1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't get Start Bias to work.

Discussion in 'Mod Creation Help' started by Kyro, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Kyro

Kyro Chieftain

I've probably tested a 100 starts so far and it would appear that features assigned to Start Bias in the Civilizations XML don't seem to work most of the time; no matter how low the value I put. The annoying thing is that suitable locations for that edited bias actually exist in the map but the game engine just refuses to place the Civ there when it has all the criteria met. Instead it prefers to start the Civ with none of the Bias stated.

Is it because the game cannot handle more than one bias at a time like in Civ 5; such that one bias overrides the other? Or Is the game hard-coded to prevent manipulation of start biases?

I am referring to Starting Terrain, Terrain Features and Resources as seen from the XML quoted below.

<!-- Start Bias Lower is First -->
    <StartBiasResources>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_SCYTHIA" ResourceType="RESOURCE_HORSES" Tier="2"/>
    </StartBiasResources>
    <StartBiasFeatures>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_BRAZIL" FeatureType="FEATURE_JUNGLE" Tier="2"/>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_EGYPT" FeatureType="FEATURE_FLOODPLAINS" Tier="2"/>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_KONGO" FeatureType="FEATURE_JUNGLE" Tier="2"/>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_KONGO" FeatureType="FEATURE_FOREST" Tier="2"/>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_NORWAY" FeatureType="FEATURE_FOREST" Tier="5"/>
    </StartBiasFeatures>
    <StartBiasTerrains>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND" TerrainType="TERRAIN_COAST" Tier="3"/>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_GREECE" TerrainType="TERRAIN_DESERT_HILLS" Tier="3"/>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_GREECE" TerrainType="TERRAIN_GRASS_HILLS" Tier="3"/>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_GREECE" TerrainType="TERRAIN_PLAINS_HILLS" Tier="3"/>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_GREECE" TerrainType="TERRAIN_TUNDRA_HILLS" Tier="3"/>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_NORWAY" TerrainType="TERRAIN_COAST" Tier="3"/>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_RUSSIA" TerrainType="TERRAIN_TUNDRA" Tier="3"/>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_RUSSIA" TerrainType="TERRAIN_TUNDRA_HILLS" Tier="3"/>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_SCYTHIA" TerrainType="TERRAIN_GRASS" Tier="5"/>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_SCYTHIA" TerrainType="TERRAIN_PLAINS" Tier="5"/>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_SPAIN" TerrainType="TERRAIN_COAST" Tier="3"/>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_LISBON" TerrainType="TERRAIN_COAST" Tier="1"/>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_NAN_MADOL" TerrainType="TERRAIN_COAST" Tier="1"/>
    </StartBiasTerrains>
    <StartBiasRivers>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_EGYPT" Tier="5"/>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_FRANCE" Tier="3"/>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_SUMERIA" Tier="3"/>
    </StartBiasRivers>

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Infixo

Infixo Chieftain

3. Kyro

Kyro Chieftain

I dun see "parameter" anywhere which XML/LUA script are you referring to?

4. Infixo

Infixo Chieftain

I'm talking about Tier. Each row you insert has a Tier, from 1 to 5. Do you know what it means?

5. CivilizationAce

CivilizationAce Chieftain

Lower tier numbers get first dibs.

6. CivilizationAce

I've not seen Tier set to 1 for any base civs, so I'm dubious over whether anything lower than 2 works. Strikes me they should have numbered these in 10's to give us room to get in-between.

7. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

8. CivilizationAce

Didn't notice that. Thanks for correcting me.

9. Kyro

Kyro Chieftain

I quote myself "features assigned to Start Bias in the Civilizations XML don't seem to work most of the time; no matter how low the value I put." So yes I understand what the Tiers mean, it is stated in the XML by whoever programmed the thing. And no I haven't been assuming that higher numbers means better; if that was what you were assuming I did.

@CivilizationAce
    The start bias doesn't seem to work with resources for some reason. It will often have the combined effect of neither. Eg. Edit to start near X Resource and Plain Hills at Tier 1. End up starting in Grassland with none of X Resource in sight. Worst part is when you discover the AI has that exact start that you wanted when it has no priority whatsoever. It's almost like something is hard-coded to hinder edited starts from happening. I'm pretty sure Gypsum/Ivory/Spices/Furs/Gems can start on Plains and Plain Hills so that's not the issue. I've also tried them one by one to ensure it's not caused by an overlap of different resources.

Looking at Australia's start bias though I doubt that multiple resources bias can affect each other in any way.

10. CivilizationAce

I must admit my experience with start bias is in line with yours, and I was going for Woods, so I suspect that it's messed up for features too :(