Cancel culture strikes again

How's this: I do not think Volcker intentionally engineered a recession to undercut labor's bargaining position.

I think it's hard to escape the conclusion that he did. I mean, the orthodoxy in economics is that you have basically two ways to reduce inflation as measured in the typical CPI:

Reduce consumption of goods and services
Increase production of goods and services

Increasing interest rates does nothing to increase investment (therefore production) . So if he raised interest rates for the purpose of reducing inflation, he could only have been targeting the other effect, reducing consumption.

How does one reduce consumption? By reducing people's disposable income to buy stuff. But without getting them unemployed, else production also falls. So the idea must have been to reduce labour compensation. To make that stick at all the idea must have been to permanently degrade labour's bargaining position. The success of Volcker's intervention depended on that.

Where I may agree with you is that Volcker alone would have been unable to achieve this. It also requires changes to laws, to what is called the regulatory environment. Causing a recession was only part of the events going on. But Volcker knew the part he was playing.

Volcker's theory of the inflation of the 70s was cost-push. You better believe he was trying to crush labor because he believed that labor's demands, increasing production costs, was principally responsible for the inflation that the US was experiencing.

Circular logic. Not really much to say here in that case, so let's move on.
Theoretically, but in practice an ideological group needs to be somewhat imperious or belligerent before it will regularly engage in this manner.
Perhaps. Maybe the salient point is that the group (sans ideology, simply a group of people that are aligned in some respect) needs some kind of specific attitude to attempt anything like a takeover of a site they see as beneficial. I mean, this is reaching across an incredibly broad umbrella, here. What does the phrase "cancel culture" even mean, if applied this loosely?
Yes. You said a change in context leads into a change in argument. I'm agreeing in a manner of speaking. Namely that there are variants/strains of the base argument adapted to context. Take base argument, mutate it, apply to given context. Patterns are also reproducible.

Am I? Just a few lines ago you said you think my description of the activity could apply to quite a few ideological groupings. You're not wrong. Woke progressives are one such grouping. They need not be the only variant.

I don't though. I don't think that's entirely germane to my issue with cancel culture. Maybe, just maybe, I'm not saying all of these words just to mean "that." It's you who wants to get deep in this one trench.
Snipping these ones back together for a connected reply here, your argument seems to be that these things are all variations on the same concept. Whatever that concept is, if it's specifically firing people for ideological reasons, or if it's the greater, far more vaguely-defined "cancel culture" as a whole (whatever that whole is). Which insofar as it constitutes a point, sure. That's how a lot of things occur in actual circumstances, rather than the theoretical. The implementations can vary.

So if the implementations it can vary, and you agree that "woke progressives" aren't the only group allegedly performing the activity, then the moniker of "cancel culture" is inherently incorrect. It's not a useful label. But I've been over this before.

As for what is or isn't relevant, you're the one who defined the scope as being woke progressives. Folks can't assume, right? I can't assume any more than that. It's not me going "deep" in this trench, it's me trying to understand the exact problem you're trying to illustrate without assuming anything further than what has been typed. So far, from all these posts, all we have is this apparent concern of yours that people banned on forums can be banned for ideological reasons, which is a bad thing to happen. Sure. Plenty of issues happen over time in the moderation of a site. Mistakes are inevitable, as minimised as they may (or may not) be (depending on the community and its management).

Nobody's bringing any evidence to the table, apart from BD doing the best he can on the subject. It's just allusions to this, references to that (understandable at times, given the forum rules). But my core point is: what relevance does this all have? You're describing a pattern of actions that is as old as human history (arguably). As you said, the agenda remains constant, but other particulars will differ. Before "woke" existed, people were still "cancelled". Before the Internet, people were still "cancelled". Before the printing press, and so on, and so forth.

So what is the problem here, other than it apparently appears to be the turn of a group you dislike? It seems entirely germane that you specifically cited "woke progressives", because you understand that the group you're railing against isn't the sole perpetrator of the thing you see as problematic. Which means targeting them isn't going to make the problem go away. No?
Hello. Welcome to the thread! The topic is cancel culture. How may we help you?
Indeed it is. You still haven't related "cancel culture" back to CFC with anything other than a vague allusion to human behaviour that is replicated across the world, online and offline, in ways that can be traced back decades, centuries, or perhaps even millenia.

I don't think anything of this is helping define "cancel culture", which honestly suits my points just fine. You may not find this agreeable, though.

Circular logic. Not really much to say here in that case, so let's move on.
As I was commenting on the consistency in recapitulating your experience, I'm fine with moving on from that.

Perhaps. Maybe the salient point is that the group (sans ideology, simply a group of people that are aligned in some respect) needs some kind of specific attitude to attempt anything like a takeover of a site they see as beneficial. I mean, this is reaching across an incredibly broad umbrella, here. What does the phrase "cancel culture" even mean, if applied this loosely?
Alternatives to the word site: institution, organization, ...

Snipping these ones back together for a connected reply here, your argument seems to be that these things are all variations on the same concept. Whatever that concept is, if it's specifically firing people for ideological reasons, or if it's the greater, far more vaguely-defined "cancel culture" as a whole (whatever that whole is). Which insofar as it constitutes a point, sure. That's how a lot of things occur in actual circumstances, rather than the theoretical. The implementations can vary.

So if the implementations it can vary, and you agree that "woke progressives" aren't the only group allegedly performing the activity, then the moniker of "cancel culture" is inherently incorrect. It's not a useful label. But I've been over this before.
May I suggest being a bit less prescriptivist? This like saying the word ordinateur is incorrect because you wouldn't typically use it. Conservatives use the phrase "cancel culture" and grok it. You don't grok it. It does not compute. It does not mean its usage is inherently incorrect. It's not a rhetorically neutral phrase, and probably has a Russell conjugation or two.

As for what is or isn't relevant, you're the one who defined the scope as being woke progressives.
WHEN? LMAO!!!

Folks can't assume, right? I can't assume any more than that. It's not me going "deep" in this trench, it's me trying to understand the exact problem you're trying to illustrate without assuming anything further than what has been typed. So far, from all these posts, all we have is this apparent concern of yours that people banned on forums can be banned for ideological reasons, which is a bad thing to happen. Sure. Plenty of issues happen over time in the moderation of a site. Mistakes are inevitable, as minimised as they may (or may not) be (depending on the community and its management).
Assume as you like, if you think it helps. Certainly didn't help you with that scope statement.

Nobody's bringing any evidence to the table, apart from BD doing the best he can on the subject. It's just allusions to this, references to that (understandable at times, given the forum rules). But my core point is: what relevance does this all have? You're describing a pattern of actions that is as old as human history (arguably). As you said, the agenda remains constant, but other particulars will differ. Before "woke" existed, people were still "cancelled". Before the Internet, people were still "cancelled". Before the printing press, and so on, and so forth.
There's been a fair bit of evidence already presented early on in this thread. There's some tangential discussion of the topic in the Tom Macdonald thread. From my vantage point there's plenty of evidence to be found. I'm not sure what you classify as evidence, though. You however contend that there are prior versions of whatever you don't feel "cancel culture" is an appropriate label for.

So what is the problem here, other than it apparently appears to be the turn of a group you dislike? It seems entirely germane that you specifically cited "woke progressives", because you understand that the group you're railing against isn't the sole perpetrator of the thing you see as problematic. Which means targeting them isn't going to make the problem go away. No?
Add a second such group. Better yet, add some more. Even better, have them converge on the same field.

Indeed it is. You still haven't related "cancel culture" back to CFC with anything other than a vague allusion to human behaviour that is replicated across the world, online and offline, in ways that can be traced back decades, centuries, or perhaps even millenia.
You get tunnelvision and you just might miss the conversations elsewhere in the room. In this instance, CFC, woke progressives, forum mods, forum participants that are not tolerable to progressives. I could swear someone gave his opinion on what would happen if woke progs had their way with the place.

I don't think anything of this is helping define "cancel culture", which honestly suits my points just fine. You may not find this agreeable, though.
.... Anything?...

I mean it loses a good deal of subtlety this way but if it's going to be a thing...
This is like saying World War II is complicated. Duh. At the end of the day though you were either with the Nazis or not.

Anyway, these truisms are not particularly useful for advancing the discussion. If you don't believe that Volcker intentionally engineered the recession to undercut labor's bargaining position, say so. Don't hide behind generalities.

Organizations were either tainted by doing business with Nazis back then, or they weren't... or maybe Space Programs... I don't know.

Anyways, don't wanta Fanta?

As I was commenting on the consistency in recapitulating your experience, I'm fine with moving on from that.
Nah, you claimed you were considering my feelings in some fashion, but went in circles to avoid explaining what feelings and how they were considered.

If assumptions are fair game, I'd suggest this is empty rhetoric consistent with treating a discussion as a game. Not a great sign, and born out with your tendencies in discussion with others, too.

I'm sure you disagree, this is the problem with assumptions. They're inherently speculative and easy to deflect from, even when on the mark.

Suffice it to say, your choice to point this in a circular direction and then attribute it to some consistency in summarising my argument is a red flag. I've dealt with this type of discourse before. And yet I still want to explore your understanding of "cancel culture".
Alternatives to the word site: institution, organization, ...
This does nothing but broaden the definition further. As someone said previously, this arguably makes it too broad to be of use.
May I suggest being a bit less prescriptivist? This like saying the word ordinateur is incorrect because you wouldn't typically use it. Conservatives use the phrase "cancel culture" and grok it. You don't grok it. It does not compute. It does not mean its usage is inherently incorrect. It's not a rhetorically neutral phrase, and probably has a Russell conjugation or two.
Except ordinateur has a clearly-defined (if out of fashion) use and meaning. My not getting on with "cancel culture" is irrelevant to it being poorly-defined.
WHEN? LMAO!!!
When you were asked about the point of concern in this instance.
Assume as you like, if you think it helps. Certainly didn't help you with that scope statement.
Why didn't it?
There's been a fair bit of evidence already presented early on in this thread. There's some tangential discussion of the topic in the Tom Macdonald thread. From my vantage point there's plenty of evidence to be found. I'm not sure what you classify as evidence, though. You however contend that there are prior versions of whatever you don't feel "cancel culture" is an appropriate label for.
For "cancel culture" generally, sure. I've been pretty involved in the thread. A lot of counterarguments and deconstructions have been made also.

However I was being narrow, remember? So the evidence I was talking about was pertaining to your suggestions about CFC specifically.
You get tunnelvision and you just might miss the conversations elsewhere in the room. In this instance, CFC, woke progressives, forum mods, forum participants that are not tolerable to progressives. I could swear someone gave his opinion on what would happen if woke progs had their way with the place.
Opting to focus on a particular tangent doesn't mean I'm not aware of other tangents. It just means I'd like to pin down opinions specifically on that tangent, instead of letting the discussion be manoeuvred somewhere else.

I'm well aware of folks' opinions on "woke progressives". But I guess other ideologies being in charge isn't objectionable? It certainly isn't for others. People are fine with, say, a bunch of conservatives being in charge (insofar as this has anything to do with running a site).

You keep talking about other groupings should be added (to this singular grouping we're focusing on), but in practise you don't. You wouldn't be here if you weren't concerned about "woke progressives" possibly affecting forum staff. It's only because of the supposed existence of such a group that you even made the allusion that started this tangent, by commenting on historical bans.

Or would you? Would you care if a bunch of alt-righters were attempting a similar thing? To take an example, trying to get something changed in moderation that would benefit their old tactic of obfuscation through debate? That would be similarly concerning, right?

To be clear, I'm being completely hypothetical and not talking about any specific poster here (you'd be surprised at how often people think they're being labelled by hypotheticals).

Nah, you claimed you were considering my feelings in some fashion, but went in circles to avoid explaining what feelings and how they were considered.

If assumptions are fair game, I'd suggest this is empty rhetoric consistent with treating a discussion as a game. Not a great sign, and born out with your tendencies in discussion with others, too.
Oh that. Your post wasn't consistent. How you feel about that is another matter. On the one hand you claim politics are getting more cutthroat (on certain topics) and cited instances of forums getting more insular and people being annoyed off of them. The tools and results you have seen glances of. The imposition starting from outside the community in question seems to be where the rub lies. On the other hand, these dynamics are as old as time? Remember when I said static? You're stating that in other domains, the activity I'm describing has taken place. You somewhat understand what I'm getting at, at least historically. I'm assuming those two modes of thought will interact at some point, seeing as they share the same "locality."

I'm sure you disagree, this is the problem with assumptions. They're inherently speculative and easy to deflect from, even when on the mark.
To a certain extent people have to make some base assumptions for a conversation to happen. We're not mindreaders. Many assumptions miss the mark. Some hit the mark. How to discern which is which and calibrate accordingly is an interesting topic on its own.

Suffice it to say, your choice to point this in a circular direction and then attribute it to some consistency in summarising my argument is a red flag. I've dealt with this type of discourse before. And yet I still want to explore your understanding of "cancel culture".
Still. I would assume this means you didn't quite learn enough about this type of discourse from those prior experiences. Fascinating. From my perspective, it's indirect and multi-angled, not circular. Contrast how you and Senethro reacted when I dropped my non-yellow heads of state question versus how amadeus acted. It was something of a ruse and he saw through it, as far as I can tell. He also delivered one of the better responses. When Senethro responded, he made an edit. I took this to be self-correction, impulse versus a more considered thought. The latter is what he, in fullness, meant. You appeared to resonate with his situation. You said you're uncomfortable with examining your edits. Also fascinating.

This does nothing but broaden the definition further. As someone said previously, this arguably makes it too broad to be of use.
I take that as a lack of personal interest in its application, which is fine.

Except ordinateur has a clearly-defined (if out of fashion) use and meaning. My not getting on with "cancel culture" is irrelevant to it being poorly-defined.
I'm pretty sure that will upset the fashion-makers on the other side of the Atlantic.

When you were asked about the point of concern in this instance.
I was asked a question about CFC in particular. That's a change in scope. I also said "in this instance." I have been talking about other instances in this thread too. Some explicitly, many more implicitly. So no, I did not define the scope as cancel culture as it relates to CFC. Who is trying to impose that constraint, I wonder? :think:

Why didn't it?
See above. See above again. Make it a third time. I believe in you! Give it your best look.

However I was being narrow, remember? So the evidence I was talking about was pertaining to your suggestions about CFC specifically.
Unconstructively, and yes.

Opting to focus on a particular tangent doesn't mean I'm not aware of other tangents. It just means I'd like to pin down opinions specifically on that tangent, instead of letting the discussion be manoeuvred somewhere else.
Well if you want to pin yourself in that rut so bad, be my guest. You know what I don't like about direct arguments? The approach can be pretty obvious at times. Enough to anticipate and prepare for. I know you want me in that rut. That's where you're prepared to engage. I am however refusing to commit to occupying the rut, and that's frustrating you, apparently. It's one thing to maneuver yourself into the tangent. It's another thing to draw someone else there. Sometimes diction has the habit of provoking movement.

I'm well aware of folks' opinions on "woke progressives". But I guess other ideologies being in charge isn't objectionable? It certainly isn't for others. People are fine with, say, a bunch of conservatives being in charge (insofar as this has anything to do with running a site).
Well, now that you're off on this tangent...

I suppose it depends on which group of people you ask. Some people would not feel welcome in a conservative-dominated environment.

You keep talking about other groupings should be added (to this singular grouping we're focusing on), but in practise you don't. You wouldn't be here if you weren't concerned about "woke progressives" possibly affecting forum staff. It's only because of the supposed existence of such a group that you even made the allusion that started this tangent, by commenting on historical bans.
You're definitely charging at this assumption. This thread is about cancel culture, not specifically woke progressivism permeating a forum to the exclusion of people they don't tolerate.

Or would you? Would you care if a bunch of alt-righters were attempting a similar thing? To take an example, trying to get something changed in moderation that would benefit their old tactic of obfuscation through debate? That would be similarly concerning, right?
What I find interesting is the leap to asking whether I care about whether the alt-right would attempt to employ cancel culture, rather than asking the more basic question of whether the alt-right could or does engage in cancel culture, along with other groups. I gather this stems from a concern about which side or sides I am more sympathetic to than others. This ties back into your inquiry about why I am here. The topic is cancel culture. I am discussing it, and spending a lot of time on the concept of a cultural takeover. It takes (at least) two to tango.

To be clear, I'm being completely hypothetical and not talking about any specific poster here (you'd be surprised at how often people think they're being labelled by hypotheticals).
It wouldn't. Ping.

Oh that. Your post wasn't consistent. How you feel about that is another matter. On the one hand you claim politics are getting more cutthroat (on certain topics) and cited instances of forums getting more insular and people being annoyed off of them. The tools and results you have seen glances of. The imposition starting from outside the community in question seems to be where the rub lies. On the other hand, these dynamics are as old as time? Remember when I said static? You're stating that in other domains, the activity I'm describing has taken place. You somewhat understand what I'm getting at, at least historically. I'm assuming those two modes of thought will interact at some point, seeing as they share the same "locality."
You stopped short of explaining the inconsistency. Politics can both be getting cutthroat, and these dynamics can be as old as time. Assuming those are the two parts contrasted by putting one in each hand. I could be reading you wrong, but you're being pretty vague an increasing amount of the time, which makes reading you wrong easier than it would otherwise be.

It's not a matter of understanding what you're getting at. There are various readings of your comments, for each comment, a lot of the time. It seems on purpose. You want to generalise and be vague without committing to what you refer to as "narrow" specifics. But you raise specifics when you want to allude to something (as you did with forum moderation, which kicked off the tango).

The most involved reading I have is that you're silently equating "cancel culture", as a modern phrase that people use, with my general arguments about how the concept has existed throughout human history. In that case, my apparent contradiction is refuting the phrase as important while agreeing to the behaviour. If that assumption holds (which I doubt, because you're leaving a lot of open-ended remarks that can be interpreted a number of ways), my argument is that "cancel culture" isn't an accurate label for such a description. Which I've said before.
To a certain extent people have to make some base assumptions for a conversation to happen. We're not mindreaders. Many assumptions miss the mark. Some hit the mark. How to discern which is which and calibrate accordingly is an interesting topic on its own.
It could be an interesting topic. Regardless, the whole thing about assumptions wasn't for your benefit. Honestly, it wasn't for your benefit at all. People like to drop in and snag the odd line out of posts, particularly longer ones. It's tedious, but assuming the discussion is worth the time, I like to be sure so that people (generally) can't twist my words into accusations.
Still. I would assume this means you didn't quite learn enough about this type of discourse from those prior experiences. Fascinating. From my perspective, it's indirect and multi-angled, not circular. Contrast how you and Senethro reacted when I dropped my non-yellow heads of state question versus how amadeus acted. It was something of a ruse and he saw through it, as far as I can tell. He also delivered one of the better responses. When Senethro responded, he made an edit. I took this to be self-correction, impulse versus a more considered thought. The latter is what he, in fullness, meant. You appeared to resonate with his situation. You said you're uncomfortable with examining your edits. Also fascinating.
Oh, I did (learn). But like I said - I don't like assumptions. If I assume some of your motivations here is to throw a line into a thread and amuse yourself with the responses, it colours any constructive debate that could be had. It's better for my arguments if I don't. And yet, you're doing a good job to demonstrating that you are treating this (at least at times) as some form of game. Just like you tried again with those last two sentences, there. That's a mistaken assumption at the start of the quote, and another at the end of it. I hope that's helpful calibration :p
I take that as a lack of personal interest in its application, which is fine.
Another miss on an assumption. I'm interested in the phrase being used as a semantic cudgel against a variety of activities that actually have nothing to do with actual problems. That's an application of the phrase, whereas you're apparently more interested in the application of the (conservatively-defined) concept.
I'm pretty sure that will upset the fashion-makers on the other side of the Atlantic.
Which isn't a refutation that the phrase is poorly-defined (or loosely-defined, if you'd like. Maybe it's very well defined, and it's vague on-purpose).
I was asked a question about CFC in particular. That's a change in scope. I also said "in this instance." I have been talking about other instances in this thread too. Some explicitly, many more implicitly. So no, I did not define the scope as cancel culture as it relates to CFC. Who is trying to impose that constraint, I wonder? :think:

See above. See above again. Make it a third time. I believe in you! Give it your best look.
You commented on a post by Senethro saying how bannings (on CFC) were relevant to cancel culture. You said, and I quote, "a relevant topic in a thread about cancel culture". That's specifically what I replied to (starting with my post from "In that vein"). It seems silly that we've got to this level of going back through the thread. You defined the scope of this tangent as cancel culture as it relates to CFC (via bannings, and whose alleged influence is colouring said banning).

You keep answering points with more questions, or circular allusions to past replies (where you also don't give a specific, conclusive answer). I don't know what the point is, really. Maybe it's just your style. It strikes me as a very non-committal form of argument that lets you ask questions of others while offering up little concrete yourself. Not really my bag, but it's only an assumption I'm making anyhow.
Unconstructively, and yes.
Perfectly constructively. You're free to disengage at any time - I'm not making you reply. I want to discuss the narrow scope as defined by comment about forum bans (further refined by your particular alleged concern for "woke progressives", though that's mostly secondary). While relating itself to cancel culture. This tangent could've been done posts ago, but you seem to prefer introducing generalisations (without concluding the point they're supposed to relate to).
Well if you want to pin yourself in that rut so bad, be my guest. You know what I don't like about direct arguments? The approach can be pretty obvious at times. Enough to anticipate and prepare for. I know you want me in that rut. That's where you're prepared to engage. I am however refusing to commit to occupying the rut, and that's frustrating you, apparently. It's one thing to maneuver yourself into the tangent. It's another thing to draw someone else there. Sometimes diction has the habit of provoking movement.
If you dislike direct arguments, you shouldn't allude to specific things happening on specific forums. You should keep it general from the start. That doesn't prevent direct arguments completely, but it'd certainly reduce their frequency. I can't be blamed for responding with my opinions - to exchange opinions is why I visit this subforum (or most forums, really).

That said, the reason you give is more of this gamification silliness. I don't want you in any rut. I'm being genuine, though of course I'm taking care in my arguments. I want you to say things clearly and precisely - that doesn't mean it has to be short. You seem to think you're frustrating me (another assumption - we really have opened the gates here!), from what language I wouldn't know. You talk about manoeuvres and the like, but it was me asking for clarification. You're acting like you never wanted to answer on this tangent, which is baffling. Why spend time on all these posts if the tangent you created otherwise? Seems a bit pointless.
Well, now that you're off on this tangent...

I suppose it depends on which group of people you ask. Some people would not feel welcome in a conservative-dominated environment.
Some people wouldn't, no. It's like I said way back - rather typical in-group / out-group stuff. I'm glad we finally reached a conclusion with regards to a single point, however minor.
You're definitely charging at this assumption. This thread is about cancel culture, not specifically woke progressivism permeating a forum to the exclusion of people they don't tolerate.
Doesn't that fall under "cancel culture"? Isn't that why you specifically mentioned the relevance of said exclusions, and when asked further down the line, cited "woke progressives" as your concern in this particular instance?
What I find interesting is the leap to asking whether I care about whether the alt-right would attempt to employ cancel culture, rather than asking the more basic question of whether the alt-right could or does engage in cancel culture, along with other groups. I gather this stems from a concern about which side or sides I am more sympathetic to than others. This ties back into your inquiry about why I am here. The topic is cancel culture. I am discussing it, and spending a lot of time on the concept of a cultural takeover. It takes (at least) two to tango.
Hah, I used "tango" up there before properly reading your last bit here. That wasn't intentional. Neat, though.

I didn't ask if the alt-right engaged in such, because it absolutely engages in "cancel culture". So do mainstream conservatives and the like. There are examples in this very thread (of conservatives, specifically). So that's a redundant question. The salient question is whether you care about "cancel culture" as a whole (however nebulous), or if you only care about it when specific subsets allegedly engage in it. That's a simple yes or no answer, which I'm sure at this point you'll object to. It's not a trap, or something I am predicting you'll answer one way or another. It's another concluding point to a part of a tangent, is all.

The most involved reading I have is that you're silently equating "cancel culture", as a modern phrase that people use, with my general arguments about how the concept has existed throughout human history. In that case, my apparent contradiction is refuting the phrase as important while agreeing to the behaviour. If that assumption holds (which I doubt, because you're leaving a lot of open-ended remarks that can be interpreted a number of ways), my argument is that "cancel culture" isn't an accurate label for such a description. Which I've said before.
I would say implicitly instead of silently. Let me be a little less implicit. It's an extension of an age-old practice into new arenas. I've been bombing hints about that throughout the thread this whole time. I think I can determine where the impasse lies. When you said it wasn't your experience, you were referring to the use of the label "cancel culture," and when I responded that I thought your post disagreed with you, I was referring to the labeled activity, which you do recognize (through experience)? Map-territory divergence.

It could be an interesting topic. Regardless, the whole thing about assumptions wasn't for your benefit. Honestly, it wasn't for your benefit at all. People like to drop in and snag the odd line out of posts, particularly longer ones. It's tedious, but assuming the discussion is worth the time, I like to be sure so that people (generally) can't twist my words into accusations.
I get that sentiment. I like to try that sometimes, but from experience, they tend to do it anyway, and if I can set them up when they do, it's to their disadvantage. More on this in a bit.

Oh, I did (learn). But like I said - I don't like assumptions. If I assume some of your motivations here is to throw a line into a thread and amuse yourself with the responses, it colours any constructive debate that could be had. It's better for my arguments if I don't. And yet, you're doing a good job to demonstrating that you are treating this (at least at times) as some form of game. Just like you tried again with those last two sentences, there. That's a mistaken assumption at the start of the quote, and another at the end of it. I hope that's helpful calibration :p
I don't think it's a matter of the liking. Some assumptions are useful. Some assumptions cease to be useful. If I'm doing things right, better assumptions replace them. Well, as I have played so far in this thread, I have no issue coloring the thread a bit. It needs more orange, imo. Now if I was treating as a game and myself as a player, what would my primary objective be? How would that be different from earnest participation? These questions are meant rhetorically. I don't need to hear answers unless you really feel you need to give them.

Another miss on an assumption. I'm interested in the phrase being used as a semantic cudgel against a variety of activities that actually have nothing to do with actual problems. That's an application of the phrase, whereas you're apparently more interested in the application of the (conservatively-defined) concept.
That just indicates to me that you don't currently don't have a problem with the activities "cancel culture" is referring to. All I'm going to say to that is "stay tuned."

Which isn't a refutation that the phrase is poorly-defined (or loosely-defined, if you'd like. Maybe it's very well defined, and it's vague on-purpose).
It wasn't a refutation of your claims about the label "cancel culture." It was a joke in response to you saying the word ordinateur was out of fashion. Deaf ears and all that.

You commented on a post by Senethro saying how bannings (on CFC) were relevant to cancel culture. You said, and I quote, "a relevant topic in a thread about cancel culture". That's specifically what I replied to (starting with my post from "In that vein"). It seems silly that we've got to this level of going back through the thread. You defined the scope of this tangent as cancel culture as it relates to CFC (via bannings, and whose alleged influence is colouring said banning).

You keep answering points with more questions, or circular allusions to past replies (where you also don't give a specific, conclusive answer). I don't know what the point is, really. Maybe it's just your style. It strikes me as a very non-committal form of argument that lets you ask questions of others while offering up little concrete yourself. Not really my bag, but it's only an assumption I'm making anyhow.

Perfectly constructively. You're free to disengage at any time - I'm not making you reply. I want to discuss the narrow scope as defined by comment about forum bans (further refined by your particular alleged concern for "woke progressives", though that's mostly secondary). While relating itself to cancel culture. This tangent could've been done posts ago, but you seem to prefer introducing generalisations (without concluding the point they're supposed to relate to).
I have been trying to get off this tangent. You're still here. I thought it reached its natural terminus two pages ago. The loops are time travel. :crazyeye:

If you dislike direct arguments, you shouldn't allude to specific things happening on specific forums. You should keep it general from the start. That doesn't prevent direct arguments completely, but it'd certainly reduce their frequency. I can't be blamed for responding with my opinions - to exchange opinions is why I visit this subforum (or most forums, really).
When the approach is appropriate...

So about my argument style:

In my opinion: proper dialectical argumentation proceeds from a set of priors that have been mutually assented to. The problem with political argumentation is that those priors either do not yet exist, or they are irreconciliable on some level. If we have different axioms and they are relevant to the problem at hand, we cannot agree. If I'm lucky, this axioms are explicit and we can start from there. If not, well I have to start by bringing out the implicit axioms, whether mine or my interlocutors. In an academic setting someone might proceed from a working hypothetical set of axioms. Outside of it, their beliefs are their beliefs. Certain types of questions, usually direct ones, tend to provoke very constricted answers, and while this is expedient for answering the question, it reveals very little about the process that generated the question, or the process that answered it. Indirect questions allow for a multitude of interpretations, and therefore a multitude of responses. Which interpretations you tend to answer reveals something of your thinking, and the succession of questions I follow-up with reveals something of mine, and vice versa. In this way we can sideload some mental information in the discussion overlapping the content of the questions. In a way we're getting our mental processes in sync... we're dancing... doing a little tango. Maybe after some time we'll be doing matching steps following the number to its conclusion.

That said, the reason you give is more of this gamification silliness. I don't want you in any rut.
I disagree.

I'm being genuine
Mostly
, though of course I'm taking care in my arguments.
No.
I want you to say things clearly and precisely
Yes.
You talk about manoeuvres and the like
You brought it up and I rolled with it..
but it was me asking for clarification. You're acting like you never wanted to answer on this tangent, which is baffling.
Past a certain point, repetition gets tiresome.
Why spend time on all these posts if the tangent you created otherwise? Seems a bit pointless.
You're still interested in it. If you still need clarification I would recommend better questions, although the interrogatory style is up to you.

Some people wouldn't, no. It's like I said way back - rather typical in-group / out-group stuff. I'm glad we finally reached a conclusion with regards to a single point, however minor.
You're welcome. Back to the labeling issue.

Doesn't that fall under "cancel culture"? Isn't that why you specifically mentioned the relevance of said exclusions, and when asked further down the line, cited "woke progressives" as your concern in this particular instance?
Uh, yeah. :yup:

Hah, I used "tango" up there before properly reading your last bit here. That wasn't intentional. Neat, though.
I don't know about intentional, but it was coincidental.

I didn't ask if the alt-right engaged in such, because it absolutely engages in "cancel culture". So do mainstream conservatives and the like. There are examples in this very thread (of conservatives, specifically). So that's a redundant question. The salient question is whether you care about "cancel culture" as a whole (however nebulous), or if you only care about it when specific subsets allegedly engage in it. That's a simple yes or no answer, which I'm sure at this point you'll object to. It's not a trap, or something I am predicting you'll answer one way or another. It's another concluding point to a part of a tangent, is all.
You don't really discount the utility of the label by, well, using it. Anways, to your question. It's not a simple answer, especially not the way you presented that question. My answer is a multi-level yes. Yes to "cancel culture" as a whole, because it tends to have a ruinous effect where it is going rampant, and yes to my individual case, since I am not structurally super-independent from the rest of you, and therefore my social group and myself are liable to be on the receiving end of it.

This is what people who talk about 'cancel culture' are like:

Screenshot_20210608-162908_Facebook.jpg

There's often no substance to their allegations of 'cancelling'. People being called out for something without any consequences would also be considered cancelling.

'Cancel culture' is bunk.

This is what people who talk about 'cancel culture' are like:

View attachment 599216

There's often no substance to their allegations of 'cancelling'. People being called out for something without any consequences would also be considered cancelling.

'Cancel culture' is bunk.

Well if they wanted to they could just use "educate yourself" as an excuse. Energy savings and all that.

I would say implicitly instead of silently. Let me be a little less implicit. It's an extension of an age-old practice into new arenas. I've been bombing hints about that throughout the thread this whole time. I think I can determine where the impasse lies. When you said it wasn't your experience, you were referring to the use of the label "cancel culture," and when I responded that I thought your post disagreed with you, I was referring to the labeled activity, which you do recognize (through experience)? Map-territory divergence.
Of course it's an extension into new arenas. But new arenas develop all the time. What makes this one (or these ones) special?

By the by, though it's incidental now anyway, it not being my experience was both relating to cancel culture (on fan-run forums), and any actual specific activity that falls under it's incredibly-broad umbrella. To be less implicit, it's a non-issue. It doesn't happen, or happens so infrequently as to not contribute to moving the baseline experience. As we've already accepted that depending on the person, the ideological makeup of the forum staff could be objectionable regardless of the actual ideology, the only salient problem you seem to have is ideology taking an active part in shaping a forum community.

Which is an interesting topic in of itself, because it's a truism in that of course it always does, but the way it manifests can differ. The same as in any community.
I don't think it's a matter of the liking. Some assumptions are useful. Some assumptions cease to be useful. If I'm doing things right, better assumptions replace them. Well, as I have played so far in this thread, I have no issue coloring the thread a bit. It needs more orange, imo. Now if I was treating as a game and myself as a player, what would my primary objective be? How would that be different from earnest participation? These questions are meant rhetorically. I don't need to hear answers unless you really feel you need to give them.
Why are these questions meant rhetorically?
That just indicates to me that you don't currently don't have a problem with the activities "cancel culture" is referring to. All I'm going to say to that is "stay tuned."
Insofar as "cancel culture" refers to any problems, there are a select subset that can be problematic, and they tend to always refer to employer-employee relations and power dynamics. My repeated position on that is "stronger worker protections". The rest of "cancel culture" I maintain is a smokescreen for accountability and other such things, and is inherently biased in its direction and application.
It wasn't a refutation of your claims about the label "cancel culture." It was a joke in response to you saying the word ordinateur was out of fashion. Deaf ears and all that.
Sure, it was a joke. It didn't answer my question though, hence the point. Sorry for being a buzzkill, I guess.
When the approach is appropriate...

So about my argument style:

In my opinion: proper dialectical argumentation proceeds from a set of priors that have been mutually assented to. The problem with political argumentation is that those priors either do not yet exist, or they are irreconciliable on some level. If we have different axioms and they are relevant to the problem at hand, we cannot agree. If I'm lucky, this axioms are explicit and we can start from there. If not, well I have to start by bringing out the implicit axioms, whether mine or my interlocutors. In an academic setting someone might proceed from a working hypothetical set of axioms. Outside of it, their beliefs are their beliefs. Certain types of questions, usually direct ones, tend to provoke very constricted answers, and while this is expedient for answering the question, it reveals very little about the process that generated the question, or the process that answered it. Indirect questions allow for a multitude of interpretations, and therefore a multitude of responses. Which interpretations you tend to answer reveals something of your thinking, and the succession of questions I follow-up with reveals something of mine, and vice versa. In this way we can sideload some mental information in the discussion overlapping the content of the questions. In a way we're getting our mental processes in sync... we're dancing... doing a little tango. Maybe after some time we'll be doing matching steps following the number to its conclusion.
Right, so our approaches to argumentation are pretty much polar opposites. This explains a lot of both the repetition and the lack of resolution (which on some level you must want, because you've already said how you thought the tangent would've been done two pages back). So the problem to me is how do you reconcile your indirect approach with ending tangents that you are done with (for whatever reason). This would help us both get more out of what we want from the discussion.

For example, politically, I'm very sure the differences between us are irreconcilable. If this also helps you move on, then great. I don't want to waste your time, if that's what's happening. I just prefer things spoken (or typed), as supposed to left hanging. You may consider it a good exercise, but it's very one-way from at least the discussion we've had. Like I said earlier, it lets you extract value while committing to little yourself. That may be some of the point, I don't know.
I disagree.
I know you do. You haven't explained why, though, except to allude to my motive, which is impossible for you to know. If you can't trust me when I say I'm being genuine, then it doesn't matter what I say and this conversation is no longer in good faith, if it ever was. I thought we were getting good mileage out of it, but I'm often wrong on that thought.
Mostly
No.
Yes.
You brought it up and I rolled with it..
Past a certain point, repetition gets tiresome.
You're still interested in it. If you still need clarification I would recommend better questions, although the interrogatory style is up to you.
In order:
  1. One hundred percent. I'm not demeaning you, I'm not trying to get you to break forum rules (because that would be dumb, among other reasons), I'm speaking things that I believe, both as simple opinion and from my own (anecdotal) experience. You're free not to believe me, but if you don't then just say so and we'll call it quits.
  2. Yep. It seems to me, again, that you're doing that thing where you throw out short assertions about me and my behaviour, personally, and seeing how I respond.
  3. Good.
  4. I didn't bring up manoeuvres at all. That said, this is the problem with your lack of specificity (again). Can you clarify what I brought up and how you rolled with it?
  5. It sure does! But I'm trying my best with the repeated non-answers you seem to favour. Your preference for for indirect questions is what causes this repetition, because my focus is getting answers to specific questions before moving on. I don't like to lose track of points made.
  6. What constitutes a "better" question, to you? As our definitions may (obviously) differ, contextually.
Uh, yeah. :yup:
So your previous objection of "this thread is about cancel culture, not specifically woke progressivism permeating a forum to the exclusion of people they don't tolerate." is moot, because we have now agreed the latter is a subset of the former. The thread doesn't have to specifically be around the thing for us to discuss the thing. I get that you want out of the tangent, but I'm interested in continuing where appropriate. It's as simple as that. Like I said, you don't have to keep going. You choose to. It doesn't matter why (because I'm still interested, or whatever). The point is your choosing to.
You don't really discount the utility of the label by, well, using it. Anways, to your question. It's not a simple answer, especially not the way you presented that question. My answer is a multi-level yes. Yes to "cancel culture" as a whole, because it tends to have a ruinous effect where it is going rampant, and yes to my individual case, since I am not structurally super-independent from the rest of you, and therefore my social group and myself are liable to be on the receiving end of it.
But I wasn't asking about your individual case. We've already been through the point that various groups can instigate it, and thus various groups can naturally be on the receiving end. I was asking a very straightforward yes or no "is cancel culture problematic regardless of who instigates actions attributed to it?". If that's answered by the first yes, then that's absolutely fine.

Of course it's an extension into new arenas. But new arenas develop all the time. What makes this one (or these ones) special?
I suppose from a detached perspective it isn't. It's another variation on a theme. Most people have certain social attachments so they will be swept in one way or another.

By the by, though it's incidental now anyway, it not being my experience was both relating to cancel culture (on fan-run forums), and any actual specific activity that falls under it's incredibly-broad umbrella. To be less implicit, it's a non-issue. It doesn't happen, or happens so infrequently as to not contribute to moving the baseline experience. As we've already accepted that depending on the person, the ideological makeup of the forum staff could be objectionable regardless of the actual ideology, the only salient problem you seem to have is ideology taking an active part in shaping a forum community.
Stay tuned.

Why are these questions meant rhetorically?
At a certain point you either trust I have a real interest in this discussion, or you don't. That choice is yours to make, with or without my input.

Insofar as "cancel culture" refers to any problems, there are a select subset that can be problematic, and they tend to always refer to employer-employee relations and power dynamics. My repeated position on that is "stronger worker protections". The rest of "cancel culture" I maintain is a smokescreen for accountability and other such things, and is inherently biased in its direction and application.
Stay tuned for the accountability, then.

Sure, it was a joke. It didn't answer my question though, hence the point. Sorry for being a buzzkill, I guess.
You said "cancel culture" wasn't a useful label. There are groups that use it. You said the word ordinateur was out of fashion. I made a crack about the country which is both prominent in the fashion world and chock full of native speakers who use that word. Kinda sad, isn't it?

Your question has to do with the label "cancel culture." You think it relates unusefully to something between ingroups and outgroups, like cancelling. I keep bringing up locations, real and virtual. This interaction reminds me of a guy I knew in college. The phrase I remember him best for is "I don't get it." At some point, either the brain wants to verb, or it doesn't.

Right, so our approaches to argumentation are pretty much polar opposites.
This is outside the scope of this thread, but this is funny to me for philosophical reasons. I doubt this is true. Then again, I'm not sure how I could tell in full detail. If I could, I don't think I would be here.

This explains a lot of both the repetition and the lack of resolution (which on some level you must want, because you've already said how you thought the tangent would've been done two pages back). So the problem to me is how do you reconcile your indirect approach with ending tangents that you are done with (for whatever reason). This would help us both get more out of what we want from the discussion.
I think the tangent reached its natural conclusion. That doesn't mean it can't be reiterated. Play it again, Sam. You probably think differently. Same input, different applications of thought.

For example, politically, I'm very sure the differences between us are irreconcilable.
They're not, but I'm pretty sure I'm more limber right now than you.

If this also helps you move on, then great. I don't want to waste your time, if that's what's happening. I just prefer things spoken (or typed), as supposed to left hanging. You may consider it a good exercise, but it's very one-way from at least the discussion we've had. Like I said earlier, it lets you extract value while committing to little yourself. That may be some of the point, I don't know.
I don't need help moving on. You indicated you wanted to explore this topic, and you asked me, so I'm responding in the way I see fit. I do consider this good exercise, but if you feel you do not want to continue or cannot continue, do what you feel you need to. I think you can catch up. It hasn't been one way, lol. I am getting value out of this conversation, but it doesn't have to be that way exclusively.

I know you do. You haven't explained why, though, except to allude to my motive, which is impossible for you to know. If you can't trust me when I say I'm being genuine, then it doesn't matter what I say and this conversation is no longer in good faith, if it ever was. I thought we were getting good mileage out of it, but I'm often wrong on that thought.
I have. You have also told me what you want. We're getting good mileage to the post if the onlookers are anything to go by.

In order:
  1. One hundred percent. I'm not demeaning you, I'm not trying to get you to break forum rules (because that would be dumb, among other reasons), I'm speaking things that I believe, both as simple opinion and from my own (anecdotal) experience. You're free not to believe me, but if you don't then just say so and we'll call it quits.
  • When I say you were being "mostly" genuine, that is what I mean: I think the exceptions are of the unintentional, unaware kind. Those kinds of slips can be tricky to pin down sometimes, beliefs, memories, and all.
  • [*]Yep. It seems to me, again, that you're doing that thing where you throw out short assertions about me and my behaviour, personally, and seeing how I respond.
    This was an assessment of your argument.
  • I didn't bring up manoeuvres at all. That said, this is the problem with your lack of specificity (again). Can you clarify what I brought up and how you rolled with it?
    Speaking of slips: https://forums.civfanatics.com/search/169194704/?q=manoeuvres&t=post&o=date&c[thread]=667790
  • [*]It sure does! But I'm trying my best with the repeated non-answers you seem to favour. Your preference for for indirect questions is what causes this repetition, because my focus is getting answers to specific questions before moving on. I don't like to lose track of points made.
    Neither do I, but I find having a picture in mind makes them easier to track down again if I do. Quite a few points in the picture, or the mosaic. Contrast your perception of "answers" with your perception of "evidence." I think some expectations are involved.
  • [*]What constitutes a "better" question, to you? As our definitions may (obviously) differ, contextually.
  • In my experience, the quality of the question can constrain or enhance the quality of the answer. You ask a question. You get an answer. That's a basic input-output scenario. You don't know how I think. I don't know how you think. My ability to answer questions you ask depends somewhat on how well I can convert the answer I would give into the form you are expecting, or vice versa. If I want to connect the dots (points) between my questions and your answers, my follow-up questions should be some relationship to the answers you gave me. For example, when I said I thought the tangent about CFC concluded two pages ago, you could have asked what I thought the conclusion was, when it was, why I though it was a conclusion, etc. Some patterns will fit, some won't. A constellation is worth more than a single point.
So your previous objection of "this thread is about cancel culture, not specifically woke progressivism permeating a forum to the exclusion of people they don't tolerate." is moot, because we have now agreed the latter is a subset of the former.
I said instance. ;) I could also say "a manifestation of." Not moot.

The thread doesn't have to specifically be around the thing for us to discuss the thing. I get that you want out of the tangent, but I'm interested in continuing where appropriate.
Not sure the word appropriate fits. Anyways. That's a single instance. I'm more interested in the instances in aggregate, where they are compounded.

Which is an interesting topic in of itself, because it's a truism in that of course it always does, but the way it manifests can differ. The same as in any community.
I pulled this from earlier in your post. I am not surprised that ideologies form in communities or that communities form around ideologies. Communities interact. The interactions multiply.

It's as simple as that.
You might say, too simple. Or not.

But I wasn't asking about your individual case. We've already been through the point that various groups can instigate it, and thus various groups can naturally be on the receiving end. I was asking a very straightforward yes or no "is cancel culture problematic regardless of who instigates actions attributed to it?". If that's answered by the first yes, then that's absolutely fine.
This is one question where a lack of specificity in vantage point complicates the answer. You said you don't want my personal case. Here are two other possible answers: It's always problematic for the group to be canceled. In the grand scheme of things, cancel culture is a part of the universe.

Let me extremify that last answer: In the grand scheme of things, genocide is a part of the universe. Detached.

Stay tuned.
For what? An application of "cancel culture" that I might dislike? Remember, my objection is with the term and how it is used. Specific applications attributed to the label I may already find objectionable, but it's hard to tell if we never discuss said specifics.
At a certain point you either trust I have a real interest in this discussion, or you don't. That choice is yours to make, with or without my input.
I trust you do. That has nothing to do with my question, though. Did you mix up a reply somewhere?
Stay tuned for the accountability, then.
I've been waiting over half a decade in some cases for accountability. It doesn't happen. That's why people get frustrated, and in a large part why the actions attributed to "cancel culture" end up happening. Because established processes aren't enough to hold provably abusive people to account.

Yes, I'm aware the criticism of such things being leveraged against targets that aren't proven of anything. Just to head things off there. But if you're interested in causation (which if you want less of it, you should be), you need to understand why, and you need to accept the validity of why it became a "thing" in the first place.
You said "cancel culture" wasn't a useful label. There are groups that use it. You said the word ordinateur was out of fashion. I made a crack about the country which is both prominent in the fashion world and chock full of native speakers who use that word. Kinda sad, isn't it?
I assumed you were talking about the English word, not the French. As we're, y'know, speaking English :D
Your question has to do with the label "cancel culture." You think it relates unusefully to something between ingroups and outgroups, like cancelling. I keep bringing up locations, real and virtual. This interaction reminds me of a guy I knew in college. The phrase I remember him best for is "I don't get it." At some point, either the brain wants to verb, or it doesn't.
You don't describe anything in particular, so your reference to locations is mostly hypothetical at this stage (and throughout, really). If you refuse to accept that arguing indirectly is going to result in a meandering discussion, that's not on me. I like specifics. If I don't get them, and I limit the scope of my assumptions by default, you're going to think I don't "get it". That's your assumption, though.
This is outside the scope of this thread, but this is funny to me for philosophical reasons. I doubt this is true. Then again, I'm not sure how I could tell in full detail. If I could, I don't think I would be here.
Insofar as I prefer direct arguments and you don't, sure, we are. I guess that constrains the statement too much for your liking, though.
I think the tangent reached its natural conclusion. That doesn't mean it can't be reiterated. Play it again, Sam. You probably think differently. Same input, different applications of thought.
So why point to the previous natural conclusion? If we can keep on going again (and again), and we're both okay with the other's engagement . . . what was the need to comment on the apparent tiredness you have of repetition?
They're not, but I'm pretty sure I'm more limber right now than you.
I'm pretty sure they are, but I'm not here to convert, simply explore. As for warming up (no comment if you meant lithe, because that isn't me at all), eh. I have limited time on here throughout the week, so I will frame my replies in terms of having a good block of time to think them through. "right now" is a pretty superfluous term, really.
I don't need help moving on. You indicated you wanted to explore this topic, and you asked me, so I'm responding in the way I see fit. I do consider this good exercise, but if you feel you do not want to continue or cannot continue, do what you feel you need to. I think you can catch up. It hasn't been one way, lol. I am getting value out of this conversation, but it doesn't have to be that way exclusively.
Contradictory. If it hasn't been one way I wouldn't need to catch up, nor would you talk about how the value you obtain could be exclusive (relative to an apparent lack of my own).

Which is redundant anyway, because if you don't need help moving on, that's all good. Me not getting the answers doesn't mean it's not valuable. I'd prefer the answers of course, but that's just preference. But it is funny to see you refer to it as an exercise. I once knew someone who described that as his method of debate (exactly). No way are you two the same person, or at least, that would be a silly assumption, but it does lead me to assume that your goal isn't actually to see any point through to a conclusion. In crude terms, you treat it as a way to advance yourself, and it's other folks' fault if they can't "play" by the same rules.

I'm not placing a value judgement on this approach, I'm simply calling it as I see it. Am I wrong?
I have. You have also told me what you want. We're getting good mileage to the post if the onlookers are anything to go by.
I'm sure we are.
  • When I say you were being "mostly" genuine, that is what I mean: I think the exceptions are of the unintentional, unaware kind. Those kinds of slips can be tricky to pin down sometimes, beliefs, memories, and all.
  • This was an assessment of your argument.
  • Speaking of slips: https://forums.civfanatics.com/search/169194704/?q=manoeuvres&t=post&o=date&c[thread]=667790
  • Neither do I, but I find having a picture in mind makes them easier to track down again if I do. Quite a few points in the picture, or the mosaic. Contrast your perception of "answers" with your perception of "evidence." I think some expectations are involved.
  • In my experience, the quality of the question can constrain or enhance the quality of the answer. You ask a question. You get an answer. That's a basic input-output scenario. You don't know how I think. I don't know how you think. My ability to answer questions you ask depends somewhat on how well I can convert the answer I would give into the form you are expecting, or vice versa. If I want to connect the dots (points) between my questions and your answers, my follow-up questions should be some relationship to the answers you gave me. For example, when I said I thought the tangent about CFC concluded two pages ago, you could have asked what I thought the conclusion was, when it was, why I though it was a conclusion, etc. Some patterns will fit, some won't. A constellation is worth more than a single point.
  1. So why limit yourself to "mostly"? To test my reaction? :D
  2. Sure. But you didn't qualify it, and as such I reject the simple assertion.
  3. The search actually misses the start - you were right, but not by the search (which misses your saying, or possible typo (both are valid), of "maneuvre" the post before, which replies to me saying it spelled the other way). This stems from the whole "rut" thing anyhow, so nevermind.
  4. Some are, but they're relatively individual qualifiers. We're not going to understand each other for as long as things remain implicit, which is why I'm glad you've become less so, at times.
  5. In my experience, it depends entirely on the intentions of the poster. If they're here to answer questions, even a poor question will still be answered to the best of the answerer's ability. If they're not, well, then, they don't. You're reinforcing the latter. I could've asked what the conclusion was two pages ago, and the discourse would've taken a different path. I can't rewind time, though. So it's the loops for us instead.
I said instance. ;) I could also say "a manifestation of." Not moot.
There's no semantic difference. One relates to the other in a capacity that makes it fair for debate. It doesn't matter that this thread wasn't specifically about the thing we were then discussion. Moot.
This is one question where a lack of specificity in vantage point complicates the answer. You said you don't want my personal case. Here are two other possible answers: It's always problematic for the group to be canceled. In the grand scheme of things, cancel culture is a part of the universe.

Let me extremify that last answer: In the grand scheme of things, genocide is a part of the universe. Detached.
The two other possible answers don't answer the very simple "yes" or "no" (for any partial no, or lack of interest, or the like). Really, "yes" is the only relevant answer here. Either it matters to you regardless of who is targeted, or it only matters to you when select groups are targeted. I mean, there is room for nuance I guess, but it relates to power dynamics, and the concepts of "punching up" vs. "punching down". But we can only have that nuance if you clarify the scope of your concern.

Like I said already, if your previous answer covers this, then that's more than fine.

Top Bottom