1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't give units orders while in cities?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Slagar10, May 7, 2014.

1. Slagar10

Slagar10 Chieftain

I'm trying to merge Varietas Delectat with the Shinto Mod and the Orion's Inquisition mod.

Unfortunately I seem to have broke something and I have no idea what the issue could be.

When my units are in a city, any city, they can't be given any orders other than movement orders. Well actually they can but it has to be done via keyboard shortcuts rather than clicking the buttons. It's a minor issue really but I feel it may be a sign of a larger problem.

Any idea where the issue could lie? Like I said I have no clue here so even just a general pointer to get me headed in the right direction would be appreciated.

Sorry if this is the wrong section or if I should have posted this in one of the three mods topics but this seemed the most appropriate location.

2. isenchine

isenchine Empress

Do you have any action button at all for your units?

In which language do you play?

3. Slagar10

Slagar10 Chieftain

I have buttons but I can't click on them. Or rather when I do nothing happens. The ones that glowed (like Fortify) no longer do. Everything is normal once they're out of the city though; even the fortify button goes back to glowing.

English.

4. isenchine

isenchine Empress

OK, it's not what I thought.

It looks like a python problem. Do you have python exceptions turned on? It could be useful.

5. Slagar10

Slagar10 Chieftain

Sorry; this is my first time modding so I'm not sure what you mean. I tried doing searching on Google and using ctrl+f to find "exception" in my python codes via Notepad but didn't find anything labeled exceptions so I don't know.

6. mourndraken

mourndraken King

it's an entry on your mod's .ini file

7. Slagar10

Slagar10 Chieftain

Alright I checked the ini of the mod and there was no mention of python exceptions. I checked my vanilla Civ4 ini and it had hidepythonexceptions set to 1.

8. isenchine

isenchine Empress

Yes, you found it. It's more a generic ini than just vanilla but set it to 0 so you don't hide the python exceptions, in other words, the python errors will pop up each time they arise, it is useful for debugging the problem. Note them or at least the last one (take a screenshot if needed).

I'm not very familiar with Varietas Delectat but I suppose there was no custom dll involved. Same for the Shinto Mod. When you are talking about Orion's Inquisition mod, do you mean his big mod Orion Grand Inquisition (OGI) or just his old inquisition component? OGI has a custom dll but I assume you could just take it as it is.

Do you have BUG installed? OGI has it incorporated. The other problems could come from WOC and the various modules involved.

To speed up the process, please double check that you have merged the python part correctly and that you are not missing a file, especially with Orion's part (I'm thinking of the python/screens/CvMainInterface.py file mainly but also the python/EntryPoints CvScreensInterface.py file).

9. Slagar10

Slagar10 Chieftain

I'm using the component. The component also had a dll but I just copied it over and it seems to work fine. It seems the component had some parts of Better BTS AI but I just ignored those. I do not have BUG installed and saw no mention of it in the Inquisition files. I have copied over all of the proper files.

After turning python exceptions to 0 I managed to locate the issue. I had missed a line that initiative the variables (I believe; I'm unfamiliar with this code) so I copied it over and received no more errors. I can now give units orders while they're in the cities. I suspect the AI isn't using the inquisition units like they're supposed to but that's pretty minor and should be something I can fix on my own if need. If I have anymore issues I'll report back here.

Thanks a lot for all the help!

10. isenchine

isenchine Empress

Great! Glad you found the way out to your problem! :goodjob: