1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Civ2] Can't install Civ 2 Expansions, computer thinks they're audio CDs

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by Endless Rain, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Endless Rain

Endless Rain Chieftain

I've been trying to install Civ 2 Conflicts in Civilization and Fantastic Worlds, but I can't even get them to install. My computer, for some bizarre reason, thinks they are audio CDs. I can't manually copy the scenarios to the Civ II directory, since I need to run the installer to access the scenario files. (I mainly just care about the scenarios in the expansions, so I don't care if I can't install CiC and FW as long as I can get the scenarios running.) I already have Civ 2 running on my PC via the patches here; I just can't install the expansions.

2. darbyjack

darbyjack Chieftain

Because the installer files are 16-bit files and is impossible to be opened by a modern computer, unless you are running a 32-bit version of Windows.

I had the same problem and had to install a virtual machine, then mount the files to a virtual disk in order to install the scenarios and get the files. It's a pain in the ass, but was the only way I could do it.

3. Endless Rain

Endless Rain Chieftain

I used my old Windows XP laptop to install the games, and then copied the files over to my main PC. It worked.