1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't start Civ4 BTS because of Python failure

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Bug Reports' started by Ambassador, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Ambassador

Ambassador Peacemonger

Hello all,

I just bought BTS and installed it without problems. Now everytime I try to start the game it crashes within initializin the game because of "python failure'. Trying to start Warlords it says, the file "Boost_python-VC71-MT-1_32.DLL" is missing. Is this just a fault of my CD? Can I get this file somewhere?

What to do???

2. Ambassador

Ambassador Peacemonger

P.S.: the file is actually on my laptop

3. Ambassador

Ambassador Peacemonger

Still, I can't start the game! :mad: What to do??

4. kazapp

kazapp Emperor

How about waiting a few days to give people a chance to answer you properly?

5. lulu135

lulu135 Warlord

Usually this is because some file got corrupted. Try uninstall and reinstall everything.

6. Ambassador

Ambassador Peacemonger

Is there some place to uninstall it except just deleting the files manually? I havent found it. Even with deleting the files manually the DVD still says its installed on my system. How to de-install and re.install?

7. Sam_Yeager

Sam_Yeager Another Original Geezer

You should have been able to uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs in the control panel. See the instructions below to completely uninstall:

Delete the "C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games" folder (assuming that where you installed it), delete the "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4" folder if it is still there.

Go into the registry (Start->Run->regedit) and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software. If this is the only game you have from Firaxis delete the key called "Firaxis Games" otherwise delete any sub keys of Firaxis Games" starting with "Sid Meier's Civilization 4". Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and delete the following keys {4377F918-E6C9-4ECA-A7F5-754B310B7ED8}, {CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}, {3E4B349F-10B5-4586-9D99-489A90A8B228} and {32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}.

Also delete the following folders if they exist:
    "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}"
    "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{3E4B349F-10B5-4586-9D99-489A90A8B228}"
    "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}"

NB. The InstallShield folder is hidden by default. You will need to configure Windows Explorer to show hidden files and folders.

Reboot, reinstall Civ4 & BTS and reboot again. With luck that will cure your problems (crosses fingers)

8. aukenlak

aukenlak Chieftain

I am having the same problem. I purchased Civ4 and Warlords from Direct2Drive but bought a retail box of BtS...and I can't get the game to run. I've updated all the games to their current versions, I've reinstalled multiple times and it still crashes whenever it tries to initiate Python. Strangely enough, the game never shows up in my "Firaxis Games" folder either, the only way to try and launch it is autorun via the optical drive, then it promptly crashes.

Any help is appreciated, Firaxis's site is...less than helpful.

Please help!!!

9. aukenlak

aukenlak Chieftain

Gah, looking at D2D's site, it looks like I'm hosed.

10. settler114

settler114 Chieftain

This happened to me on my laptop I had to manually put cab3 on my laptop but i still got this error.