Can't run Civ5 after moving Steam folder

kris159

Kris P Bacon
I bought Civ5 before it was released on Steam to save some money and get the babylonian DLC. Between the purchase and download of Civ5, the Steam folder was in my small-sized internal harddrive (C), since certain Total War games can only be played on NTFS drives.

After I got bored of Total War in favor of Civ5, I decided to uninstall it and move it to my external harddrive (F) to save some room for compulsory files such as mods for other games that go in application data and the like. It worked fine, I had no problems, and have been running it without fault since.

In very early preperation for Shogun: Total War II's release, I have moved Steam to C which took about 5 hours, considering the size of Steam and the speed of my external. After moving it, I decided to launch Civ5 only to fail unexpectedly. Civ5 will no longer open, it opens with steam to a black screen, then returns to he desktop. I can only speculate that it directly relates to me moving the Steam folder to C, as I did nothing else between the last time I started Civ5 and this one.

I've tried, as Steam suggested, deleting all folders and Files in the Steam directory except from Steamapps and Steam.exe, as they will automatically replace themselves, and still no cheese. I've also tried running the DirectX setup as an anonymous Civ FAQ thread suggested, although the situation had little to match mine.

I would prefer to not redownload the game as it might take a while and I may still remain without fruit, although I cannot say for sure that the download speed will be significantly increased due to it being downloaded to C instead of F, which is an FAT32.

"What makest thou?"

FAT32 isn't highly recommended for storing games on, you'll probably have to reinstall.

Also I wouldn't get hyped up about Shogun 2, I'd wait for the patches, LC, expansion and Gold Edition if I were you. And buy it on DVD, the game's going to be at ~20 gigs.

FAT32 isn't highly recommended for storing games on, you'll probably have to reinstall.

Also I wouldn't get hyped up about Shogun 2, I'd wait for the patches, LC, expansion and Gold Edition if I were you. And buy it on DVD, the game's going to be at ~20 gigs.

Well I've had the external it 1-2 years and it has not once given me problems, not even ones indirectly related to it such as this. I am reinstalling now as I got tired of waiting, and will probably act on your advice about Shogun 2, thanks.

Top Bottom