Can't build Apollo or Manhattan Projects. Do i have too many wonders already?

hung_h

Chieftain
I realized I couldn't build either of those two projects after I went tried to build some nukes. I have uranium and the technologies already researched.

I think it may have to do with having too many wonders in one city. I have 29 wonders in my capital. These include national wonders. Also, 3 wonders in another city.

Playing Arabia on Prince difficulty with Epic speed and continents.

The game still runs like normal. Next turn will work and every is fine. I just can't build them for some reason. I look at the production menu and I can see everything except the Apollo or Manhattan.

There is no such thing as 'too many wonders', so that can't be it,

Do you have 'science victory' turned on? This is needed for the Apollo program.

Don't know about the Manhattan, though. Maybe you need a free uranium? (not sure about that, though, as wonders don't need resources, afaik)

Are the wonders not availble, or are they greyed out?
Do you use mods, and what do they do?

Manhattan Project is a World Wonder enabling everyone to build nukes. Any chance someone else built it?

Manhattan Project is a World Wonder enabling everyone to build nukes. Any chance someone else built it?

This is incorrect. In Civ V the Manhattan Project is a national wonder that everyone has to build before they can build their own nukes.

I'm playing steam version of CIV 5. Its a regular game with none of those "advanced" settings.

Its not greyed out. I just dont' see it at all. I've seen my opponent France drop two nukes on Persia.

I also have 8 uranium free and none used. Maybe I would understand I need uranium but there is no apollo either.

No mods or anything.

Only one way for either or both to be unable to be built, a mod is interfering with it, you don't have science victory enabled, or your game is corrupted. Apollo is able to be built when you hit rocketry, and Manhatten can be built after you research Nuclear fission and doesn't need uranium as a prerequisite. It's that simple.

Yeah its probably corrupted.

I've beaten the game before with a space ship victory and everything worked fine.

okay here is the file. notice that persia just got nuked so it is possible to nuke. I stopped playing when i realized fission didn't let me build any nukes.

Attachments

• 0ldAutoSave_0610 AD-1980-January.Civ5Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 599
First thing I notice is that you don't have Science Victory turned on.
So that explains for Apollo.

Don't know about Manhattan, though. Or is Manhattan a world Wonder? I'm not sure, now.
If it's a world wonder, then it's already been built, as you can see by the nukes used.

Manhattan's implemented as a national wonder, afaik.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. But then I can't think of any reasons why it won't show up in his* game, where other civs obviously can build it.

I also checked to see if he'd already built it somewhere (by accident), but he hasn't.

* Find-replace all instances of the male gender with the female gender if appropiate ;)

Manhattan's implemented as a national wonder, afaik.

No, it's a Project. Projects can be set to ACT like World Wonders, National Wonders, or normal buildings, but the existing ones all act like National Wonders. But it's not actually a national wonder; it won't be limited by the national wonder cap if you turn that on, capturing the city you built it in won't make it go away (like it would a national wonder), and it won't be shown in any city's UI. It's not a minor difference; Projects have a completely different set of rules for a lot of things. (Also, unlike national wonders, other players are notified when you complete a Project.)

Assuming he has the tech in question, hasn't modified the game's core files in any way, hasn't got corrupted files, and hasn't already built it in some city, then it should be available. If it's not, then it's a bug. But the only way to know whether he has built it is to use FireTuner and the Teams:GetProjectCount() function, it's not going to show up anywhere else.

No, it's a Project. Projects can be set to ACT like World Wonders, National Wonders, or normal buildings, but the existing ones all act like National Wonders. But it's not actually a national wonder; it won't be limited by the national wonder cap if you turn that on, capturing the city you built it in won't make it go away (like it would a national wonder), and it won't be shown in any city's UI. It's not a minor difference; Projects have a completely different set of rules for a lot of things. (Also, unlike national wonders, other players are notified when you complete a Project.)

Assuming he has the tech in question, hasn't modified the game's core files in any way, hasn't got corrupted files, and hasn't already built it in some city, then it should be available. If it's not, then it's a bug. But the only way to know whether he has built it is to use FireTuner and the Teams:GetProjectCount() function, it's not going to show up anywhere else.
Ah, okay.

In any case, can't OP comb through the Notification Log to make sure he/she hasn't completed it already, then?

If I did already build the manhattan project, I would be able to build nukes too. As some other people already saw, I can't do that even though other Civs are able to.

I'm digging-up this old thread as I'm having a similar problem: I have completed Nuclear Theory and Atomic Fission, but I cannot select "Manhattan Project" in the "Choose Production" list for any of my cities.

I have no mods installed. I have 4 Uranium mined already. I have not disabled Science Victory.

Why can't I get started building this? I've attached a save file of mine. I would welcome your insights.

Attachments

• Oda Nobunaga_0292 AD-1844.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 299
you are actually building the Mahattan Project in your city of Rome (7 turns to completion), so of course you cannot start building it in another city.

you are actually building the Mahattan Project in your city of Rome (7 turns to completion), so of course you cannot start building it in another city.

Köszönöm! Thank you, nea*Nicu, I cannot believe I had forgotten that!

Pretty embarrassing for me to have made such a mistake. :hammer2:

Thanks again for taking the time to solve this "mystery" for me.

Top Bottom