[GS] Can't understand the Sovereignty Resolution's Outcome A

I might have asked this in the Quick Questions and Answers some time ago but got no reply.
Please explain the Sovereignty Resolution's Outcome A (+100% of the City-States' yield type when sending Trade Routes to a City-State of this type.) I checked ingame with a cultural city-state, but found no differerence in any yields with this resolution on.

You're looking specifically at the trade route yields for your trade routes to city states of the correct type?

I haven't looked at this closely, but I've been assuming that it only affects, e.g., the culture from trade routes to culture city states if culture is the type selected. Which would generally make it a pretty small bonus for me, hence the minimal attention to it.

You're looking specifically at the trade route yields for your trade routes to city states of the correct type?

I haven't looked at this closely, but I've been assuming that it only affects, e.g., the culture from trade routes to culture city states if culture is the type selected. Which would generally make it a pretty small bonus for me, hence the minimal attention to it.
I did check the culture yield from a trade route to a cultural city-state! But it didn't impress me) Thanks for explaining

Love this general language.
So let your imagination run a bit on how this could work with Kumasi Suzerain.
I wonder how it works with the Market Economy card... or Triangular trade to gold CS.

Last edited:
I've thought about this resolution too. My hypothesis/conclusion was that it doubles the yields from the envoy bonuses. Can be entirely false though.

Don't know if it's a local bonus if city trades with city state and if it got the districts and buildings, the bonus is given. Or if it is sufficient to have one city trade with the city state to get the bonus in all districs in your empire.

I've thought about this resolution too. My hypothesis/conclusion was that it doubles the yields from the envoy bonuses. Can be entirely false though.

Don't know if it's a local bonus if city trades with city state and if it got the districts and buildings, the bonus is given. Or if it is sufficient to have one city trade with the city state to get the bonus in all districs in your empire.
I second you. I have always assumed it doubled the envoy bonus ,only for the city in question. Now that I pause to think , there is nothing confirming this. I might be completely wrong here.

I always had the distinct impression it refered to the (1!) science/culture/production/faith you get from setting traders to that particular type of city state, which makes the whole resolution completely ridiculous (yay, now I get 2 science/culture/production/faith instead of one).

Which brings up another albeit related question, namely: Am I the only one who find trade routes to City States generally giving horrible yields (Kumasi not included)?

Compared to an ally, there is no contest. Now compared to an AI (immortal is my go-to), they stay competitive in gold - at least- from classical on. And you don't provide bonuses to the receiving end. Plus sometime early, this CS on the back of your empire is your only safe resort. So there is that.

Perry sure this is not the case. I think I checked, was disappointed to find no change, then re-read the description and concluded it had to do with trade route yields only, but I had no trade routes to the right type of CS and then forgot about it.

Haven't seen the resolution since this discussion started.

It does seem odd that military would be an option when that type doesn't have a special trade route yield.

@KyivanRusCivPlease military appears to net... production... and @kaspergm it looks like its only the base so is crap all the time but 2 not 1

This is with a culture CS route bonus in place
upload_2019-8-14_22-47-38.png

This is with a military CS route bonus in place
upload_2019-8-14_22-51-53.png

This is with a culture CS in place from a big city
upload_2019-8-14_22-52-54.png

Last edited:
@KyivanRusCivPlease military appears to net... production... and @kaspergm it looks like its only the base so is crap all the time but 2 not 1

This is with a culture CS route bonus in place
View attachment 532719

This is with a military CS route bonus in place
View attachment 532720

This is with a culture CS in place from a big city
View attachment 532721
Hm, I wonder what makes the culture yields rise that much in the last pic...
And thanks for the help

EDIT: Well, I start to think that e.g. a trade route's culture yield depends on the starting city's culture yield.

Last edited:
I wonder what makes the culture yields rise that much in the last pic...
Kumasi Suzerain. 6 source districts = 12 +1 for source Kumasi culture from ots district and +1 from the congress resolution. If it truly was 100% of everything it would have been 26 culture.

Last edited:
Kumasi Suzerain. 4 districts = 8 +2 for source Kumasi culture and +2 from the congress resolution. If it truly was 100% of everything it would have been 20 culture.
So, going back to that last pic, the base Kumasi trade route culture yield apparently makes 1 for a cultural city state + 1 for a Theater Square Kumasi has built.

So, going back to that last pic, the base Kumasi trade route culture yield apparently makes 1 for a cultural city state + 1 for a Theater Square Kumasi has built.
I may have had the first pic wrong a bit (have changed to avoid misleading)
Here the source has 1 harbour as its only district and Kumasi does not have a thater and Vilnius does.
So nothing for a culture city state... +1 once it has its district.
upload_2019-8-15_11-20-7.png

upload_2019-8-15_11-17-34.png

Actually this is weird.... with the resolution in place
upload_2019-8-15_11-27-31.png

I am confused now...

EDIT...
So this is with Fez and no resolution in place
Fez and Vilnius have their correct districts
upload_2019-8-15_11-41-3.png

This is with the resolution in place
upload_2019-8-15_11-58-26.png

And this is with the source having an additional district and the resolution in place
upload_2019-8-15_12-0-51.png

So it just looks like a simple +2 for the resolution and the 100% is a weird description?
upload_2019-8-15_12-4-3.png

Last edited:
Perhaps they started with +100% then realized that could be ridiculous with Kumasi, changed it to +2, but never updated the description?
I don't think so since the modifier "WC_RES_MODIFY_CITY_STATE_TRADE_YIELD" has 100 in its Value column.

*Edit: Just spit-balling here. Could the discrepancy just be a rounding quirk? If Vilnius, has say 1.3 base culture and +2 for the Kumasi CS bonus, it might get rounded down to 3 from 3.3 in the UI. With the resolution though it would increase to 4.6 (1.3*2+2) and get rounded up to 5. With an additional district it goes to 6.6 (1.3*2+4) and get rounded up to 7.

Last edited:
Top Bottom