cannot run civ II on xp - will trade information

garry norman

Chieftain
Am getting the following message when trying to load Civ II, can anyone help me?

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS etc.

I understand that XP doesn't support DOS programs but was hoping that someone can help me get arround this problem.
:sad:

Hi Gary, I copied the files from CIVII to my desktop into a folder and then
put it all into my C drive and clicked on the little icon with the mountain sort of image and a circle and it ran like a charm, I have XP SP 2, only one fuction so far not working, the council but other than that, sound is fine, and all the actions in the game work fine too. I am not sure what version it is, I have had it a long long time in my files, I am a game researcher but havent played CIV II until yesterday. I am not sure what your error prompt means, but maybe if you try copying the files manually and then try to activate the exe. it may play., It did for me, and I was preparing to do DOX BOX and Defend,and all of that, but so far, it works fine. I have an AMD with 400 GB of HD memeory, 1.5 GHz of RAM, and am running a Forceware 6600 and have a Audigy 2 ZS Snd card and it is a set up I created to study games from the DOS up thru the most modern eras. Good luck with yours and I will keep an eye to see how you do.

CrisGer said:
Hi Gary, I copied the files from CIVII to my desktop into a folder and then
put it all into my C drive and clicked on the little icon with the mountain sort of image and a circle and it ran like a charm, I have XP SP 2, only one fuction so far not working, the council but other than that, sound is fine, and all the actions in the game work fine too.
No surprise, the council needs files on the CD. And I think Civ 2 doesn't use the registry to store the path to the CD drive, so it might be tricky to have it look at the folder on your hard drive...

Thanks again Titi, much appreciated your post on my thread about the missing council, I try to protect my older CD's when possible, but in this case i can see it is important to use it. thanks again. i was quite amazed that CIV II worked so well with my XP SP2 system, it seems to do just fine with older DOS programs, even runs Caesar II well, but no sound yet, will have to work on that. CIV II looks like a great great game, thanks again.

Glad to have helped.
Like you, I try to avoid using my CDs as much as possible. There are ways to do so, but unfortunately if you don't own the original CD that becomes piracy, so I won't discuss it.

Hi and thanks, Yes I do own it, and just ordered all the other CIV's from a CD company including some newer take offs on the CIV series, set in China and others, The CIV III set in Egypt sounds fun so I am getting that one too.

Thanks again, I expect my council to be on hand tonight, did not have time last night. thanks.

:D
Did you see my avatar? It's a list of all the versions I have!
Civ 2, Civ 2 CIC, Civ III, Civ III PTW, Civ III Conquests, Civ IV, CTP, CTP2, SMAC, SMACX.

I just found my copy of Civ 2, I love this game and it used to work on XP. After one of the 'security' updates, I now get a message saying "The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS or MS Windows applications. What gives? Is there a fix for this? I have tried the fix above but doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

Top Bottom