybe they'll come with an expansion, if we're lucky. Would also go nicely with a Dutch civ, with waterworks and everything.

(Delta Works world wonder anyone?)

1SDAN and nzcamel like this.
  3. Baba Yetu VI

Baba Yetu VI Warlord

It will also add some flavors to the game, imagine canal becomes one the strategic / geo-political resources that everyone fights for it to control the world...etc

1SDAN and nzcamel like this.
  4. Turrdy

Turrdy Prince

i'd love canals. right now you can build a city in the right spot to make a 1-tile canal, but thats a rare occasion..

5. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

Some new CS would be cool:
    Panama city: All commercial districts of the Suzerain can be used by naval units.
    Suez Port: All Encampments of the Suzerain can be used by naval units.

this would be the first time in Civ series that canals become true. It would be very cool if the programmer get this to work this time:hatsoff:

6. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Montreal: All entertainment complexes of the suzerain can be used by naval units.

Manifold likes this.
  7. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Venice: All Theater Squares of the suzerain can be used by naval units.

Manifold likes this.
  8. Jarms48

Jarms48 Prince

Can we just make a canal a separate district not taken up by the district cap? Similar to aqueducts.

God of Kings likes this.
  9. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

It could also be done using military engineers (or even a specific Great Engineer who creates a canal (or two canals with the Mausoleum))

10. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I'd like to see an expansion focused on canals and railroads. Builders gain the ability to build both (or maybe some other mechanic), and canals and railroads just act like roads, though with a few differences:

Railroads increase production for city centers and Industrial Zones that are connected to Industrial Zones or Harbors by the railroad. They also allow units to travel with movement similar to roads or maybe even faster.
    Canals increase gold income for Harbors and Commercial Hubs for connections with rivers, sea and other Harbors and Commercial Hubs (includes connection over rivers), can only be built on flat land. They allow units to move slightly faster than standard, though not as much as roads and railroads.

Both have a starting point and an ending point. For railroads, the starting point has to be an Industrial Zone or Harbor, the ending point can be either a city center or Industrial Zone. For canals, the starting point has to be a river, lake, sea or other canal and the ending point has to be a river, commercial hub or again other canal.

EDIT: Additionally, roads now grant bonus food for cities that are connected to them, though a minor amount, for symmetry and to simulate better accessability.

11. Manifold

not only canals,
    tunnels (like Brenner Tunnel, Channel Tunnel) and
    bridges (like Oresund Bridge, Skye Road Bridge)

God of Kings and Leyrann like this.
  12. Jarms48

Jarms48 Prince

In retrospect, personally I believe we should give road building to workers (and legion) - being unlocked at engineering.

Then make a civil engineer unit (also unlocked at engineering) who can build:
    - roads: very insufficient but would be situationally useful if you have no workers around
    - aqueducts: if we're going to be adding canals, we might as well make aqueducts tile improvements as well
    - canals: allows naval access to land tile, maybe offering some kind of gold yield
    - tunnels: allows units to move through a mountain tile, counts as road/railway
    - bridges: can be built over 1 tile water crossings, essentially a reverse canal, allowing land units access a water tile, counts as road/railway
    - railways: whilst roads build naturally from trade routes, and can be improved/optimised by engineers, railways would only be constructed by engineers. They would offer the best method of ground transportation, and should offer some kind of bonus yield to trade routes between cities with railway connections

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    1SDAN and God of Kings like this.
  13. Manifold

I have thought about it again, does this not this idea make the world map a bit too full?