Canon Map(s)?

Rakshasa72

Warlord
SMAC featured what I like to call a Canon Map of "Planet" that was the official map that the game story takes place on. This helped form the narrative and context that the SMAC story takes place on. Civ5 also has a primary Canon Map(s) the maps of Earth. Include for people who wanted to play the grand game of history on the planet it originally took place on.

Do you think that Civ:BE will/should ship with Canon Maps that players could optionally use instead of playing on random maps?

Considering CivBE doesn't take place on a specific planet in a specific star system, unlike Civ or SMAC, I see no need for a "canon" map.

That said, it's probable maps will be generated according to a seed, which people would be able to share in case the resulting planet is particularly interesting. Or for things like challenges and such. To be honest, I can't recall whether that's the method recent Civs use, or if players simply share turn 1 savegames.

I always felt the canon SMAC/X map was created because they wanted to create certain features (long isthmuses, two main continents, the inland sea and so on) that the random map generator didn't produce reliably.

Since then, Civ's map generators have a come a long way. Map generators like Continents+, Terra or cephalo's PerfectWorld3 are a lot more sophisticated and interesting.

Considering CivBE doesn't take place on a specific planet in a specific star system, unlike Civ or SMAC, I see no need for a "canon" map.

Well-done static maps are nice as a way to eliminate one variable. I don’t really feel like the static maps that ship with V are well done, but the shipping map scripts are pretty good IMHO.

I always felt the canon SMAC/X map was created because they wanted to create certain features (long isthmuses, two main continents, the inland sea and so on) that the random map generator didn't produce reliably.

That was the tactical aspect, and what you say is true. The other thing was the multi-tile landscape features (mesa, rain forest, uranium fields, unity wreckage, and several others) which the random generator also handled poorly. I played SMAC a lot, but almost exclusively with the canonical “huge map of planet” and never got bored with it.

Since then, Civ's map generators have a come a long way. Map generators like Continents+, Terra or cephalo's PerfectWorld3 are a lot more sophisticated and interesting.

Agreed, but I still wish there were one or two really good static maps that shipped with V. I like the British Isles one the best so far, but no desert (so the CS get hung up waiting for Petra), and no natural wonders.

I played SMAC a lot, but almost exclusively with the canonical “huge map of planet” and never got bored with it.
Oh, neither did I and I like it a lot. It just feels more "real" than the random maps, especially with the locations of the landmarks. :)

It'd be nice if they had one "canon" map per biome configuration, especially for multiplayer it's sometimes nice to have a "fixed" map.

Actually, I think a really good and interesting set of handcrafted maps with interesting features and names could make a sensible and worthwhile DLC, they did that to some extent with Civ 5 and unlike selling civs piecemeal, I think maps are a valid thing to sell.

Why not have both? Canon maps used to be there but now you could also have the other maps.

Well, instead of "canon maps" we have "canon biomes". If the map script generator is good enough, there shouldn't be a need for designed maps.

That is almost certainly not true. A carefully tuned hand crafted map will offer better balance, and perhaps others good things.

I'm pretty sure that whatever carefully tuned hand crafted map is put before me to play on, I'll find faults and things not to my liking. ;)

I'm pretty sure that whatever carefully tuned hand crafted map is put before me to play on, I'll find faults and things not to my liking.

Your right. Devs shouldn’t bother. Haters gonna hate, better not trying to listen to users.

Assuming they do the obvious thing and have the same tools as Civ5, and use Steam Workshop, I'm sure there will be a range of maps on Workshop quite quickly, including some that are very well-crafted. And the inevitable adapted-map-of-Planet-from-SMAC.

Top Bottom