Cannot liberate city states that were puppets of Venice

The Tollan

Prince
During a war against Venice I captured one city state that it had turned into a puppet. I found that the liberate option did not appear so I turned it into a puppet state. I then demanded another of Venice's puppets, Genoa, as part of the peace treaty and again the liberate option did not appear, so this city also became a puppet.

There seems to be no way to liberate these two cities. I checked the city screens and tested annexation (then reload). The cities are still in a state of civil unrest though.

Is this a bug or did something else go wrong? Having them as puppets is not too big of an issue, but I am playing as Ethiopia so this may count against the UA bonus.

Nope - working as intended... The same goes for Austria marrying city-states - they are no longer city-states, and can no longer be liberated. Instead, they are identical to any other Austrian (or Venetian) founded city (if Venice could found cities).

As someone stated in another thread, CS's, for the most part, willingly joined Austria and Venice, so it makes sense that they cannot be liberated.

Top Bottom