1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cannot patch to 3.19.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Immortal Ace, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Immortal Ace

Immortal Ace Prince

I have Civ IV complete and tried both patches from the website and when clicking 'look for updates' within the game.

Either way, I get the patch install wizard. I get all the way to after it asks me if I want to register to Firaxis news letter. After clicking 'install' from this point the wizard just shuts off like I CTRL + ALT + DEL it.

No explanation or any error boxes. It just goes off. I check my build for my game and I am still on 3.17.

Any suggestions?

2. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

3. Immortal Ace

Immortal Ace Prince

The link from the sticky is the same from this website when I go to Civ IV > Patch and Update > 3.19

That has the same result from the in game patch I mentioned. :confused:

4. Immortal Ace

Immortal Ace Prince

-Update-

Ok, Civ IV complete comes with patch 3.17. I downloaded and installed 3.17 from this site (redundant, I know) but then it allowed me to install 3.19.

Conclusion:

Civ IV Complete's 3.17 patch that automatically comes with the game is screwed.

5. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

Not a big surprise. I think the Complete edition had some other very odd things about it.

6. Immortal Ace

Immortal Ace Prince

Oh? What else?

I used to have the actual games and expansion packs before losing them on a move and had to rebuy it all via complete. I haven't played in a while but I do not think I see anything out of the ordinary.

7. Danelius90

Danelius90 Hunter (of vegetables)

yeah, what's up with the complete version? I've not had any trouble with anything as far as I can tell...

8. Jerrymander

Complete stores its information in a different directory than Vanilla and BTS, which made for some serious patching issues around 3.13 and 3.17.

There's nothing strange about it as far as the actual game is concerned.

9. Danelius90

this is strange... I've been reading other posts about this problem, but I don't have it?? I have the complete version of civ 4, but 3.19 installed just fine (once I worked out after 2 attempts the in game update wouldn't work), and the game runs perfectly as far as I can tell.
    Should I install 3.17 just in case? Or will that confuse things now 3.19 is installed ok.
    incidentally, are there any small errors that I might have missed?
    (by the way, I bought civ4 complete last year around January. in the UK in case that makes a difference :/)

10. Jerrymander

If it installed just fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

11. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

You could check to see if you're truly updated to 3.19 by downloading and installing the Better BUG AI mod. If that mod works, you most definately are patched to 3.19 and everything is working correctly, also it's installer wol't let you install if it detects BtS isn't updated to 3.19. If you decide to play it, definately drop a difficulty level, as the AI is greatly improved. Also most players here recommend using the BUG mod anyway, most succesion games use it (that's why you see the extra information displayed in the screenshots in the succession games forum), better AI just makes the AI play smarter as well (or less stupid depending on how you look at things), no game rules changes.

Better BUG AI

12. Danelius90

thanks :) Yeah, I've got BUG installed (the one for 3.19) and that works ok, and when I installed 3.19 there were noticeable differences (the culture on buildings was displayed and tanks could no longer be promoted to barrage or whichever the collateral damage one is). I might try the better AI one just to check.