Can't get any mod civ to work.

FOFO13

Chieftain
Hi all. Fairly new to the forums and i have a problem. Not sure if this is the correct place for this but here goes. I have downloaded about every new civ on this site. I get them downloaded and installed. Then i go tothe advanced section to lod a mod and it shows up in the mod list there. i select it to load, and restart the game, i hold shift to clear cache, i dont hold the shift, and the civ never loads into the listing of civs to select. Is there something im doing wrong, or is civ 4 just the finicky and buggy. I love the civs available, and would love to get them playable on my machine. Oh, by the way, i did get the confederate states, civ army's 18 civ pack and the first peoples version 1.0 to work, but i uninstalled civ 4 and reinstalled and now even those mods dont work. does anyone out there have any suggestions, maybe i have a setting turned off, or need to change a setting somewhere? I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me. i dont have the game patched to 1.52. I am playing on my laptop, it is the machine i played wow, eq2 on so i know its is capable of playing civ4. Thanks in advance for any help given me.

Where do you install mods?
All mods should be placed in the CUSTOM mod directory.

If you look in the main game directory, there should be a shortcut which is called _Civ4CustomMods.

This is actually a link to the following path:

\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\MODS\

Try unzipping you mods there, then check the directory structure. It should be as follows:
starting from the above path, each mod should add its own main directory, which should contain an ini file and the Assets directory: sometimes the zip file creates the main mod directory, sometimes it doesn't.

Ok , ill check the path, if it's not pathed right how do you fix it? also, i have downloaded them the way you saidd, but others have told me to download them into the mod folder in the firaxis folder within the actual game file, in the mod folder there. still no luck i may delete all mods that have been downloaded and start over. i just dont know whats up....i am probably just doing something silly that is making them not work.....but i wish i could figure out what it is. you would think if 2 or 3 worked they all would. weird. and since my reinstall the three tht worked dont work. i should have left it alone and enjoyed those 3.

FOFO13 said:
Ok , ill check the path, if it's not pathed right how do you fix it?

Before you actually extract the zip file, check inside and make sure the full path is already included. If it is, just extract the archive as is in the Custom Mod, otherwise you have to crate the main directory your new mod and then extract the zip file there.

FOFO13 said:
also, i have downloaded them the way you saidd, but others have told me to download them into the mod folder in the firaxis folder within the actual game file, in the mod folder there.
This is a general rule for Civ4: NEVER write into the original Civ4 directories. The Custom Mod and Custom Assets directories are there for this purpose: you don't have to overwrite any of the original stuff.

Actually, Throttle, the reverse was true - and may still be unless 1.52 addressed this.

The Mods directory in the 'My Games' folder had serious issues with saved games. The Mods directory in the 'Program Files\Firaxis Games' folders was/is the one to use.

True, never overwrite exsiting directories. But using the Mods folder in the main directory shouldn't cause any problems at all. I know some people have gotten the 'My Games' directory to work. But certainly prior to 1.52, it was fraught with errors.

Jecrell's add a Civ tutorial specifically advises against using 'My Games', but that was prior to 1.52 so maybe that problem was corrected.

Anyone else using 'My Games' successfully for mods?

Wyz_sub10 said:
Actually, Throttle, the reverse was true - and may still be unless 1.52 addressed this.

The Mods directory in the 'My Games' folder had serious issues with saved games. The Mods directory in the 'Program Files\Firaxis Games' folders was/is the one to use.
Well that's the very first time I hear of an issue with the Custom Mod directory. Following the advices I've always read here in these forums, I use to place there all of my mods since ever (those I have downloaded as well as any new mod I create), and I've never experienced any problem at all. I've always used just the current 1.52 version though, so I can't tell how things were before, but I assume everyone is using the last version.

Top Bottom