Can't get cultural victory

manwiththehands

Chieftain
I am STILL working on my first cultural victory at warlord level. The rules say that a cultural victory is won if you have 3 cities with "legendary" (>50,000 culture points) culture. I HAVE THAT!!!! But I don't win. What's up with this? I am not playing on 'normal' speed, but marathon, if that makes any difference. Any input would be appreciated. :blush:

50,000 is based on running normal speed.

And you need more. On epic I think it is 75,000 for each city. Just look at the victory conditions in the game.

Although I haven't gotten one on Warlords, you would need a minimum of 9 cities on a standard size map and as many religions as possible. Then, build all of the religion special shrines in the three cities you want to to win with. Hermitage, wonders, several Great Artists, and the culture slider, and you should be set.

GOT IT :) It was ugly but it was my first cultural victory. Yes, you need 75,000 cultural points in 3 cities to win on marathon. I just cranked everything to cultural and kept hitting the space bar. I won in 2000 something. Dan Quayle. But I won a cultural victory. My very very first. :D :D :D

I loved the way I saved 'great engineers' until I started another wonder ... then sent that little geek over to that city then BOOM! :) I also saved artists to crank up the score on any of the three cities that started lagging behind.

And it was really, really, really cool 'absorbing' three of Cyrus's cities. That guy always chokes me. Got him back. :p

Good job - year?

Congrats.:) I've only done one cultural victory game, and I think it was at Warlord. (coulda' been Noble...)

you would need a minimum of 9 cities

You dont need 9 cities, or even 7. Im sure many people have done it with less...ive done it with 5 on Monarch, and there is that one player who has done it with 3.

The idea behind having 9 cities would be so you can build 9 temples and so 3 cathedrals. 6 works as well, so you can have 2 cathedrals per religion. 5 seems like a random number of cities to have... build one more and then for every religion you have thats an extra 50% culture per cathedral you build.

I understand the idea behind 9, and its very sound. I do it when I try to win a cultural game if I have the space. My point was you dont need 9. I didnt say it doesnt help.

Yeah, only thing you need is 3 cities to win cultural victory. And you NEED religion in them (dont need to found yourself though). More religions is obviously better.

You can then build 1 cathedral-building per religion you have (mabye Im assuming standard size maps, have never played with higher size). 5 religions gives you 2 cath's in each city (except one which will have hermitage), which should be enough for a comfortable win. Since you save some resources on expansion, you will have a better shot of getting wonders, which help somewhat in generating culture.

Having 4 cities is better, so the 4th city can be a dedicated GP farm to make those nice artists.
Having 5+ cities can be good, so that the 5'th+ cities can build military to defend your culturally encroaching borders. Also, if you have more cities it is easier to fight a defensive battle by yielding less-defended outer cities, while defending your cultural core.
Having 6 is better, as this will allow 2 cathedral-type buildings per religion.
Having 9 is better, as this will allow 3 c-t.b. per religion (and 3 is all you need because you only care about culture in the 3 cities).

Yeah, I know I'm stating the obvious. Can't hurt though.

Invented the wheel lately? ;) Just kidding, sometimes the obvious isn't obvious at all especially when you're going for a game strategy/victory condition you haven't tried before. So what you posted works perfectly in the context. :goodjob:

By the way, isn't it 75000 on Epic and 150000 on Marathon? Or am I remembering incorrectly. Lately I've played only on Normal speed, but I've had cultural victories on both Marathon and Epic. Very late cultural victories. Basically I didn't want to go space-racey and was bored with all the wars needed for domination, and my early wars haven't given me too many allies. Except once when I won a diplomatic victory a couple of turns before the cultural even though I haven't built the UN and haven't tried to influenced the AIs. They just liked me that much. Go figure. :confused:

Also congrats, manwiththehands, on your first cultural victory! :)

carl corey said:
Invented the wheel lately? ;) Just kidding, sometimes the obvious isn't obvious at all especially when you're going for a game strategy/victory condition you haven't tried before. So what you posted works perfectly in the context. :goodjob:

By the way, isn't it 75000 on Epic and 150000 on Marathon? Or am I remembering incorrectly. Lately I've played only on Normal speed, but I've had cultural victories on both Marathon and Epic. Very late cultural victories. Basically I didn't want to go space-racey and was bored with all the wars needed for domination, and my early wars haven't given me too many allies. Except once when I won a diplomatic victory a couple of turns before the cultural even though I haven't built the UN and haven't tried to influenced the AIs. They just liked me that much. Go figure. :confused:

Also congrats, manwiththehands, on your first cultural victory! :)

Yes, you are correct. 75000 on an epic game. I was mistaken. I was playing an epic game, not a marathon.

And I had so much fun winning this type of victory I started another one this morning ... and got my butt jumped on by HC because I let my military slip. It was only a matter of time since everyone was "cautious" and my power level was in the toilet. Everyone was making demands for 'tribute'.

"Leave me alone!!! I'm busy building wonders, OK!!!" :lol:

A hint: when you're going for a cultural victory you won't need to wage that many wars, especially late ones, so keeping the AIs happy is your priority. If you get to Military Tradition and form some Defensive Pacts you'll be safe(r) for the rest of the game. So, unless it's an aggressive civ next to you that asks for a military tech (in which case better prepare for war...) you're better off accepting their demands for tribute.

Yeah, I shouldn't have said minimum...

That's just what I would do if I was going for a cultural victory...I did it once like that in vanilla Civ4, but haven't had the time to do that in Warlords yet (been busy with scenarios and domination/conquest).

You definitely don't need 9 cities. I just won a cultural victory on Noble in which I had six cities, and only one religion - I teched up to Mass Media and got my culture from entertainment products + cottages :) Having a single state religion was actually really handy, as it let me keep a number of AIs Friendly for the whole game so that I never had to worry about war.

Screenshot: http://banana.ucc.asn.au/culture.png

edit: I didn't farm artists either, I had a military city to keep my Power up, a bonus-science city barbarians built in a nice grassland spot, and a completely random city they built out on the tundra.

Top Bottom