1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't install into a Steam BtS installation

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by zulu9812, Sep 14, 2011.

1. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

When I try to extract the 7z file to my Steam install, I get the following errors:

Code:
    !   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos.7z: Cannot open Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\DancingHoskuld\Custom_Units\Fortifications\Art\City_Guard\Animation Directions for the Holy Roman Renaissance Age.txt
    !   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos.7z: Cannot open Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\DancingHoskuld\Custom_Wonders\National_Library_Service\Art\Structures\Buildings\Alexandria\Library_of_Alexandria_Gloss.dds
    !   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos.7z: Cannot open Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\DancingHoskuld\Custom_Religions\Standard_RoM_Religions\Art\Buildings\Hellenism\Skin bases\tx_daed_azura_flowerpetal.dds
    !   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos.7z: Cannot open Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\DancingHoskuld\Custom_Religions\Standard_RoM_Religions\Art\Buildings\Hellenism\Skin bases\tx_daed_azura_headthing.dds
    !   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos.7z: Cannot open Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\DancingHoskuld\Custom_Units\Female_Missionaries\Art\Missionary\Female_Buddhist\buddhist_missionary_md_fortify_idle.kf
    !   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos.7z: Cannot open Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\DancingHoskuld\Custom_Units\Female_Missionaries\Art\Missionary\Female_Buddhist\buddhist_missionary_md_idle_die_fade.kf
    !   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos.7z: Cannot open Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\DancingHoskuld\Custom_Units\Female_Missionaries\Art\Missionary\Female_Christian\christianmissionary_md_fortifya_idle.kf
    !   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos.7z: Cannot open Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\DancingHoskuld\Custom_Units\Female_Missionaries\Art\Missionary\Female_Christian\christianmissionary_md_idle_diefade.kf
    !   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos.7z: Cannot open Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\DancingHoskuld\Custom_Units\Female_Missionaries\Art\Missionary\Female_Confucian\confucian_missionary_md_fortifya_idle.kf
    !   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos.7z: Cannot open Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\DancingHoskuld\Custom_Units\Female_Missionaries\Art\Missionary\Female_Confucian\confucian_missionary_md_idle_diefade.kf
    !   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos.7z: Cannot open Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\DancingHoskuld\Custom_Units\MegaFauna\Giraffe_Archer\Art\Units\Giraffe_Archer\Zulu Giraffe Archer\zulugiraffearcher.nif
    !   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos.7z: Error - operation failed
    Thought you should know. I think this might be a path character limit issue. Have tried re-downloading the archive.

2. AIAndy

AIAndy Chieftain

Try unzipping to a different shorter folder (not in program files) and moving the files afterwards.
    Unlike 7zip moving the files with the explorer asks you for admin privileges if it needs them.

3. zulu9812

4. Nevets_

Nevets_ Chieftain

Were you able to unzip the files and this is the error you got when trying to copy them?

I've found articles that say Windows Explorer has a 255 character limit for file/path names, but there is a way to get around it. This article suggests creating a 'virtual' drive that is really just you destination folder (or close to it, anyway) and it doesn't require you to download anything:

http://www.searchmarked.com/windows...0-character-limit-on-windows-file-copying.php

So in your case you'd open up a command prompt, and type:

subst x: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods"

That will create an 'x' drive that actually just points straight to your BTS mods folder. Unzip C2C like you tried originally (only making sure you unzip it through the X: drive), then cleanup the now superfluous drive with:

subst x: /d

5. zulu9812

Yes

This doesn't seem to do anything, i.e. no drive x appears in "My Computer" and when I try to unzip to x:\ I'm told that no such path exists.

6. Nevets_

Nevets_ Chieftain

You looked for the X: drive after you did this:

subst x: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods"

and before you did this:

subst x: /d

and you didn't find anything? Did you get any error messages? Are you logged into Windows as an administrator?

7. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

The "real" problem is do I keep these as mods or do I merge them into the core C2C? Most of these are graphics. If I could figure out how to make an FPK and get it to work I could get rid of these offending files. OOOh a light bulb just went off.... I may have figured out how I can use FPK....

8. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

It worked! The problem was embarisingly simple. Now to do the lot. Wonder if I have time before the next release?