Can't get Mods to work

I have a problem when I download a mod any mod I am getting a CTD. I have noticed that when I got to download a mod I have two bts folder too down load into . one by itself and one in the civ 4 vanilla folder at the bottom of tha list. I have been putting the mod s in that folder should I be putting it in the BTS folder that is by itself . Oh i do have the 3.13 patch . I really want to play some of the mods . Any help will be appreciated

Seeing as your an old aquintence from Civ3's 'Balancer Reloaded', the best version of Civ know to man,:) For you I will try to help you my best.

you need to extract it to this folder:
C:\Firaxisgames\Civilization 4\Beyond The Sword\Mods (mine is C: not sure what yous is but all else is the same)

It should look like this c:\Firaxis......\mods\Rhyes of Civ.. \ OK now open BTS and In start menu click "Advanced" and then "Load Mod"

You should be able to choose Rhyes of civ from there

ONe youve done all that quickly uninstall Civ4 and load up some Balancer Reloaded
;)

Dude thats how I Unload the zip/ rar file. but the three mods that I want to play Marzmod , history inthe making and rise of mankind all crash . Oh i also tried to load Graves texas mod and I get CTD well I guess only other thinbg to do is ununinstall and doa clean install and do the latest patch AGAIN and see if that works

Dude thats how I Unload the zip/ rar file. but the three mods that I want to play Marzmod , history inthe making and rise of mankind all crash . Oh i also tried to load Graves texas mod and I get CTD well I guess only other thinbg to do is ununinstall and doa clean install and do the latest patch AGAIN and see if that works

Mods that where not updated for 3.13 and that contain an altered .dll or some specific xml mods will crash on 3.13 no matter what you do. You might want to make sure that they where updated for 3.13.

also the two mods directories are:

...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS
and
...\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond The Sword\Mods
(as posted by T.A. Jones)
if you put anything into the first one of those - it will crash, this directory should not even be there it serves no purpose other than to crash people's game :gripe:

Edit: a simple test whether it is a specific mod or your install:
create the following directory:
...\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond The Sword\Mods\TestMod
and leave it empty. Now start the game and load the mod called "TestMod" if it crashes it is your install, if it loads and shows "TestMod" in the upper righthand corner of the start menu its probably caused by the mods you try to load...

Mods that where not updated for 3.13 and that contain an altered .dll or some specific xml mods will crash on 3.13 no matter what you do. You might want to make sure that they where updated for 3.13.

also the two mods directories are:

...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS
and
...\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond The Sword\Mods
(as posted by T.A. Jones)
if you put anything into the first one of those - it will crash, this directory should not even be there it serves no purpose other than to crash people's game :gripe:

Edit: a simple test whether it is a specific mod or your install:
create the following directory:
...\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond The Sword\Mods\TestMod
and leave it empty. Now start the game and load the mod called "TestMod" if it crashes it is your install, if it loads and shows "TestMod" in the upper righthand corner of the start menu its probably caused by the mods you try to load...

For the first one I've only seen a crash with a modified theme. I've otherwise never had any problems with it.

For the first one I've only seen a crash with a modified theme. I've otherwise never had any problems with it.

ok I *did* exaggerate - many mods that are being put in there will simply not work or work only partly though, it is not a stable mod directory especially for larger mods. Though I have had about a dozen mods crash in that directory that did not in the "right" one...

ok I *did* exaggerate - many mods that are being put in there will simply not work or work only partly though, it is not a stable mod directory especially for larger mods. Though I have had about a dozen mods crash in that directory that did not in the "right" one...

For mods that don't use a customized DLL it's perfectly ok. For those which bring their own DLL, it doesn't work.

The reason is that 3.13 changed it so that DLLs in the my documents folder are ignored.

For mods that don't use a customized DLL it's perfectly ok. For those which bring their own DLL, it doesn't work.

The reason is that 3.13 changed it so that DLLs in the my documents folder are ignored.
:hmm: the problems with this folder date back to Vanilla though - but I won't go into it - the other one definitely is the better choice...

so what is the fix. I am not that computer literate to start messing with the game program

so what is the fix. I am not that computer literate to start messing with the game program
are you sure that the mods you want to run have been updated for 3.13?
if not, ask whether this is planned in the mod specific thread.

Hi,

I've got the same problem here. I've tried two mods so far and they both cause the game to crash (just before the game is supposed to start)... And yes, I do have the 3.13 patch and both of those mods were supposed to be compatible with that. Any ideas anyone? Would really like to use those mods.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I have a newbie mod question. How do you get more than one mod to load? I'm trying to create a vanilla North America scenario adding the Confederacy mod, Texas mod to the ingame North American civs [Union, Sioux, Aztec, etc]. Thanks!

Top Bottom