Can't Declare Independence

Jeff10461

Chieftain
It's now been 2 games in a row, this last one I had 60 turns left to declare independence and the game would not let me. 2 of the 6 cities were at 100%, the other 3 were all over 60%. Despite this, the revolution screen only showed rebel sentiment at 41% with 10 turns left, at 4 turns it actually dropped to 40%.

Both games were played as:

Dutch
Styvesant
A_New_ World
Explorer (Note that these are the first 2 games played at this level, the lower level seemed to play ok but were too easy which was expected)

What a waste of my hard earned money, I've been a fan of the Civilization series of games and I'll certainly think twice before purchasing another after this crap.

The most likely reason for this it that you didn't have enough colonies to support the size of your military. In most games (such as Civilization) the support 'currency' is food or gold, but in Colonization that support takes the form of liberty bells. To support a larger total population you need to produce more liberty bells per turn, by filling your town halls with elder statesmen and accepting Founding Fathers who increase your liberty bell production. If necessary you may also need to build more colonies.

Global rebel sentiment (the value you need to get over 50% for independence) is quite different from colony rebel sentiment as it is calculated on total population rather than just those working in your colonies.

Top Bottom