Cannon boat diplomacy?

City-states - are you also top in world military rankings? If yes, then yes.

Major empires - they will rather die ignominious deaths than give in to your monstrous demands, you monster!:mad:

so what is point of the demand tribute option if you cant exact tribute from ai? Anger them more and hope they DoW you?

so what is point of the demand tribute option if you cant exact tribute from ai? Anger them more and hope they DoW you?

I usually do it so that when they reject I have a pretext for war. Though very rarely they foil me by giving in.

When you have a ton more advanced units than them, have them lined up on their borders, and they are AFRAID of you.

Otherwise its a nice casus belli flavor for one to get into a war or three. Hey, the AI does it to you too!

As Attila I once successfully demanded the only single luxury from Darius. Probably because I just killed 2 civs and then massed horse archers & rams on his borders. For roleplaying sake I demand tribute before declaring war when playing as Mongols, Huns etc. :)

When you have a ton more advanced units than them, have them lined up on their borders, and they are AFRAID of you.

Otherwise its a nice casus belli flavor for one to get into a war or three. Hey, the AI does it to you too!

In my experience, this is not the "qualifier" to make AI "afraid" in a diplo context; it simply makes them "angry".

In this game it kind of works. Sort of...

Pull your ships up with a few land units. Demand tribute. If they say no, then declare war and bombard a coastal city. Land your units and sack the city. In the peace offering, give back the city in exchange for goods. That works some of the time.

For city states, yea just pull up to the border and demand tribute. They'll give in but their protectors will be mad.

In my experience, this is not the "qualifier" to make AI "afraid" in a diplo context; it simply makes them "angry".

Yeah, its really random, and they will come at times when you least expect it.

Top Bottom