Can't run downloaded scenarios from civfanatics

Wooly

Chieftain
I've recently been downloading and trying to run some of the civ 2 scenarios available here on civfanatics.com. After extracting and opening them in the way I normally open the scenarios that came with Civ2 MGE, the game freezes and gives me the message that it has stopped working. No explanation or error message. I'm running on Win 7 64 bit.

Haven't had any problems running any other aspects of Civ (although the Mammoth scenario has never worked for me in the 10+ years I've been playing Civ 2). Any ideas how I might get these scenarios working? They sound really fun!

Which scenarios specifically are you trying to run?
There are a few scens that simply don't want to work, at least for me. One of them was Dread (yeah the Judge-related stuff) which simply causes Civ2 application to stop working. Normally I get the message of scenario error or incompatibility (although it's rare), but most things work for me.
I understand that since you're playing on win7 x64 (like me) you patched your civ2.exe?
What steps exactly did you follow, as in, which patches did you apply?

I've downloaded a ton of scenarios and they all seem to have the same aforementioned effect!

Regarding getting Civ 2 running on my current computer, I can't recall, it's been too long since I did the installation. I don't remember anything about patching though, but again I could have forgotten.

If you're playing it on win7 x64 then you have to be playing a patched version.
Unless you did not play any normal games (non-scenario). Try playing one and see if everything works, like re-naming cities and every other box that has something to write in. This is usually the element that crashes on unpatched version.

Alternatively, you could look around the civ2 forum technical section and simply go through the patching process. Then check if you still can't load the scenario, at least then we'll know if it's the game or something else.

Hey, sorry about the super late response! I have tried renaming cities and it does crash the game! D: That doesn't make sense though since I just used the MGE patch again to make sure it was up to date. What exactly is the patching process? Is it something more complex than just running the patcher?

Try the scenario league forum. That forum is still active, and those people play scenarios regularly, so they are more likely to have run into your problem.

Top Bottom