Cannot see nameplate for Cities

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Sir Clive, May 27, 2021.

1. Sir Clive

Sir Clive King

I have been playing Civ since Civ 3 ( about 15 years or so I think , mostly Civ 4.

I have just started playing Civ 6 and have been trying to learn from the tutorial and by watching YouTube ( in particular Potato McWhiskey startup video )
    One very annoying thing that I can't seem to discover how to fix is the missing 'NamePlate' for cities.

When I look at PMcW video, all of his cities have a nameplate bar above the city centre square on the map showing the city name, size and icon of what it is producing as I am used to from Civ4
    But none of my cities have this as you can see in the screenshot below.
    This is the same in the tutorial.

Can anyone please let me know how I can see this ?

Thanks

upload_2021-5-27_17-10-48.png

2. Vandlys

Vandlys King

You should indeed definitely see a banner over the city. I can't remember seeing this bug, and I don't know of any mod that singles out that specific UI element and turns it off.

Are you using any mods?

3. Sir Clive

Sir Clive King

No - no mods.

4. Alaindor

Alaindor Warlord

Never seen this bug before either

5. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

I have found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/gpbc8y/city_name_not_appearing_on_map_after_new_frontier/
    In that case it was a specific mod that was causing it. If you did subscribe to any mods, and you thought you started a new game without activating any mods, you should check again. Because sometimes I "randomly" see mods getting active (probably after the mods getting an update?). If you definitely have not subscribed to any mods, then you should ignore this.

I also found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/civ6/comments/i8cqbs/city_names_not_appearing_diplomacy_icons_missing/
    Here it wasn't clear what the problem was and if they solved it. But you could try verifying integrity of the files as suggested in that topic. But a sidenote, he did mention he made a fresh install on a new computer without downloading anything else. But subscribed mods in the workshop download automatically.

Other ideas are maybe try lowering graphic settings or see if the city names in strategy view works, by clicking "=". If it works and you have no problem playing in strategic view, then why not play it like that until you solve it...? Now I remember that sometime ago I had an issue with UI too, can't remember if it was city-names or something else. Toggling to strategic view the UI had no problems, but back in normal view the problem still existed. It turned out to be a UI mod.

In short, some options I would have tried:
    • check mods?
    • verify file integrity
    • lower graphic settings
    • strategic view

6. Sir Clive

Sir Clive King

Here's the strategy view ( different game , so different city ) .
    I'll check out the other suggestions - thanks for that !
    BTW on startup I have option for Direct X 11 or 12. I had always gone with 11 ( the default ) I tried 12 this time but didn't seem to make any difference.

upload_2021-5-28_9-29-56.png

7. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

I have seen that bug before (although it pre Rising Tide, IIRC).

I think it was a simple a verifying game files to fix the issue, as was noted earlier.
    I wish you a swift resolution.

AntSou likes this.
  8. Sir Clive

Sir Clive King

Hi All

Apologies for bumping this but I have checked the game files ( which I guess are AppOptions.txt, GraphicOptions.txt, SoundOpts.txt and UserOptions.txt ? ) but I cannot see anything obvious to change.

I have just finished my first game and am about to embark on a second, but I must admit that although I can obviously get by without the banners it is very tiresome to play in the later game when I have a number of cities I need to micromanage.

Unfortunately I don't have another machine to install it on so that is one option I have been unable to try.

Would be vey grateful if anyone has had any further thoughts

Thanks

9. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Make sure your game is up-to-date. It should be 1.0.12.9. MIssing part of UI is a Lua error. So, also check lua.log. Usually this is a typical mod problem, but since you claim you use no mods then the most probable cause is that you have a desynced UI files from the game core. Similar thing happens e.g. when you try to load old save files (created with an older game core) into a current UI.

10. Sir Clive

Sir Clive King

Haha - Thank you so much for that ! My game does say 1.0.12.9 (564030) on the front screen When I look in the lua.log I find multiple instances of this

CityBannerManager: Instance Manager built with bad Root Control [DistrictBanner] [Anchor]
    Runtime Error: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\InstanceManager.lua:179: attempt to index a nil value
    stack traceback:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\InstanceManager.lua:179: in function 'BuildInstance'
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\InstanceManager.lua:36: in function 'GetInstance'
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\WorldView\CityBannerManager.lua:518: in function 'CityBanner:CreateDistrictBanner'
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\WorldView\CityBannerManager.lua:231: in function 'CityBanner:Initialize'
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\WorldView\CityBannerManager.lua:142: in function 'CityBanner:new'
    (tail call): ?
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\WorldView\CityBannerManager.lua:1862: in function 'OnDistrictAddedToMap'
    [C]: in function 'func'
    [C]: in function '(anonymous)'

I've been working in software development for over 30 years so I am used to seeing stack trace messages like this ( normally in code that I have written :( :( ) but unfortunately I can't fix this one as I don't have the source code :( :(

11. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

I'd risk to stick my neck out and suggest you move your Steam games install folder outside the Program Files (x86) folder, maybe onto another disk. Then your issue might just go away. Just a hunch.

12. AntSou

AntSou Deity

Have you done this:

It's one of the suggestions. A lot of the issues I've had in the past which happened right after installing a game were solved with this.

I use Directx11 and have all my games installed in the "Program Files x86" folder. Never had any issues.

13. Fomalhaut

Fomalhaut Chieftain

If "verify integrity" says that everything is ok but you still have that problem - just an idea.
    Next to lua.log there should be as well modding.log -- so maybe check there in the list of loaded mods, to see if there is something relevant to some custom CityBanner or UI building mod. (I know you said you didn't have but just in case..)

Well, out of curiosity I checked those referenced lua files in your stack trace - they seems human readable, so I suspect that it is source code interpreted at runtime and not bytecode
    However I personally couldn't get much of that source code besides that the problem is in the branch for "a banner for a district that is not the city-center"

14. Galvatron

Galvatron Prince

I've had this before. I can't remember the solution, but I know the solutions I've tried... it's caused by mods i think btw... even if you delete the mods... this includes the first party mods the game comes with.

The solution you havent been suggested yet is the one I think you need:

Delete the file in 'my games' in 'my documents' which is NOT in steam btw. When you start the game it will regenerate this file, so don't worry about that.

Hope this helps.

Edit: worth noting that none of the prodcedures that have been listed here affect this file. That includes uninstalling the game, this documents file will remain through reinstallations

15. Sir Clive

Sir Clive King

Unfortunately I am running on a laptop, so I only have the one disk :( If do move this to somewhere else on the C:\drive , then how does Steam know where to find it ?

Thanks AntSou - I am relatively new to Steam , can you please tell me where to find this page ? I'm familiar with the Steam->Settings menus and submenus but couldn't find it anywhere under there.
    I'm not so familiar with anything else under the Steam menus unfortunately.

BTW for those who asked about mods - this is what I have on the startup screen

upload_2021-6-20_19-51-31.png

Don't know if it is clear enough to see, but 'Mods in use' just says 'Aztec civilsation pack'

16. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

You have no mods, only aztec DLC. If you had mods it would be there in the same window with that DLC.

• Go to your library in steam,
    • right click on civ 6
    • click properties
    • Select local files
    • click verify integrity button

17. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Strange bug. I have seen invisible name plates, but never missing name plates. They weren't technically invisible, but transparent since I had too many civs in a game, and not enough jersey colors to choose from. That can be fixed by using a mod. I can't explain a missing one. Maybe reinstall the game. Although I'd hate to do that myself, I'd lose my hall of fame. Maybe a video card/graphical issue? Check drivers maybe.

18. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

If verifying game cache does not work I'd uninstall and re-instlal the game entirely.

Your issue is few broken lua files that I'm not entirely sure why are broken.

When one of the patches came out my entire Dedication Popup from Rise and Fall/Gathering Storm wouldn't display, verifying didn't fix it.

The stack trace is actually findable, since it points to the UI lua files which are freely visible to end-user (for modding purposes).