1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't play at all

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Rezca, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

For lack of a better title, since technically I was able to play for a while... Until today anyway.

I recently re-downloaded C2C onto my laptop after I freed up some space for it, using the latest SVN (As of last night) and started a game. For the first 210 or so turns, everything was going alright. A dozen or two turns later I hit end turn and the game just sort of locked up. Music kept playing and I could move the cursor, but nothing else was responsive at all. I gave it a few minutes in case it was just lagging up, but then force-quit out of the game.

I opened C2C back up and decided to create a new custom game, the first one being a Play Now! game I never intended to finish anyway (I always start a quick PlayNow game when loading up a new mod)
    After the map generated (Large, PerfectWorld...) I took my starting 'scout' unit and moved it, then selected my 'settler' to build a city. The very moment I clicked that, the game locked up again. Music playing, cursor can move, nothing else responds at all.

In the odd event it might have been lag, I allowed it to sit there for a while... And came back sixteen minutes later to see the Band of Homo Sapiens still halfway through its settling down animation and everything just kind of frozen - as I had left it before.

Force-quitting again, this time I decided to let the turn end before trying to settle. Locks up once I try to settle the city on Turn 2.
    Third time around, I move the settler a space, end turn, then try and settle. Locks up as I try to settle it.
    Last try, I started a new game... Duel sized but otherwise same settings, and the game again locks up when I try and settle the city.

I'm not really sure what to do here, what might be causing this or anything.
    For the time being, I might have to go back to the Rocks2Rockets 'trimmed down' version of C2C, even if it is very far behind content-wise and cuts out quite a few things I liked from the main mod :(

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Might just be a bug. I will look into city founding.

In the meantime, see if an SVN version before the last one gives you the same trouble.

3. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

I probably should have kept my save from the initial game too, to see if that lock-up from between turns was a repeating occurrence or not too :sad:

How should I go about that? Can I just tell the folder to revert a revision or two and it'll do it, or would I need an entirely new folder to create the SVN in? Just deleted everything inside the SVN folder and am refilling it with 8817, will see if that changes anything or not.

*edit* after this point in the SVN, I keep getting an error message... Will that affect things any if I try and run the game using it?
    G:\Games\Civ\C2C SVN\Assets\Sounds\Tech\FireMaking.mp3
    G:\Games\Civ\C2C SVN\Assets\CvGameCoreDLL.pdb
    G:\Games\Civ\C2C SVN\Assets\HydroAndTB.FPK
    G:\Games\Civ\C2C SVN\CvAltRoot.py
    Can't write to connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the
    remote host.

Completed!

4. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Well jumped a few revisions back, game started up fine despite those errors listed above, and I loaded my game. City founded without locking up! But, I scrapped that game and started a new one since I didn't notice it was set to Ancient Era and not Prehistoric. After the map finally finished generating, I try and settle my first city only to have the game once again lock up :/

So it doesn't seem to be unique to the latest revision unfortunately :(

5. Noriad2

Noriad2 Chieftain

Question: Is the folder you put in the C2C mod named EXACTLY
    "...\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos" or did you use a different folder name?

6. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I would suggest getting a fully clean checkout. Start over from a new folder. I have a feeling you're getting file conflictions somehow. It's also possible that if you're updating, you're doing so on the old svn. Tortoise had trouble this year and we had to initialize a new SVN (sorta).

7. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Yes, exactly that character to character :)
    I had to have the SVN on my iomega storage unit since I didn't have enough space on my laptop for both the SVN files and the mod itself. The actual mod's folder is titled properly however.

svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/caveman2cosmos/code/trunk is what I have currently; this the right one or the old one? I'll start it over in a new folder as you suggested :)

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

It's named the same is the thing. But if you have an old one you need to do a new checkout.

9. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Just did a fully clean SVN and install and everything looks alright so far... Started a Normal-Marathon 'Play Now' on the Three Planets mapscript, founded my first city and after ending the turn it locks up again :<

Save attached, 'just in case'... But I figure it's something on my end, game doesn't want me to play it :p

Attached Files:

10. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I've played 22 turns on your Game Rezca.
    Observations:
    1. You should never start a C2C game with a Tamed Lizard. That was supposed to be fixed. Means the SVN version you are using is not that latest. Or the Bug is not fixed. But I'm pretty sure T-brd fixed that or DH did. Verified problem still there with new games.
    2. 3 Planets Map is not a good map. Especially for someone getting back into C2C. Perfect Mongoose, any of the original maps, Perfect World, etc. are much better suited. 3 Planets has not been updated for awhile now (that I'm aware of anyway).
    3. At game start 1st turn did you go into BUG and set up your BUG options?

I would suggest that you update your SVN to latest version BUT Export v8818 or 8815. These 2 were known to be free of the Tamed Lizard Bug. I'm still using 8818 my self. Correction both versions exhibit the Tamed Lizard problem

Posted below is your Save advanced to turn 22.

One last thing, if you have been playing AND I strongly suggest you clear the cache file Before you try to Play C2C again. Not sure where you will find it as I don't know what version of Windows you are using. Oh and turn your graphics thru the BtS Options down to medium and see if that helps as well.

JosEPh :)

11. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Was the lizard thing an older problem Joe? I haven't had an opportunity to look into this yet but if was an older known problem then I'm not sure what he's got going on.

12. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Just tested both SVN 8818 and 8815 and the lizard shows up on both. So it's a pre 8815 svn version that started this Tamed Lizard problem.

Will dig a bit deep in a bit.

EDIT: Toffer on SVN 8812 "Fixed" a problem where Tamed Horse/Tamed Donkey was showing up at Game start instead of Stone Thrower. So it's either that version or the version Toffer attempted to fix. DH a few versions svn 8807 before had moved his zexperimentalAnimals Modules into the Core.

JosEPh

13. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Well... this is interesting:
    Maybe he'd have some insight here.

14. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

I think it is because I forgot the TECH on those units so they are around from the start. People were complaining about the tamed animals being all on the one tech taking up all the room.

15. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

It was the latest at the time I posted this thread, but guess that's not the case anymore xD

I tried one on Perfect World too, and had freeze-ups on founding a city there as well.

Yes, because I forgot to disable Multiple Production.

I always clear my cache when switching mods, and cleared 'em before starting new games too to test the freezing problem. I'll try setting my graphics lower, see if that helps any.

16. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Just minimized all graphical settings, and was able to get past the first turn. So I adjusted my BUG options and hit End Turn, froze up again.

Deleted my User Settings folder in the C2C folder and..... Suddenly everything works. I played through a dozen turns, then edited my BUG settings... And it kept going fine. Maybe it was linked to that somehow?

17. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Most certainly! I'm glad to hear this was most likely a result of an out of date user setting. Very relieving.

18. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

The Tamed Animal at start is on svn8806 as well.

Hopefully DH will figure this one out?

EDIT: I see DH is on it already. :thumbsup:

JosEPh

19. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Hopefully that's all it was ^^

On an unrelated note, been seeing some model art being swapped around... Until they're selected or enter combat. Wanderers look like Great Prophets, Horses look like Riders/Knights, Deer look like Horse Archers, Cave Lions look like Panthers... Not sure what happened there :lol:

Attached Files:

20. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Base Models are showing because of graphics. Up your graphics level now that you found your real problem.

JosEPh