Can't hit enemy in neutral civs borders

yogiebere

Civilization City Planner
Was at war with Austria and she had a Hussar in Songhais territory. She was hitting my guy right across the border but I couldn't attack her (prompted a do you want to declare war on Songhai). Shouldn't I be able to destroy her unit without crossing into Songhai? (Like when your city garrison kills a unit)

Another way to think of this is that the combat takes place "inside" the defending unit's tile, so in effect, your unit is moving into Songhai's territory, even if it loses or the combat turn ends with a stalemate. I don't think there are any plans to change this behavior.

Was at war with Austria and she had a Hussar in Songhais territory. She was hitting my guy right across the border but I couldn't attack her (prompted a do you want to declare war on Songhai). Shouldn't I be able to destroy her unit without crossing into Songhai? (Like when your city garrison kills a unit)

Not moving after attack is only a feature from cities, citadels, and forts.

Your ranged units can still hit those targets without Open Borders but your melee cannot. It's similar to how your ranged units can hit Inca in the mountains but not your melee (unless there's a road through it).

• be Ottoman Sultan
  • pale white dudes with yellow crosses ask for refuge after fighting snow-romans
  • you allow because you are kind and hate snow-romans
  • your refugee do skirmishes with snow-romans for a while on your border
  • snow-roman had enough
  • demand you hand your refugee to them.
  • you say no
  • this is an act of aggression
  • snow-roman refuse to stand down
  • force your hand into war
  • win very big
  • get some land
  • also demands to let yellow cross dudes go back home safely
  • yellow cross dudes don't want to go back home