Cannons before industrial age??!?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Ballisto, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Ballisto

Ballisto Chieftain

It's pretty odd that cannons are placed on the tech steel - right before the industrial age. They had cannons in the siege of constantinople - and that was in the 1400's. It's really odd when my stack of riflemen and grenadiers has to be backed up with catapaults!

2. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

You can get them then. If you beeline to them you can get them when your opponents have middle ages tech.

3. Lord Chambers

Lord Chambers Emperor

The tech tree is a bit Euro-centric. Still it reaches out to be inclusive with Civil Service, and uh...

4. otomik

otomik Chieftain

I end up using catapults really late in the game, I just use them to lower defenses, I don't do the suicide cats thing. I think other people have said the same, it does feel kind of weird, artillery and catapults don't charge the enemy so it's odd how they implemented that.

5. Sohan

Sohan Warlord

Kinda makes me wish they had the old ability to bombard any nearby tile (instead of having it either bombard only a city or attack).

And I guess what they mean by cannons is the significantly better variety of cannons that started appearing in the French Revolution and Napoleonic part of European History (or thereabouts) and continued in use (although somewhat modified) up until artillery really started showing up in World War I.

6. Yarmoss

Yarmoss Chieftain

Dont worry. Firaxis is going to fix this.

When Warlords comes out you'll be able to support your Riflemen and Grenadiers with Trebuchet, instead :crazyeye:

7. Older than Dirt

Older than Dirt King

I'm sure that the developers gave consideralbe thought to the use of catapults. Dont' think that Civ 4 catapults are not your run-of-the- mill catapults just because they can't go into mountains. They can attack St. Louis across the Mississippi River and can take the train to New York City. They are impervious to termites, too. They can knock helicopters out of the sky and crush wounded seals. And, they do it all with a secret technology which has been lost. Catapults - the super unit.

8. Sohan

Sohan Warlord

"Sir, the Soviets are invading! Their tanks sweep through the countryside, blasting away everything in their path, and their numerous crack squads of infantry are armed with the latest rifles. Our cities are surrounded! What should we do?"

"Send out the Catapult division!"

9. Dagoril

Dagoril Chieftain

Cannons are only 2 techs away if you already have Riflemen. I usually beeline to Steel once I get Gunpowder, and then start to upgrade any existing cats right away. I usually have Grenadiers and Cannons out there before I get Rifling, as they seem to give more of a punch on the battlefield if your opponent is still only using muskets (and certainly if they are still pre-gunpowder hehe). Once you get Riflemen, research Chemistry next, then Steel. Bingo, there's your cannons :)

Get Gunpowder. (Musketmen)
    Get Chemistry. (Grenadiers, Frigates)
    Get Steel. (Cannons)

10. naterator

naterator Bravely running away

right on, dagoril, cannons are priority 1 in the gunpowder era. unless i really need riflemen in a hurry, i'll go for cannons and grenadiers, followed by riflemen ASAP. this is an era made for war, and most people acknowledge that catapults are often the difference maker after feudalism; well, cannons are way better, and you get to build grenadiers while you wait? i'll take grenadiers with cannons to invade a civ who's beelined to rifleing anyday.

11. The Keeper

The Keeper Warlord

Cannons act more like muskets in the way they fire.

I propose a new unit called a bombard available with gunpowder.

Give them a str of 7.
    Make their bombardment of cities much greater than that of a catapult - almost to cannon levels.

This means they are about the same as a catapult at stack attack, but much better at bombarding defenses.

More interesting reading on cannons.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannon

12. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

The old medival cannons took hours to set up and fire, so I've read somewhere. "Modern" industrial cannons were much better. I suppose one could always mod in a medival cannon at chemistry or something.

13. jimbob27

jimbob27 Emperor

I actually find researching steel can be a disadvantage a lot of the time. You can have 5 cats for every 2 cannons, so they reduce city defences just as fast, if not quicker. They're more expendable too. I think nothing of throwing cat's away to weaken enemy stacks, but cannons seem to expensive and precious to throw away in such a manner.

14. Chamaedrys

Chamaedrys Emperor

But bombarding riflemen and grenadiers with catapults is no fun. The cats are just dying before they do enough damage.

15. naterator

naterator Bravely running away

took the words right out of my mouth. suicide cats vs riflemen will never damage that top defender. collateral damage is nice, but a suicide cannon can save a few units by weakening up the best defender enough to kill him, while still dealing out collateral damage.