1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Canals needed

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by s0nny80y, May 12, 2016.

1. s0nny80y

s0nny80y King

What do you think?

Suez and Panama canals are pretty big deals in modern civilization, and canals ought to be a big issue in civ 6.

2. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Prince

Hmm maybe, I've always seen Civ as a more macro level game though I think Canals are more important on paradox style games. One problem might be that if canals are implemented they might be spammed negating their importance. Still that would be cool especially if you could sell access to two Waring nations.

3. Howitzer

Howitzer Chieftain

In earth maps, both Civ4 and 5 I always build a city in the spot where Africa connects to Asia if I'm a European, middle eastern or northern African Civ, and I always build a city in the thinest part of land that connects north and south America if I'm an American Civ.

If I dont make it, I will defo dow for it. So yeah canals and 1 tile bridges, eg over bosporus strait, or between England and France etc is a must for me and it really adds a tactical approach to military and commerce aspects of the game

4. Haig

Haig Deity

Ok I'll copy this here from another thread:

Originally Posted by moysturfurmer View Post
    Well it's not concrete info, but it's a highly suggestive implication that canals are in. Via Pete Murray. Didn't know if it was worth its own thread.

https://m.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/...emands/d3i5o3w

5. primem0ver

primem0ver Emperor

A long time ago I felt this would be a nice feature. However, scale wise it is unrealistic. The panama canal was a huge undertaking and it is only 48 miles long. The average tile on a map that is 200 tiles wide is 120 miles...

The ONLY place where a canal tile improvement might make any sense is when the land is one tile wide. The same effect however can be accomplished by building a city. I have used this strategy in almost every game that I have a neck of land separating two large continents.

6. anandus

anandus Errorist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBdl8YVFK4o
    An interview with Ed Beach, the interviewer asks about canal cities at ~2:00.
    Ed Beach says he can't say anything, but later on says that Teddy is in the game and Teddy would be sad if there weren't going to be canals.

So it's a strong hint that canals or the Panama canal will be in.

7. historix69

historix69 Emperor

Since cities now cover many tiles, the scale seems to have changed ... I hope they allow maps big enough to make a rational world map.

Next to canals I would like to see Big River Tiles for River-Waterways like Hudson River or St. Lawrence Seaway.

Spoiler :

Waterways were usefull to quickly transport goods and troops while there were no roads/railroads available. In case of Civ where there are no transportable goods, waterway-rivers might be used by embarked troops, small ships and maybe traderoutes.

Spoiler :

US Inland Waterway Connection :

8. yaliny

yaliny Chieftain

Yes, exactly canals and bridges over sea tiles.

9. primem0ver

primem0ver Emperor

If they truly allow for big maps, then I am all for this feature. This will only be possible though if they use multiple cores for processing. I would also love to see big river tiles. This would be easier to implement if they got rid of the tile grid and used a point grid instead (where each hex is made of 7 points... 6 at each corner and one in the center).