1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't get my great merchant to enter city?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Leathaface, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

Just started playing Civ V recently, and I want to to do a trade mission with a great merchant.

I have signed open borders with a nation (Montezuma) but I can't enter Tentochitlian (sp?) itself and conduct the trade mission. How do I do this?

2. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Is there a civilian already inside the city?

3. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

Not 1 of mine.

4. Alziel

Alziel Warlord

You can't conduct trade missions with other civs. You have to send your Great Merchant to a City State - you can only conduct trade missions with those (as the missions will give you influence with City States).

Also, you don't need to enter any cities with the Merchant (and in fact, you can't). You only need to be within the City State's borders to conduct the mission. The trade mission button is at the top of the Great Merchant's action buttons and will light up white when you are able to conduct it. Just press that button when ready and 'voila!' - you now have a large influence boost and a large one-off payment of gold added to your treasury.

Hope this helps!

5. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

I can't sign open borders with city states though.

6. DGDobrev

DGDobrev Warlord

You don't need it. Just enter the CS territory and burn the GM there on the same turn before you get any penalty for trespassing :)