Can't bombard city below 50 defence?

12padams

Prince
So I am trying to take over a certain city that had 280 defense. It says due to the castle I can't attack those in the city until the defense is down to 35. So I have been bombarding the city for 4 turns and then as soon as it gets to 50 defense it won't let me bombard it anymore (the bombard symbol disappears from the attack options). I waited a turn then I could bombard again but it won't let me get the defense below 50. What should I do!

Here's a screenshot:

See bug thread, I had the same problem. Can your Units attack the city even the defense is 50% not below 35%? Mine could, just try it. You won't see the odds, but your units should be able to attack and even conquer the city!

Wow they can! but... is this bug going to be fixed soon? It's really bad!

Is the defense 50 or is it actually nothing as I attack them?

I hope it's fixed soon... I already uploaded a savegame with this problem in the bug thread.

Good question... I think it's the 50%.

I plan to look at it fairly soon. First I need to complete the work I've been doing for AIs attacking through choke points, and look at the reported crashes and hangs (which are always top priority) that are outstanding - right now I think there is just one hang from SO (the reported crashes are likely just unpatched V31 issues until I get evidence otherwise)

It think this tag is caused by maxDefenseReduction tag added by TB.

When NoEntryLevel is higher than that than we have UI bug where combat odds no show. TB add code to save us from uncapturable cities but he forgot about UI in that specific situation.

I plan to look at it fairly soon. First I need to complete the work I've been doing for AIs attacking through choke points, and look at the reported crashes and hangs (which are always top priority) that are outstanding - right now I think there is just one hang from SO (the reported crashes are likely just unpatched V31 issues until I get evidence otherwise)

I thought TB worked that out, but i have noticed also, about the 50% sometimes it reads that, but the Castle Gatehouse says "must be below 30%" ?? but sometimes the 50% means 0%, i think thats what is confusing everyone, and me also??

I can't change the building displays that say 'must be below whatever amount' (well... I can but I don't think I should... that's just the ability of the building itself and that ability is conditionally overridden by any total minimum defense that ends up higher than the amount specified by that building - the minimum becomes how far down you have to get the city since you can't get it any further reduced.)

BUT the only way I think you can see this information is to be looking in the city right? So rather than reviewing the city's buildings to see if they have such a minimum attackable limit, rely, instead, on the Defense hover popup that you can get by hovering over the Rook symbol in the upper rightish portion of the city screen. THERE it should break things down correctly.

Now, if there's a portion of the combat help popup display I'm unaware of I can see why this is confusing. Otherwise, where are you guys looking to rely on your information on when you can attack and when you can't that makes this so confusing? It sounds like I've overlooked a display somewhere. (Or didn't update the display quite correctly where I figured players were already looking for this information in the first place. There COULD be a bug there but I recall it testing out fine.)

I can't change the building displays that say 'must be below whatever amount' (well... I can but I don't think I should... that's just the ability of the building itself and that ability is conditionally overridden by any total minimum defense that ends up higher than the amount specified by that building - the minimum becomes how far down you have to get the city since you can't get it any further reduced.)

BUT the only way I think you can see this information is to be looking in the city right? So rather than reviewing the city's buildings to see if they have such a minimum attackable limit, rely, instead, on the Defense hover popup that you can get by hovering over the Rook symbol in the upper rightish portion of the city screen. THERE it should break things down correctly.

Now, if there's a portion of the combat help popup display I'm unaware of I can see why this is confusing. Otherwise, where are you guys looking to rely on your information on when you can attack and when you can't that makes this so confusing? It sounds like I've overlooked a display somewhere. (Or didn't update the display quite correctly where I figured players were already looking for this information in the first place. There COULD be a bug there but I recall it testing out fine.)

Also - does the AI realize it can actually attack in these circumstances, or is it being fooled into thinking the defenses need further reduction (which hey cannot be)?

Also - does the AI realize it can actually attack in these circumstances, or is it being fooled into thinking the defenses need further reduction (which hey cannot be)?

hmm... good question, though I think it shouldn't be considering that if it were to ask the functions that compile this value for how low the city must be to be able to attack, it should come up with the same answer that the 'rule system' utilizes. Obviously this isn't happening somewhere in the displays though and I don't know where this message people are talking about is coming from so its worth a look to find that and to take a look at the AI along the way.

hmm... good question, though I think it shouldn't be considering that if it were to ask the functions that compile this value for how low the city must be to be able to attack, it should come up with the same answer that the 'rule system' utilizes. Obviously this isn't happening somewhere in the displays though and I don't know where this message people are talking about is coming from so its worth a look to find that and to take a look at the AI along the way.

I reported it in the bug forum HERE: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12660256&postcount=261

Same problem here. Really difficult not being able to see the odds when you're attacking a city! Please fix. Thank you :goodjob:

It is fixed (on the SVN). I'll upload a new patch DLL sometime later today that will include the fix (and any others made since the last patch update)

Great news! I might grab the SVN or I can wait for the next version. Thanks

Top Bottom