Can't take all level 2 ideology tenets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacozilla

Warlord
Just noticed something in my current autocracy domination game. Never noticed before since usually take order even for my domination games but been trying autocracy lately and I really wanted to take the tier 2 tenet Police State for the extra conquering happiness.

But wasn't paying attention and just assumed I could take it whenever, but seems like after I pick 4 level-2 tenets (of the 6 total possible), then you're locked out of taking anymore.

Which seems odd to me because you can take every tier 1 tenet eventually, and every tier 3. Whether its worth it is separate issue but the game doesn't cap you from maxing tier 1 or 3 long as you have the SP points.

Any thoughts why that would be?

With other ideologies I never noticed because really don't want to take more than a few of the tier 2 ones, but with autocracy they all are just so good I'd really like to take at least 5 of the 6.

Just noticed something in my current autocracy domination game. Never noticed before since usually take order even for my domination games but been trying autocracy lately and I really wanted to take the tier 2 tenet Police State for the extra conquering happiness.

But wasn't paying attention and just assumed I could take it whenever, but seems like after I pick 4 level-2 tenets (of the 6 total possible), then you're locked out of taking anymore.

Which seems odd to me because you can take every tier 1 tenet eventually, and every tier 3. Whether its worth it is separate issue but the game doesn't cap you from maxing tier 1 or 3 long as you have the SP points.

Any thoughts why that would be?

With other ideologies I never noticed because really don't want to take more than a few of the tier 2 ones, but with autocracy they all are just so good I'd really like to take at least 5 of the 6.

How many Tier 1 tenets have you taken?

How many Tier 1 tenets have you taken?

I think what Jacozilla means is that there are more level 2 tenets, than there are level 2 slots.

There is an equal number of tenets and slots for level 1 and 3 (7 and 3 respectively), so you can get all of them. That is not the case for level 2 as there are 6 tenets, but only 4 slots.

To me it seems a bit odd, especially since they added the two extra slots for level 1. Maybe they thought that all of the level 2 tenets were so powerful that the player shouldn't be allowed to pick them all. Or maybe it was just an oversight. Who knows? :)

I think what Jacozilla means is that there are more level 2 tenets, than there are level 2 slots.

There is an equal number of tenets and slots for level 1 and 3 (7 and 3 respectively), so you can get all of them. That is not the case for level 2 as there are 6 tenets, but only 4 slots.

To me it seems a bit odd, especially since they added the two extra slots for level 1. Maybe they thought that all of the level 2 tenets were so powerful that the player shouldn't be allowed to pick them all. Or maybe it was just an oversight. Who knows? :)

Exactly. I'm ok with the prerequisites of having certain number of prior tier tenets before next tier slot opens up, but it seems only for tier 2 there are more possible tenets than slots (4 slots, 6 choices at tier 2)

For order and freedom I never really noticed as I don't really want more than a few of the tier 2 tenets, but with autocracy and my play style, 5 of the 6 are really good. Guess next time will have to pay more attention and make sure I take the 4 I want before it caps out.

That does happen. When it comes to the level 2 tenet, one must sometimes choose carefully because not all of the 6 level 2 tenets can be taken.

This has been the case since release of BNW and appears to be intentional.
But you really don't need to fill the complete ideology tree anyway. In fact I often only fill one of the level 3 tenets and then go back to policies. (By having picked the best 3 level 1s; best 2 level 2s; and the best level 3 for my intended victory condition)

This has been the case since release of BNW and appears to be intentional.
But you really don't need to fill the complete ideology tree anyway. In fact I often only fill one of the level 3 tenets and then go back to policies. (By having picked the best 3 level 1s; best 2 level 2s; and the best level 3 for my intended victory condition)
Well that still doesn't answer why. I agree with OP and #3 that it IS a bit odd, particularly seeing how they added extra slots to max the level 1 tenets. I do think it makes sense to have to chose a limited number from the pool, and in fact I would myself have left out the extra level 1 slots, but I've never seen an official comment on why they chose this design, so I don't think we officially know why. Balance reasons might be best guess, given that some idealogies (particularly Autocracy) has a range of really powerful level 2 tenets (in fact in case of Autocracy, I'd say that several of the level 2 tenets are more powerful than the level 3 tenets).

Balance reasons might be best guess, given that some idealogies (particularly Autocracy) has a range of really powerful level 2 tenets (in fact in case of Autocracy, I'd say that several of the level 2 tenets are more powerful than the level 3 tenets).

I'm not familiar with Autocracy (goes too much against my normal game) but that definitely isn't the case with Freedom. It may be that there are more level 2 autocracy tenets highly useful for conquering the world than you can take in a given game.
That doesn't seem to be the case with any of the other victory conditions for Autocracy or any victory condition at all for Liberty & Order (provided you chose the victory condition you wanted before taking your first level 2 tenet and stuck with it)

I'm not familiar with Autocracy (goes too much against my normal game) but that definitely isn't the case with Freedom. It may be that there are more level 2 autocracy tenets highly useful for conquering the world than you can take in a given game.

• Third Alternative - Strategic Resource Quantity Doubled. +5 Food/Science in Capital.
  • Police State - +3 Happiness from Courthouses. Build them twice as fast.
  • Nationalism - Unit Maintenance Cost reduced 33%
  • Militarism - +2 Local Happiness from Barracks, Armory, Military Academy
  • Lightning Warfare - +3 Movement for Great Generals. Armor units gain +15% attack, +1 Movement and ignore enemy ZOC.
  • Total War - +25% Production when building Military Units and new Military Units start with +15 Experience.

All are useful for Domination... you can drop Police State/Lightning Warfare if going for Diplo/CV.... or Science, if you like enough of a challenge to go Auto-Science Victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom