Can't believe this hasn't been fixed - cheap tier 2+ units

nimling

Prince
How to replicate this bug:

- Avoid researching physics until you have affinity level 2.
- Research physics.
- Go into unit upgrades and pick your updates for Rangers.
- Congratulations, you just have a really cheap tier 2 unit at the price of tier 1! Have fun breaking the game.

The same process can be repeated for any other unit type bar soldiers, if you can reach the affinity level for their upgrade without researching the unit. Rangers are the easiest to avoid until t2 is available, combat rovers is possible if you can live without thorium reactors and don't want Robotics.

Might want to fix this for BERT if you haven't already. Hard to believe that this hasn't been squashed by now, game is so easy if I accidentially trigger this bug.

I would have thought the new upgrade screen would fix this bug, but no dice. Can post pictures to confirm that this exists.

Edit: Sample attached. Popped two Affinity buffs from expeditions, so I couldn't avoid it.
I've been imposing a self-penalty of researching all basic units before their affinity upgrade.

Attachments

• 2015-10-13_00001.jpg
    2015-10-13_00001.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 241
Bump. This is a pretty big issue, if anyone can replicate this bug it would help confirm so it gets fixed. Not sure if it exists in RT.

Wow, I'm surprised a big, full-price title has bugs like this that are completely unaddressed, easy to isolate, and have a dramatic effect. If someone tells me this is intended behavior, they're ridiculous.

Then again BE has so many issues it's not even funny. It gets annoying when people go out of their way to defend bad game design, and the result of that is that bad game design breeds more bad design and bugs, like this.

Not entirely sure what you mean by "unaddressed", a Firaxis developer isn't going to come into this thread to personally attend to you.

A lot of people are waiting on patch news, I think, so something like this would more likely to be included there.

What kind of response is that? This is something that should have been detected and fixed when the game was released, or at least well known by now.
The sign of a toxic community is when obvious bugs are dismissed and people go out of their way to belittle those who point out glaring flaws. This is the problem with the communitas patch, and why it's a buggy, poorly designed, and unplayable piece of garbage (even by Civ5 standards). I pointed out why their patch sucked and I got the cold shoulder, just like here.

I definitely need to find a better game to play.

It seems like a trivial thing to fix and obviously not intended, so yeah I would expect it to be confirmed and fixed once reported.

The above post is exactly the kind of arrogance which assures Civ5 and BE will remain in the garbage heap, by the way. A competent developer would take the ticket, see if the bug is valid (which can be confirmed by anyone willing to follow the simple steps outlined above), and determine the cause (which again is probably something trivial - maybe even fixable by a modder). It is not a big thing for Firaxis to release a monthly patch for most outstanding bugs and tweaks, assigning some low-level grunt to maintain their existing products until the game is sufficiently playable.
Instead of doing things the easy and competent way which makes the game better, arrogance like this exacerbates problems that could be fixed, something which has plagued BE since its inception. Then again, once enough people were suckered into buying what was billed as the second coming of SMAC, I suppose quality doesn't matter, right?

This forum is a known cesspool and shilling platform anyway, but stuff like this just makes you guys look worse.

Honestly this is one of the more critical fan-forums I've seen wrt. developer attitudes in general, and I've seen a lot. I doubt attacking the moderator team is going to get them to understand the point you're making.

You're also making a huge assumption in assuming this bug is trivial to fix. As a developer, I also know for a fact that trivial issues don't get hotfixed. Major, game-breaking issues do. Pushing out patches costs money.

Moderator Action: Neither speculation about how easy or hard something is to fix nor speculation about its priority is helpful for resolving bugs.
What would be useful is if anyone can reproduce this, especially since there was a patch released earlier today.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Top Bottom