Cannot install-install CD seems to be empty?

DeceasedHorse

Prince
I have been unlable to even install Civ4. Autoplay does not initialize when I inser t the CD into the drive, nor can I find any files at all on the disc via explorer or Run. Normally, I would figure this is a physical problem with the CD, but I tried sticking the install CD in someone else's computer and was able to get the autoplay spash screen right away. Just wondering if anyone was having a similar problem.

I have a DVD version of Civ 4. It's the same problem you have. My DVD drive just won't read the DVD. The DVD drive just keeps on trying to read and nothing ever appears. My friend has Civ 4 on his comp and my DVD brought up the prompt menu and was able to play the game. I have no idea what's going on.

Additionally when I restarted my comp, it will not go into Windows until I ejected the DVD.

Should I return my copy? My DVD drive is also 4-5 years old, so is age the problem?

Suggest that you both update your drive's firmware. Older drives can have a problem with the Civ 4 copy protection. Newer firmware has fixed this problem for others.

Thanks for the response. My DVD drive is from Hitachi, but their website is of no help :(

I'm not patient enough to search through hundreds of pages on google for the firmware. I could probably use a DVD burner anyways. Would a new DVD drive fix this problem?

navarl said:
Would a new DVD drive fix this problem?

Impossible to say for sure. I suggested the firmware upgrade both because it might fix the problem and because it costs nothing. However, your system might have other problems that will prevent Civ 4 from running.

I suggest that you post your DxDiag file so we can see if your system is otherwise suited to run Civ 4. This information might also allow someone to point you to a site that has newer Hitachi firmware.

I have my DxDiag file on my comp. It's too long to post so what pieces of info is the best? All graphics, sounds, and music tests are successful.

FYI. I'm only an average joe with no technical knowledge about computers. I had to look up DxDiag on google to know what it was :p

Use the Go Advanced button at the bottom of the page to post a reply. When you do so, you'll see a Manage Attachments button that can be used to attach the DxDiag file to your reply. Post again if you need additional instructions.

Your system (other than the DVD problem) is adequate to run the game. If you were going to buy a DVD burner anyway, I'd say go ahead. However, you should be aware that many others who also have "adequate" systems still have problems.

I doubt that you're going to find updated firmware for the drive. It's been discontinued by Hitachi.

If you want to continue troubleshooting with your current system, you might just try another installation and leave the system alone for 20 minutes or so when it stops responding. Sometimes this works. Other tips can be found here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=137819

Good Luck!

My other friends pretty much advised the same thing. I'm going to try to return my DVD version for the CD version if I can. I'm also looking for a good DVD burner but that will be Plan B.

Oh, BTW. The game was never installed. My drive just can't read it in the first place. No prompt even came up. It just kept spinning and spinning until I ejected. I've also heard that the DVD version is UK coded so without an update my drive can't play it. Since Hitachi discontinued making my drive then I'm sunk.

Thanks again Petek! You're Awesome!

Top Bottom