Can't rename cities?

bcaiko

Emperor
In IGN's pre-review, Dan Stapleton mentions this awful bit of news:

If there’s one aspect I’m less than enthusiastic about right now (other than that you can’t rename cities)...
Although I suspect I know the reasons why, I cannot fully vent my sadness over this. Part of what's fun about Civ6 to me is to be able to role play as the Civ I play. Using my rudimentary language skills to make up city names, give my cities stories, and make the Civ truly my own is a great joy for me.

I'd hate to have to mod my game right away just to get this ability back. While I understand that for multiplayer purposes, randomizing and locking the city names makes some balance sense - I don't fully understand why this ability would be taken away in single player.

Thoughts? Looks like Civ6 will be a great game, but I still find this news to be terribly saddening.

In IGN's pre-review, Dan Stapleton mentions this awful bit of news:

If there’s one aspect I’m less than enthusiastic about right now (other than that you can’t rename cities)...
Although I suspect I know the reasons why, I cannot fully vent my sadness over this. Part of what's fun about Civ6 to me is to be able to role play as the Civ I play. Using my rudimentary language skills to make up city names, give my cities stories, and make the Civ truly my own is a great joy for me.

I'd hate to have to mod my game right away just to get this ability back. While I understand that for multiplayer purposes, randomizing and locking the city names makes some balance sense - I don't fully understand why this ability would be taken away in single player.

Thoughts? Looks like Civ6 will be a great game, but I still find this news to be terribly saddening.
It really doesn't make sense in multiplayer either.

I am confused. Is there a mechanic that is would cause this to be prevented?

Ed was also talking about a planned feature in last week's livestream, which struck me as slightly odd since it seemed clear that there was no way such a feature could be finished and tested in less than a week. So it seems clear that they are planning to release an unfinished product.

Not that this is surprising or unusual in this era of post-release patching and DLC, but it still feels weird to me.

I hope they get it out soon. I'm very disappointed; I'm actually less excited now as I wait for it to arrive.

It's probably somethind to do with how they implemented the naming algorithm. It's an odd thing not to have, and a shame, but I'd be lying if I said it bothered me terribly much.

It's probably somethind to do with how they implemented the naming algorithm. It's an odd thing not to have, and a shame, but I'd be lying if I said it bothered me terribly much.
Unlikely. A random selection from a list isn't more immutable than a fixed selection from a list from a programming perspective. Either way, once selected it should be equally subject to change. It's just a text string.

This seems like a really odd thing not to have. You used to get to name your cities right when you built them, then they switched to manual re-naming... now you can't re-name them at all?

Hopefully they get it soon. Sometimes I rename cities especially if I'm playing as the Aztecs whose city names all look the same to me.

I don't think I've ever renamed a city in Civ 5, and have only done it in Civ 4 because I accidentally named a city "b" by pressing the hotkeys too many times.

Really??
Odd. :crazyeye:

I like to be able to customize my experience and renaming was a simple way to do that for people who don't have the time or expertise to mod or just want to have a one off experience. Sometimes I like to play as a different leader with an in-game civ or as a civ that isn't in the game. If I'm Cicero, I'd like to make sure Arpinum, Tusculum, Lilybaeum, and Tarsus make it into my empire in addition to pursuing a Ciceronian agenda and policies. I'm fairly good at suspension of disbelief, so immersion is not usually an issue for me; but it does take something away from the experience as Ermesinde of Luxembourg when my capital is Aachen and my second city is Hanover rather than Eischen. It shouldn't affect my gameplay too much this week, though I did have a custom civ in mind for my first game. Nineteen civs should hold me for awhile, but it would effect how much I play in the long run were it not added.

I like to be able to customize my experience and renaming was a simple way to do that for people who don't have the time or expertise to mod or just want to have a one off experience. Sometimes I like to play as a different leader with an in-game civ or as a civ that isn't in the game. If I'm Cicero, I'd like to make sure Arpinum, Tusculum, Lilybaeum, and Tarsus make it into my empire in addition to pursuing a Ciceronian agenda and policies. I'm fairly good at suspension of disbelief, so immersion is not usually an issue for me; but it does take something away from the experience as Ermesinde of Luxembourg when my capital is Aachen and my second city is Hanover rather than Eischen. It shouldn't affect my gameplay too much this week, though I did have a custom civ in mind for my first game. Nineteen civs should hold me for awhile, but it would effect how much I play in the long run were it not added.
It was already tweeted by Ed that this is gonna be changed soon and you'll be able to rename cities. So no need to worry...
What startled me was you claim that this rather irrelevant problem spoils your excitement. If these are the bugs we'll be talking about I'm a happy gamer...

They can take away our right to name, but they will never take away our freeeedoom! :cry::crazyeye:
Hey! This is CivFanatics, after all! :lol: (Really, there's no possible reason to omit this feature, and it worries me that no one would catch this in testing. They did test the game before release, right?)

Top Bottom