Can't login to multiplayer

caesarbear

Chieftain
I can't login to multiply. I get no error message. I have no firewall. I have a gamespy id that I use for other games. It just sits at the login screen and gives me no indication of an error. WTF?

patch 1.61 win2k

I too am having the same issue, but it is working fine for my husband, wonder what is up with that?

Yeah i know same here. When i try to login it just freezes up im trying to find a way to fix it right now though.

Yes god DAM i'm having same problem how ironic that a patch goes an f**** everything up!

I'm discovereing that if I've created a pitboss game, I can't log into multiplayer to take part in it. I get the same thing you're getting - you click "Login" and it just sits there, not doing anything. I'm looking through the forums right now to see if there's a known solution. This might not be what you're experiencing, though.

Me and my wife just downloaded the patch on our respective computers (both xp) and she was able to log into the LAN games and the multiplayer when my computer totally froze. I uninstalled CIV4, reinstalled it and tried it without the patch and it still totally froze. I restarted, installed the patch, and then it still froze at LAN screen and when logging in to Gamespy. What gives?? My computer is a Dell just a few months old and my wife's is actually several years old but with windows XP. She is not having any problems at all. Please let me know if anyone figures out how to fix this!

SAME PROBLEM,

Yeah, I too was logging in fine untill I ran the patched version. Works fine in 1 player mode. GAMESPY login screen doesnt process, or maby it does but it won't log me in. Anyone get anywhere with this? if anyone knows whats up post a reply, I was just getting interested in getting on the multiplayer games.

I haven't gotten anywhere. The icon you use to click things in the beginning turns into a never ending spinning circle, once I select LAN or once I hit login if I'm trying internet play.

It is so bad I have to power off my computer - CTRL +ALT + DEL doesn't even save me.

I think I solved my problem. This most recent time I started the game, and I don't know what I changed, I got a pop up window from McAfee asking me if I want to grant the application access to the internet. I said yes, and it looks like it's going to work (I haven't started a game yet .... I wanted to tell you guys).

Again, I don't know why McAfee asked me this time to grant access, but not the previous times, but this time it did.

Sounds like there might be multiple problems in this thread. The problem I am experiencing is not related to a firewall like drsparnum's. The system that has this problem does not have a firewall installed. Also the problem I am having does not "crash" or "hang" cIV, there is simply no response at all when I try to login in with my proper gamespy id. Other games that use gamespy do not have this problem.

I'm having the same problems. I just got civ4 a week ago and decided to try online gaming. First I tried to register on gamespy using the civ4 access screen, but nothing happened.

Then I registered by exiting the game and doing it on their webpage. Reloaded Civ4 and tried to connect. However... when I click connect nothing happens. Absolutely nothing.

Windows firewall has been instructed to grant access and the McAfee one is turned off to not interfere.

One time the comp locked so bad that I needed to reboot as I couldn't ctrl-alt-del my way out. All the other times nothing happens. It's just... dead.

i had the same problem, i run zone alarm as a firewall.

When the patch was installed it didnt work.

Eventually i figured out that Zone Alarm didnt recognise the new .exe so i had to re-do the permissions for that. Try re-setting your firewall exceptions for civ4.

I'm having the same problem. When I click the login button, the screen freezes for half a second, and then nothing happens. The game doesn't crash or freeze, it just acts like I never clicked the button.

I've already tried resetting my firewall exceptions and opening my router ports. Nothing makes any difference.

I have the same problem too. When I try to log in to multiplayer games, the game just freezes for 20 seconds. And now i can't play :(

The login has always worked until now..... It has worked with the new patch too a couple of times, but now it doesn't.

"I have the same problem too. When I try to log in to multiplayer games, the game just freezes for 20 seconds. And now i can't play

The login has always worked until now..... It has worked with the new patch too a couple of times, but now it doesn't."

OMG exactly whats happeningto me. It worked several times after the patch was out haven't changed anythnig now it don't work for some reason just freezes for about 20 seconds and that's it.

I've tried windowed mode and verified that no popups appear.

Are any of the rest of you behind a router? I want to make sure this isn't a hardware problem.

Cheesemonkey said:
i had the same problem, i run zone alarm as a firewall.

When the patch was installed it didnt work.

Eventually i figured out that Zone Alarm didnt recognise the new .exe so i had to re-do the permissions for that. Try re-setting your firewall exceptions for civ4.

Hi: Unfortunately, I have the same problem. I was using the game with the v152 patch but just downloaded the v161 patch last night and now I can't play multi-player via gamespy. I am using the zonealarm firewall. How do I "reset firewall exceptions" so that the game will work?

Regards,
Steve

Top Bottom