1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

can't finish install (cyclic redundancy check)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by cecirdr, Oct 29, 2005.

1. cecirdr

cecirdr Chieftain

At about 99% complete, the install fails. DirectX installs fine, so does disc 1 and disc 2 has been chugging along fine until....it just stops spinning. I get an error dialog box (after a really long wait) that says "Feature Transfer Error", "data error (cyclic redundancy check)" The point it stops at is installing:

c:\..\Assets\sounds\soundtrack\Renaissance\Mozart Romance.mp3

I just bought my game at the local walmart. Is there a way around this install error? Will walmart accept a return? I can't belive this...the install was almost done!

Sigh...

2. k5aphrael

k5aphrael Chieftain

Cyclic Redundancy Check errors mean that after the data is transferred, the software doing the transferring checks the integrity of the data to see if it matches what is expected, and complains if not. There's a summary overview of the technology at wikipedia.

In the case of CDs, it usually means:

(a) the CD data was corrupted during the burn;
    (b) the CD is in some way physically damaged;
    (c) the CD drive has some sort of problem which prevents it from accurately reading the CD.

In my case, when I had this error, I quickly eliminated (c) by trying in a different drive; it still failed.

If you poke around on the net a bit, doing google searches for "cyclic redundancy check data error", you can find a freeware tool which will perform an analysis of the disk and tell you if it thinks the data is damaged. In my case, it reported the same error that civ was reporting when installing. (I also tried copying the data3.cab file onto my hard drive, and got the *identical error message* --- data error, cyclic redundancy check).

I exchanged disks and it worked.

My guess is there's a bad burner at the manufacturing plant; there seem to be a lot of these complaints.

3. Ectomancer

Ectomancer Chieftain

Cecirdr, I had the same problem on my PC.(Cyclic redundancy check problem) I knew it wasnt the install CD, because I successfully installed it on my computer at work. My problem happened on my PC at home on my DVD/CD-RW drive. My solution was to map to the regular CD-ROM drive on my wife's PC. It installed without a hitch. Hope this helps.

4. cecirdr

cecirdr Chieftain

Thanks guys. Since I had no other discs with problems with that drive, I hoped it was a bad manufacturer disc. (it was easiest for me if this was the problem) So I swapped it out at the store. The game now completed loading. Whew! So it looks like it really was a bad disc.

Now...here's hoping that it plays ok. I have an ATI graphics card. Gulp....

5. gr8griggo

gr8griggo Chieftain

I had the same error message "Cyclic Redundancy Check" after 99.9 percent complete install. I returned the game and got a new copy, and all is fine. Thx for the help.