Cannot locate the CD-ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKDiveDude

Chieftain
I have not had much luck with this release. As a matter of fact I have never had such bad experience with any program.

First I was such a naive sucker and preordered CIV IV so I could get it when it came out, and even in the Collectors Edition, then I could not play it until the second patch (1.52), and now since I have been unable to create a backup, or rather playable copy so I could store the original in a safe place, the CD-ROM after about two months in my CD-ROM drive, is dead!

Cannot locate the CD-ROM

Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application

Click here for more information about this error (bullfeathers LINK LEADING TO A BLANK WEBPAGE!?!)

OK

Here the URL of the blank page, or at least page which has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with any game errors:

http://www.2kgames.com/?product=136093115&locale=1033&error=6

Oh well gonna put the CD-ROM and a copy of my EB Games receipt in a envelope and send it of 2KGames, DEMANDING a replacement!

I am NEVER going to BUY another 2KGames released game. From now on I'll download a pirate version, which I can copy and play as much as I want!!!

This Soap Opera just gets worse and worse!

2KGames did not respond to my first email, requesting an address so I could return the defect CD-ROM, so on Feb. 19th I resend the email see below:

RESEND:

Emailed a request for a return address 11 days ago, and have NOT heard a peep!?!

Since I have been unable to copy my bought version of Civilization 4, the CD-ROM has been in my CD-ROM drive since I bought it, about three months.

Now the program, Civilization IV CANNOT recognize the cd-rom, see error message below:

"Cannot locate the CD-ROM

Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application

Click here for more information about this error

NOTE: That link leads to a page with NO information about that error!?!

http://www.2kgames.com/?product=1360...e=1033&error=6

It is now unreadable or rather unrecognizable and I therefore need your address so I can send the defect CD-ROM back for a replacement.

Thanks!

And here is the reply I got on Feb. 24th from TECHSUPP@TAKE2SUPPORT.COM:

Subject: Regarding Case Number 691811

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for contacting Take 2 Technical Support.

Unfortunately we cannot solve your problem with the information you provided, could you please send us the following information to enable us to find a solution that will enable you to play the game.

The information we require can be sent to us by attaching the direct x report to the email that you send back.

To get the direct x report, do the following steps:
- with the left mouse button click on the start menu
- with the left mouse button click on the run button
- type in the text box the following word : dxdiag
- this will bring up another window, allow the activity bar to finish and disappear (bottom left of window), this may take a minute or two, depending on the speed of your computer.
- if requested if direct x is to check the signatures of the drivers, simply select the "No." option.
- now click on the button at the bottom right of the window that says "Save All Information..."
- select a location on the computer that you feel you are able to find, ie. Desktop. And click save/ok

Please be sure to delete all previous correspondence when replying. This will help us to process your response in a more timely and efficient manner.

Kind Regards,
Take 2 Technical Support

Are these people COMPLETE ******s or what?!?

That looks like some sort of automated reply. My guess is that noone actually read your original email.

I would suggest that you give them a call. In the back of the manual is a page with their phone number. The address may be there, as well. I still think I would give them a call first before just sending the CD.

I had something similar and fixed it by hooking up an old DVDROM drive I had lying around at the back.

Note that you need a DVD drive not just a CD drive.

Good Luck
Gus

TakeTwo now writes this:

Subject: Regarding Case Number 691811

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for contacting Take 2 Technical Support.

You will need to send the game to the below address along with a covering letter explaining the problem. Please note for any scratched or cracked CD's there will be a replacement fee of $7.50 This should be in the form of a cheque and made payable to Take 2 Interactive. You will need to send the cheque along with the damaged cd (inc. full packaging) and a covering letter detailing the problem. If the disc is within the 90 day warranty and proof of purchase is sent with it and the product is deemed to be a manufacturing fault then no charge will be made for replacement Take 2 Games Media Replacement c/o JOAG Ohio 9271 Meridian Way West Chester, OH 45069

Please be sure to delete all previous correspondence when replying. This will help us to process your response in a more timely and efficient manner.

Kind Regards,
Take 2 Technical Support

------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you all think? Should I sue them and/or write an article submitting it to EVERY gaming magazine, offline and online, about their highway robbery, only caused by natural wear and tear, because I could NOT make a working backup copy!

Let me try and sum up my experience with Civilization IV.

1) Received wrong (French) Tech Tree.
2) Blue and green colors on quick chart, virtually identical. Bad choice of colors!
3) Not able to consistently play game until second patch.
4) CD-ROM unreadable after two months of play, meaning 3-4 months after purchase.
5) TakeTwo takes almost one month to reply to email.
6) Demands a highway robbery price, about 1/6 of the full game price, for a replacement CD-ROM which has been worn by my drive, no cracks or scratches. Had a backup copy been possible by my burning program Nero 6, this could have been avoided.

Sum: I am NEVER going to buy another TakeTwo game EVER AGAIN! From now on I'll just wait for the cracked version to be available, which will most likely be released after a few NEEDED patches anyways.

Question: Which program can I use to create a working backup copy of protected games, including Civilization IV?

To be honest with you there is probably nothing wrong with the disk. have you tried it on another comp? it may be a fault with your drive or even a conflict with another program on ur system.

civ_god06 said:
To be honest with you there is probably nothing wrong with the disk. have you tried it on another comp? it may be a fault with your drive or even a conflict with another program on ur system.

Every other CD-ROM and DVD-ROM I have works fine, but of course they have not been in my CD-ROM drive as long and as many times as the Civilization IV CD has, simply because I play CIV IV, or used to play before this crap, more than other games. The CD has simply been worn thin by my drive, BECAUSE the morons at Firaxis and/or TakeTwo has implemented a copy protection so I cannot make a backup copy! Freaking jerks!

Now Firaxis and TakeTwo take a hike, as I have just found a NOCD patch/crack with will bypass you ******ed CD-ROM check requiring those who purchased your crap to keep the CD in every time they play the game.

With the following patch I can put in my favorite music cd while playing:

Civilization IV v1.52 [ENGLISH] No-DVD/Fixed EXE
Moderator Action: Link Removed
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Enjoy!

Next up I need to get a CD surface cleaner, and then somebody please message me what program I can copy the game cd with, thanks.

Turner_727 said:
Moderator Action: DKDiveDude - warned. NoCD Patches are not allowed by the forum rules and are considered piracy.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Oh I am crapping in my boxers of fear now - NOT!

NoCD pathces are so legitimite users don't have to wear out their original CD-ROM or play a music cd of their choice while playing the game!!!

Moderator Action: Text deleted

Moderator Action: DKDiveDude - warned again, piracy and public disrespect of moderator authority. As I said, NoCD patchs are condsidered piracy here Therefore they are not allowed. If you have a problem with this, I suggest you take it up with Thunderfall.

I also suggest you read the forum rules. Especially the part about respecting the moderator's authority. The above post is certainly in violation of that as well.

Turner_727 said:
Moderator Action: DKDiveDude - warned again, piracy and public disrespect of moderator authority. As I said, NoCD patchs are condsidered piracy here Therefore they are not allowed. If you have a problem with this, I suggest you take it up with Thunderfall.

I also suggest you read the forum rules. Especially the part about respecting the moderator's authority. The above post is certainly in violation of that as well.

Here is the section from the forum rules regarding "Moderator Authority":

"Respect the authority of moderators
Public discussions of moderator actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, signatures, or any other profile information. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private. If it's not resolved or if you don't receive a reply from the moderator after 24 hours, you can then PM or email Thunderfall.

Moderator Tags should never be edited or removed, nor should they try to be emulated or copied. Doing so can result in an automatic ban."

According to this, my post you are referring to is NOT a violation to the "Moderator Authority" rules as:
1) I did NOT discuss your action on that post.
2) I did NOT protest your action in titles, avatars, signatures, or other profile information.
3) I did NOT edit or remove Moderator Tags.

However I do think it is unfortunate that this forum does not help, or condone users discussing how they can play their legitimate copy anyway possible.

Yes I do have a (misplaced) authority problem, especially when it prevents freedom of speech.

Please feel free to do with my account as you're in the mood for. For me I have no problem creating another account using a different username and IP address.

I suggest you read the rest of the rules. Specifically the parts about "If you have a problem with a moderator action, PM the moderator, don't post about it." Or somesuch, I'm paraphrasing. But it says that.

I'd also like to point out that your freedom of speech does not apply here. If you think it does, I suggest you re-read the first amendment.

Lastly, creating multiple accounts is also against the rules. It will lead you to a quick ban.

3 day ban, and thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom