Can't keep up with DLC, annoyed by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamed

Warlord
They keep releasing so many DLCs for ridiculous prices for Civ 5 that we can't even use in multiplayer.

Why don't they just release an expansion?

They keep releasing so many DLCs for ridiculous prices for Civ 5 that we can't even use in multiplayer.
We can use them in multiplayer.
At least, I can :p (It's a shame multiplayer is so broken, though, but that's offtopic).
Why don't they just release an expansion?
It's just like an expansion pack, but spread out over several micro-releases.
Instead of waiting two years and paying a lump sum, now you only have to wait two months to get a micro-expansion for a small price.

It's a different business-model, one with (I think) less risk for the company.

The last patch made sure DLC's would work in multiplayer.

anandus mentiones the risk for the company; for the customer it has the benefit of choosing (and paying) only for what you want.

On the other hand, DLC is not useful to introduce new game mechanics or concepts. So maybe after 2/3 years, ther will be an expansion if the current concepts will be somewhat boring and new concepts are designed.

That is the second time ive read DLC works in multiplayer but ive just tried to make a game with a friend earlier and since he didnt have Babylon i couldnt be Babylon.

At the moment, you both need the same DLC. But it does work in multiplayer if that's the case. This isn't an issue of DLC not working in MP, it's an issue of DLC not being visible to those who don't have DLC.

Thanks for the reply, and i see what you're saying. With that said, im my opinion DLC does not work in multiplayer until i can use what i paid for regardless of whether someone else has it or not. Though i wont hijack this guys thread ranting about it. :D

I just think the terminology used is wrong. DLC is inconvenient in multiplayer or DLC is unduly restrictive in multiplayer is better. When the game came out, it was literally unusable in multiplayer. That's why I felt it was worth point out that this is no longer the case.

They did say they were working on a way to have DLC visible by others in multiplayer even if they didn't have DLC. I'm not sure if there were some unanticipated problems with that, if they abandoned the idea, or if they're still working on it. No matter what, that would be a nice addition.

it might also make more people want to buy the dlc if they see it in action first.
as for prices, well, people keep buying them.

I'm the kind of person who is crazy anti dlc ... but i love civ and i admit i couldnt hold out any longer when they went on sale before. I bought them all including the maps ive never used. Oh late night steam sales and alcohol make you do stupid things >.<

I have bought my last Firaxis game.

This constant releasing of 'for pay' DLC when the core game is broken does not sit well with me.

I have bought my last Firaxis game.

This constant releasing of 'for pay' DLC when the core game is broken does not sit well with me.

Its not like Firaxis has much of a choice, 2K is probably in charge of telling them to keep making DLC and then 2K sets the price. Welcome to the Age of DLC because people keep buying it and it makes them (mostly the publisher) a lot of money. I don't like it either.

I find it funny that people call DLC way too expensive.

People pay $15 a month to play WoW. DLC really isn't that expensive. Skip a couple latte's and you've covered it. Shoot, if you don't pay for the DLC and play Civ more, you might find yourself driving places. The gas money you spend probably more than offsets it.

That proves it, I'm getting every DLC in order to cut my gas prices. Best budgeting idea ever!

To me, I look at spending money on entertainment with a cost/hour ratio. a $10 movie that lasts two hours gives me $5/hr worth of entertainment. A DLC that costs $2-7 can seriously provide me with mere cents/hour worth of entertainment.

I find it funny that people call DLC way too expensive.

People pay $15 a month to play WoW. DLC really isn't that expensive. Skip a couple latte's and you've covered it. Shoot, if you don't pay for the DLC and play Civ more, you might find yourself driving places. The gas money you spend probably more than offsets it.

That proves it, I'm getting every DLC in order to cut my gas prices. Best budgeting idea ever!

Starbucks is overpriced also.

Plus, I like to use the bus or walk when I can.

Also, I'd never pay to play WoW.

Isn't the new civ $3 this time? Or is it $5 again?

Either way, the assertion that it's ridiculously overpriced is just... weird, to me. Maybe it's because I have a decent (but by no means high-paying) job, but I really can't imagine $5 making the difference in somebody who can afford a relatively modern computer, a monthly internet charge and $50 for the base game's life.

The obvious solution here is, of course, don't buy it. Nobody is making you pay them for it. Personally, I'm very happy that they continue to release interesting DLC. I buy the stuff that appeals to me and skip the stuff that doesn't. The fact that it seems to be supporting much more robust post-launch patching support than usual is just icing on the cake.

And also, the core game isn't broken.

Also, the core game being broken is a proven fact. I could highlight once again why this is the case, but I'm really tired of fighting people who defend civ V (or even IV) in zealous ignorance while ignoring flaws.

Controls, user interface, calculation efficiency, time between turns, etc are all core gameplay. Multiplayer is core gameplay. Functional net code is core gameplay. Running all aspects of the advertised game on *recommended* (or higher) specs is...you guessed it...core gameplay.

The quote is an example of a spam post with knowingly false information.

On topic: DLC policy is ruining whatever chance there might be for competitive MP to catch on. MP suffers enough from expansion breaks; not even being able to play against large chunks of potential competition is pretty questionable.

The fact that we get DLC spam while core gameplay is not 100% functional tells us a lot about firaxis/2k. You want a good civ VI, it's not being made by THEM.

Moderator Action: While your post does make valid points which we encourage, you could have left out the spam post comment.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom