1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't build wonders after razing a city containing them.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Jewser, May 1, 2019.

1. Jewser

Jewser Chieftain

Not sure if this is a bug or intentional.

I just razed a city containing a few wonders, and they're gone from the tile as they should be.

But these wonders don't appear on the list of buildable wonders, not even on the next turn.

I know it used to be the case that razing a city with wonders allowed you to build the wonders. Not sure if it's a bug or an intentional update from one of the latest patch/es, though I found nothing about it in the patch notes.

Any insights? am I missing something here?

2. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

It's intentional and it worked like this in all civ games, if I remember correctly.

3. criZp

criZp Emperor

Sounds reasonable to me.

Jkchart and Noble Zarkon like this.
  4. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

There might have been an earlier version of Civ that let you build a razed wonder, but I don't think it's ever been possible in Civ VI.

5. Jewser

Jewser Chieftain

Reasonable, and yet - it's a game. For me part of the fun is having some side-quests, like building as many wonders as possible, or inventing the computer as early as possible.

But I do get your point. If this isn't a bug, I'm hoping there's a way to turn this feature back on for whomever wants it. You can enjoy the game your way. I don't like it as-is, need a few mods to enjoy it.

And yes, I kinda suck. I'd be crushed easily if I played against another human player :p

https://steamcommunity.com/app/289070/discussions/0/312265256995609219/?l=english
    https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/68a4ts/if_you_raze_a_city_with_a_wonder_in_it_is_that/
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rebuild-wonders-why-not.630672/#post-15084049
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/razed-wonders-can-be-rebuilt.606664/

on the other hand...
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/289070/discussions/0/1700542332321234614/

So I really don't know what's going on.

Edit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/bggmqp/did_they_remove_the_ability_to_build_a_wonder/
    Seems it was patched out and indeed never meant to be that way. Sucks to be me I guess :p

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  6. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

I'm pretty sure I rebuild a razed wonder at some point in Civ 6. But that was a good while ago.

7. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

Sounds like this would be a good Mod request, if there isn't one out there already.

Although it might not be possible with the current modding tools yet.

8. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

Were they still in progress when being razed and you thought they could be rebuilt?

9. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I've seen Youtubers raze and build wonders before. But I think there's a limit on it if the wonder is too old. But I can't say what the exact cutoff is.

10. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

I am absolutely sure you could rebuild wonders in Civ6. Even very old ones, it could take like 3 turns to build it so late in the game. But this always looked like a big to me, so maybe it is fixed now.

11. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Yeah, I know for sure earlier on you could, but definitely wouldn't surprise me if it were patched out and either missed in a changelog or hidden somewhere.

12. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

13. Nefelia

Nefelia Prince

Congrats. You are now the proud owner of a pile of rubble that used to be a wonder. Maybe you can set up a few observation areas so tourists can properly enjoy the rubble. :D

Karmah and Socrates99 like this.
  14. Chefofrats

Chefofrats Prince

I had no idea wonders could ever be rebuilt, especially at a different location. The very concept of a world wonder is that it be a one-off thing, unique and irreplaceable. Not a single of the original wonders of the ancient world recognized by the Greeks was ever rebuilt. If it was indeed possible for a time in the game, I am glad it was patched.

Karmah and shaglio like this.
  15. Abaxial

Abaxial Prince

I've noticed this as well. But think about it. Some guy says, "I have this idea, why don't we rebuild the Hanging Gardens?" Would anyone be impressed?

Socrates99 likes this.
  16. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Nope. I can't imagine how any pre industrial wonder being rebuilt using modern methods. Would be impressive in the least bit

17. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

Well, a lot of Wonders have been rebuilt after substantial damage or disrepair. The Parthenon, Mahabodhi, Hagia Sophia, Church of the Nativity, and now Notre Dame have been rebuilt. The Great Wall, Oracle, Temple of Solomon, Kong Miao, Dai Miao, and Kashi Vishwanath have been destroyed/rebuilt several times.

18. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

In the same location on existing foundations. Very different from razing, say Paris, and rebuilding Notre Dame in New York.

A RL version of this is the London Bridge in Arizona. It draws some tourists here and there but otherwise no one really cares.

Banazir864 likes this.
  19. Eurritz

Eurritz Chieftain

I remember a game I played I could built the colosseum in modern era and got surprised no one ever built it. But that was before GS.
    And I wish there was a mod to rebuild razed wonders.

20. bbufa

bbufa Warlord

Due to the fact that city-state always raze conquered cities, some wonders may be gone forever. It would be a waste if key wonders like Forbidden Palace or Big Ben, is destroyed, no more free policy slot :(