Cancelling peace treaty after a few turns cheating?

Dominico

Prince
I was just playing a game where after a prolonged war the chinese asked for peace. I took a fair amount of gold off them in return for 10 turns of peace.

Now normally I have stuck to this 10 turns at least, and then returned to fighting soon after but this last game i got itchy for a fight sooner. Well while playing around i went to the current treaties section and then cancelled it. I sort of felt like i had cheated as i thought these treaties were unbreakable.

What im asking in a really long winded way is are they supposed to be unbreakable, did i find a dodgy way to circumvent this or are you meant to be able to cancel a peace treaty early?

One of the side effects seems to be really really high war weariness now though. No one in my country seems impressed with my pointless war with china.

My first response would be: did you check the breakdown of your diplomatic stance with this nation-before AND after you broke the treaty? If you have a saved game, I would strongly recommend that you do check. If you get an extra red minus to your name after you break the treaty, then it means treaties are not unbreakable-because you are paying a diplomatic cost for doing so. Even so, throughout history we hear of nations who quite happily broke peace treaties, but we don't consider them 'cheaters' do we? ;) All is fair in love and war :p.

Aussie_Lurker.

Ohh thanks.

Well the standing is not any worse than it should be, im -6 for declaring war on them (twice) and the other negatives for religion. Nothing for being a treaty breaker. I guess there is some hidden mechanic for me being untrustworthy though.

Thanks for your reply!

You may have gained negatives with other civilizations for being untrustworthy however, you may want to check that.

I don't think there are any special modifiers for this. I didn't even think you were supposed to be able to cancel a peace treaty. I'm so happy to find out you can!!! There should be a (-) modifier for this tho

It was worse with no one. However so far in this game when i get into bother with an enemy, say they declare war on me or similar, they just refuse flatly to talk to me. The Romans were not at war with me but refused to talk. Montezuma attacked and refused to talk for an excessively long time!! So either im just unlucky or breaking the treaty early makes you untrustworthy and makes future convorsations and treaties harder.

I may be imagining all this though. I thought as blitz said that it was supposed to be an unbreakable 10 turn treaty. But i suppose its more "realistic" that its not unbreakable!

Dominico said:
It was worse with no one. However so far in this game when i get into bother with an enemy, say they declare war on me or similar, they just refuse flatly to talk to me. The Romans were not at war with me but refused to talk. Montezuma attacked and refused to talk for an excessively long time!! So either im just unlucky or breaking the treaty early makes you untrustworthy and makes future convorsations and treaties harder.

I may be imagining all this though. I thought as blitz said that it was supposed to be an unbreakable 10 turn treaty. But i suppose its more "realistic" that its not unbreakable!
No matter who declares the war, you can't speak to your opponent for 10 turns. Even if they attacked! As to the Romans, did you cancel your deals with them recently? If so, it's 10 turns before you can start trading or speaking again.

I think the peace treaty should be unbreakable, it has to be a bug that you can break it.

If you really want to make a temparary peace with an enemy and go to war again right away, you should sign a Cease Fire. I had assumed they both seemed like very appropriate diplomatic treaties.

-The peace treaty is a longer term agreement of no aggression
-The cease fire is a temporary stop fighting agreement, but because hostilaties may still be high, war can break out again at any moment

These both seem very realistic to me. I think a variable length peace treaty should also be added. Like a minimum 10 turn treaty, plus I would like to sign an additional 15 turns to that peace treaty. That would even be more realistic.

Peace Treaties ARE unbreakable for the first 10 turns. Either party can cancel them with no penalty after the 10 turns have elapsed. If the OP is correct that he canceled the treaty before the 10 turns were up than this is a bug. More likely is that 10 turns elapsed and he didn't notice. @ Dominico, do you have a save the turn you cancelled the treaty?

I dont think so. But i know for sure i cancelled it. DEFO DEFO.

I will have a look for a save but im sure i wont have one. I think i can do it again though. I think i did it in the civ info screen for each culture. I basically clicked it in there and it cancelled. You know where you can cancel trades and so forth.

I just checked now and it should be unbreakable as you say since it says in the tooltip unbreakable!!!

I will check for a save and try to do it again. Think its a bug but not a major one. I will just stop myself doing it in the future but if its doable in multiplayer its a bit dodgy!!

are you sure it was a peace treaty and not a cease fire, because you can cancel a cease fire

I managed to do this too, but differntly.

I had made peace with Nap. then a few turns later he became master of H.C, not knowing this, cause I didnt check my political advisior (and confirmed by checking the save), I attacked H.C. which in turn caused me to return to war with Nap.

The war weariness didnt seem to get affected much because Nap. had to declare war on me to protect his vassal H.C.

I have since used this strategey often but I am now wondering if this is a problem.

I've seen AI's cancel peace treaties early before. I found that strange......

Top Bottom