1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cancel culture strikes again

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Colon, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

It was a public conference, the woman was sitting in front of them. If it was a private conversation, maybe they should've tried being quieter and not letting themselves be easily overheard? If they're going to be crass or whatever, it stands to reason that people aren't always going to want to sit through that. That's not what folks are paying to listen to.

See what's interesting here is it's never "we should advocate for better worker protections" or "the company that fired them is at fault". It's always either a) "someone is overreacting" or "what they said wasn't bad". Which sorry folks, is nothing but your opinion. It doesn't mean anything beyond that. You thinking it isn't offensive means no more or less than someone thinking it is offensive.

What matters is the person's ability to be fired, presumably for the same incident. Of course we're not privy to why they were actually fired other than for behaviour that didn't line up with the company's stated behaviour. We don't know what previous incidents there may or may not have been. The same goes for the woman who was fired (of note, neither you or Akka were complaining about that).

aelf likes this.
  2. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Speaking about "actions have consequences", the woman who reported them was fired too.

3. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

It's almost like the actual problem is the power companies have over their employees, plus a side order of people reading an article online and thinking they know everything about a particular situation.

El_Machinae likes this.
  4. Samson

Samson Deity

Actions have consequences: Criticising the COVID response can get you killed

Mushtaq Ahmed, 53, was arrested on May 6 last year under the Digital Security Act (DSA) for his social media comments allegedly criticising the government’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic.
    He died on Thursday in the high-security Kashimpur jail in Gazipur district, 32km (20 miles) from the capital Dhaka. The cause of death was not immediately clear.
    Police charged Ahmed with spreading rumours on social media, tarnishing the image of the country’s founding father Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and “hurting the spirit of the 1971 liberation war”. He was denied bail six times.

The DSA, passed in 2018, includes a jail sentence of up to 14 years for any propaganda or campaign against the country’s independence war, its founding father, the national anthem or flag.
    It also says a person could be jailed for up to 10 years for destroying communal harmony or creating unrest or disorder.

Ahmed, who used to write under the pen name, Michael Kumir Thakur, was also famous as a crocodile farmer. His book, Crocodile Farmer’s Diary, earned him widespread acclaim.
    Brad Adams, Asia director of the Human Rights Watch, said Ahmed died in custody after “being held in pre-trial detention for nine months … for the alleged ‘crime’ of posting criticism of the government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic on Facebook”.

Dhaka-based journalist Saqib Sarkar said being locked up in a “dirty, squalid condition and away from family is also a form of torture”.
    “In Ahmed’s case, this has become very transparent after his death. His wife had a mental breakdown. This is torture,” he told Al Jazeera.

Kyriakos likes this.
  5. red_elk

red_elk Deity

My take on the situation is that the guys didn't do anything wrong except may be speaking a bit louder than it was appropriate on the conference. And even this is only assumption.
    The woman, on the other hand, took a picture and clearly had intention to public shame them. Instead of using proper and private means to report them.

6. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Another good one. Again, language. Again, completely on point.

7. Samson

Samson Deity

Pontins "cancels" whole ethnic group by surname

A list, was uploaded to the Pontins intranet under the heading “Undesirable Guests”, instructing call handlers that people using these names were “unwelcome”.
    The blacklist used by Pontins to exclude Traveller and Gypsy families includes some of the most common Irish surnames, with thousands potentially caught in the ban.

Gypsies and Travellers are recognised as distinct racial groups under the 2010 Act, which covers England, Scotland and Wales, protecting them against discrimination.

Spoiler The Full List :
    Boylan
    Boyle
    Carney
    Carr
    Cash
    Connors
    Corcoran
    Delaney
    Doherty
    Dorran
    Gallagher
    Horan
    Keefe
    Kell
    Leahy
    Lee
    MacLaughlin
    McAlwick
    McCully
    McDonagh
    McGinley
    McGinn
    McGuinness
    McHarg
    McLaughan
    McMahon
    Millighan
    Mongans
    Murphy
    Nolan
    O’Brien
    O’Connell
    O’Donnell
    O’Donoghue
    O’Mahoney
    O’Reilly
    Sheridan
    Stokes
    Walch
    Ward

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  8. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

I'd try to find a witty line to add, but some things just leave me speechless too.

9. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I actually find that picture to be pretty funny :)

And yes, that the horse died from a heart attack is more of an issue than the person sitting over the corpse.
    That said... it is a horse. We eat animals on a daily basis, so the outrage is unrealistic.
    Does remind me of that californian case a few years ago, where someone was thrown to jail for 3 years for "raping a horse". In the unlikely case the horse felt anything, I doubt it was the worst in its miserable existence.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Sofista, Yeekim and Samson like this.
  10. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I was wondering when they'd get around to canceling Dr. Seuss. I would've thought his wartime comics would have been the culprit but apparently it's some of his children's books.

Not that I really mind their canceling McElligot's Pool. I hate that book with a passion. It is long and annoying and my kids love to make me read it because of both those factors.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/dr-seuss-books-canceled-racist-imagery

I guess this should lead to a Bill Maher trifecta from me as he also had some on point discussion regarding this revisionist nonsense so popular with kids these days (again, warning for language):

11. Samson

Samson Deity

This is the study in question:

“In the fifty Dr. Seuss children’s books, 2,240 human characters are identified. Of the 2,240 characters, there are forty-five characters of color representing two percent of the total number of human characters. The eight books featuring characters of color include: The Cat’s Quizzer: Are YOU Smarter Than the Cat in the Hat?;Scrambled Eggs Super!; Oh, the Places You’ll Go!; On Beyond Zebra; Because a Little Bug Went Ka-choo; If I Ran the Zoo; And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street; and Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?
    "Of the forty-five characters of color, forty-three are identified as having characteristics aligning with the definition of Orientalism. Within the Orientalist definition, fourteen people are identified by stereotypical East Asian characteristics and twenty-nine characters are wearing turbans. Characters aligned with Orientalism are sometimes attributed an ethno-racial identity, but are generally situated within a colorblind lens, often from an unspecified nationality, race, or ethnicity. Only two of the forty-five characters are identified in the text as “African” and both align with the theme of anti-Blackness.
    “White supremacy is seen through the centering of Whiteness and White characters, who comprise 98% (2,195 characters) of all characters. Notably, every character of color is male. Males of color are only presented in subservient, exotified, or dehumanized roles. This also remains true in their relation to White characters. Most startling is the complete invisibility and absence of women and girls of color across Seuss' entire children’s book collection.”
    In addition, some of Dr. Seuss' most iconic books feature animal or non-human characters that transmit Orientalist, anti-Black, and White supremacist messaging through allegories and symbolism.​

12. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Burn him!!!!

13. Yeekim

Yeekim Moderator Moderator

Obviously noone has to "sit through that".
    Such situation is normally resolved by asking the offending party to tone it down. Public shaming/complaining on social media after the event is over serves no justifiable purpose imho.

14. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I think that most people would avoid confrontation. I can't sympathise with either party, and really can't care

15. Yeekim

Yeekim Moderator Moderator

It's possible to ask politely...

16. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Like I said: nobody's bothering to come at this from the angle of worker protections. It's all about how valid the transgression was, or how acceptable the response is, which is basically your (or my) opinion.

You can suggest a better way to handle it until the end of time. It doesn't really change much. You weren't there, you're not that woman. In her place, people could criticise you for your handling of it.

If you don't mind something being cancelled because you don't like it, surely you can see why people get things "cancelled" that they don't like ;)

17. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

@Gorbles am I that bad at humor or are you really just that lame not to notice it lol? ;)

18. aelf

aelf Ashen One

You can't let facts get between a man and complaining about the times and the waning of his ideology.

Some people are just crazy. If every single time someone having a crazy reaction has to be blamed on the "the woke left", then we'll be here all day.

Wait...

19. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Whether that woman was right or wrong is more interesting topic to discuss, than workers rights. In my opinion, she "self-cancelled" and got what she deserved.

20. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

This is the Internet. I rely on emotes, it's why I use them a lot. You know as well as me how well assuming works out most of the time :D

It's not really an interesting topic at all. It's people (known posters, with known opinions) in a thread about "cancel culture" deciding whether or not a stranger reacted well enough to a situation she found uncomfortable. It's tedious.

If she got what she "deserved", then so did the idiots behind her. Case closed. There's nothing to discuss because you're not interested in why these people are able to be fired in the first place. I know better than to even bother trying to present an argument about sexism in the workplace (which conferences are also known for in tech, and other disciplines). That's not interesting, and it's been done a bajillion times before. So I want to focus on the firings themselves. That to me is something that should resonate regardless of your opinion on "cancel culture" or the like.

But evidently, it isn't. Which is funny.