Can't start revolution

jsab500

Chieftain
Am i missing something that is required to start a revolution? As far as i'm aware, it's 50% rebel sentiment in each city, and 50% overall on the bar on the revolution screen.

I've only played four or five games. I could do it in the first one which was the first scenario. I wanted to try to win a huge game by conquest, so i unticked independence victory on a custom game. I've tried twice (the second time just getting to 50% as soon as possible to test), and neither time could i press the "start revolution" button. It stayed greyed out.

Could this be a bug or am i missing something obvious?

Well that should just mean the game doesn't end when you achieve independence, not that independence shouldn't be possible as it's the main thing in the game.

Any..... slighlty more..... sensible answers?

I'm a little confused by the independence declaration part of the game too, but for a slightly different reason.

I have 4 colonies set up, and their independence support percentages are as follows:

Colony 1: 72% (My capital/biggest colony)
Colony 2: 78%
Colony 3: 84%
Colony 4: 100%

The revolution adviser is telling me that only 44% of my colonists support a revolution and it doesn't allow me to declare independence. Why? I don't understand how only 44% support it when my lowest colony is at 72%.

Is this a known bug? I'm hoping this is one of the many bugs I've stumbled across that will be taken care of in a patch.

I'm guessing that the number on the overall slider includes units that aren't in the settlements.

Rebel sentiment won't effect people not working in cities, which in my eyes is a huge flaw. One possible solution could be to stockpile weapons and food to quickly pump out soldiers after independence declaration but that would lower your rebel sentiment after declaring.

Rebel sentiment won't effect people not working in cities, which in my eyes is a huge flaw. One possible solution could be to stockpile weapons and food to quickly pump out soldiers after independence declaration but that would lower your rebel sentiment after declaring.
But your aggregate rebel sentiment after declaring isn't important. And when you take half a city's population and turn them into Dragoons, the 50% rebel sentiment jumps to 100% for that city.

I really, really, really wish colonists who aren't in settlements weren't counted against the overall sentiment, though.

Couldn't just ask to bring the thread back to my original question could i? Has any one else tried what i did?

Couldn't just ask to bring the thread back to my original question could i? Has any one else tried what i did?

Yes, had the same sort of game where I unchecked the Independence victory and also was not able to declare independence. So it seems like a result of unchecking the victory condition.

Ok thanks. Then it's either a bug or the world's gone completely insane (maybe a slight overreaction)

Yeah you're right, i've just done the exact same thing, getting to 50% as soon as possible, but with independence victory ticked. I could start the revolution. That's pretty ridiculous.

(My army of elder statesmen was killed rather easily too)

But your aggregate rebel sentiment after declaring isn't important. And when you take half a city's population and turn them into Dragoons, the 50% rebel sentiment jumps to 100% for that city.

I really, really, really wish colonists who aren't in settlements weren't counted against the overall sentiment, though.

It is important because you get a combat bonus for each percent above 50%.

Ok thanks. Then it's either a bug or the world's gone completely insane (maybe a slight overreaction)

I'm confused why you think this is a bug... You unchecked declaring independence as a victory condition, so it doesn't let you. Seems pretty clear cut to me.

I'm confused why you think this is a bug... You unchecked declaring independence as a victory condition, so it doesn't let you. Seems pretty clear cut to me.

What he said...

However I understand your frustration jsab500 since you don't get a combat bonus.

It's hard not to get angry when people say such things. Which is why i'm angry. Read my second post.

So you want all the benefits of declaring independence but not have to deal with the pesky REF? You're questioning why this isn't allowed and wondering out loud if it's a bug? Really?

I guess he wants to declare independence, fight it out with the King and not have "game over"...

Well that should just mean the game doesn't end when you achieve independence, not that independence shouldn't be possible as it's the main thing in the game.

Well.....how were you hoping to eventually win a game as an invasion of the homeland is not possible. I don't believe that the tick box option should be available for independence as you have already pointed out that this is an integral part of the game. I don't think that this game is geared up for a Civ type domination or conquest type victory. It is wholly reliant on the succesful declaration of independence as far as I understand it.

On a related note, what does "Europe victory" mean? I've seen it in custom game menu?

It's a perfectly sensible answer. This is no different from a custom game in CivIV when you uncheck diplomatic victory or space race, and can't build the UN or the Apollo Program. It's like that in all Meier games, if you disable a victory condition, you can't do the things that would bring on that victory if you had it checked. (Except I suppose eliminating opponents for conquest.)

I personally leave Independence as the ONLY victory condition checked. That way, you don't have any time limit and can declare independence at leisure.

I also think it might be cool if a future patch had other victory conditions. You should be able to win victory as a loyalist, by building a really big empire, or eliminating all European rivals, or wiping out X% of native settlements/native nations, or whatever. It might be interesting if you could choose whether your Statesmen generated Liberty Bells (towards independence) or Loyalty Bells (same other effects but no increase in rebel sentiment). Of course, to make this work they would have to balance the European AI as well -- right now the natives can be pretty formidable but the Europeans are pushovers.

Top Bottom