Can't denouce before war.

I have tried to avoid the suprise war, but I can't seem to get any other options. I see no casus belli like in videos and no denouncement options anywhere.

I tried google and forum search, but I get other civ public denouncements, but not my own. Casus belli seems conditional, but none have shown the steps on getting casus belli to show up.

Early in the game, the only option is Surprise War. As you unlock additional civics, you will earn the ability to denounce other civilizations, 5 turns after which you can declare Formal Wars. This also works if the other Civ denounced you.

After the civic Diplomatic Service, you unlock four additional types of Casus Belli: Holy War, Liberation War, Reconquest War, and Protectorate War. Later you get Colonial War and Territorial War casus bellis as well. All of these are conditional e.g. you can't declare a Reconquest War on a Civ that hasn't conquered any of your cities.

The most likely reason you're not seeing the options is because you haven't reached the right civic level yet, or 5 turns hasn't passed after denouncement.

I'm way past the requirement. I'm almost year 2000 A.D. I think. Well past WWII era for sure. I have researched the future tech about a dozen times now.

Everyone denounces me every other turn it seems. I'm on a war rampage to end this game for the achievement only. Otherwise I would have abandoned this game long ago. Now I think it would have been quicker to abandoned and start over as slow as this game is.

Is there something I need to enable for casus belli or whatever it is called? I thought it was suppose to unlock early in game.

Also, all civs have denounced me and when I declared war on them, I had only an surprise attack option. Casus belli wasn't even a greyed out option in the civ's menu.

You need to wait 5 turns after the denunciation to get the CB option. It's kind of annoying of the UI to not really tell you that very clearly, but that's likely what's going on. So if you want the formal war or other CB choices, you need to make sure the denouncing is ahead of the attack (essentially giving them time to prepare, potentially).

I believe that when you have been denounced, it also counts as you denouncing them as far as the Casus Belli mechanic goes. I've found that when you get denounced, the option to denounce them is gone, but you can after the required 5 turns declare war with a CB as if you had denounced them yourself.

I cannot denounce them.

I did finally get the Casus Belli menu after they denounced me. I was able to declare because they were two techs behind.

Is there a time limit when they denounce me? As it was gone on some civs and not others.

But I never get the option to denounce them. Or it's a hidden thing?

I cannot denounce them.

I did finally get the Casus Belli menu after they denounced me. I was able to declare because they were two techs behind.

Is there a time limit when they denounce me? As it was gone on some civs and not others.

But I never get the option to denounce them. Or it's a hidden thing?
Afaik., when a civ denounces you, it counts as you denouncing them also and hence removes the option for the duration of the denouncement (50 turns? 30 turns? I think in Civ5 the number was 50, but I might remember wrong). After that time, the option will come back (until they denounce you again (which seems rather likely given the current state of diplomatic AI).

Denounciations kind of work both ways in Civ VI. I.E: if they've already denounced you then you can't denounce them in return; they're already considered to be denounced. So you can declare a formal war on someone else who denounced you 5+ turns ago in the same way you can after having done it yourself

The probmlem is that I still can't denounce them.

The only reason I goy casus belli to appear was because I finally got two techs ahead in game.

The probmlem is that I still can't denounce them.

The only reason I goy casus belli to appear was because I finally got two techs ahead in game.

If you have someone denouncing you every time it expires then yes, you won't be able to denounce them. It shouldn't matter though because the casus belli menu should be appearing 5 turns after they denounce you. If it's not, then that's a problem.

I was getting neither denouncing abilities or casus belli abilities for 1,000 turns though. Every time I declared war, the only option was surprise attack.

It wasn't until I got way ahead in tech that casus belli showed up.

Maybe I'll load up my old saves and see what happens.

Top Bottom