1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't load custom mod in Steam version of BTS

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by cfkane, Oct 21, 2016.

1. cfkane

cfkane Emperor

I just attempted to make a quick custom mod. Nothing fancy, just a custom tech quote and Civilopedia entry.

I dropped it in the Beyond the Swords Mod folder and started the game up. The mod appeared, loaded, and played. But the custom quotes didn't load with it.

It looks like the XML never loaded with the game, so it returned to the default.

Is this a common problem for Steam users and is there any way around it?

2. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

They released a patch to fix the issues regarding gamespy shutting down. Sadly that patch causes a number of issues, one of them worse mod support. Another is no direct connect in multiplayer. People complained and now it should be possible to use steam to select experimental versions to get the previous patched version.

While this should fix most problems, it should be noted that it seems to be impossible to use the debugger on the steam version as steam detects this as a cheat engine and crashes the game. There is no such protection in the disc version and to my knowledge no way to get the steam version to accept the debugger. To my knowledge, this is the only unfixable problem with the steam version.