Cape Town-Vladivostok Express

Comrade Aart

Civ1 diplomat
This thread is about adding a new concept, that is maybe fit for new challenges for the "Game of the Month".

In a thread on the civ1 forum, someone once mentioned that he and his friends had a challenge to build an expressway from Cape Town to Vladivostok with the English in as little time possible. I'm not sure if it was about these cities, but this is how I can recall it. So this is the goal of this game. I played it on prince difficulty.

Ahh, the English! On the earth map they have, without any doubt, the worst starting position of all civs. GREAT-Britain is not that BIG in this game and water tiles are a waste of city tiles, except if they have fish on it. Enfin; this will prove quite a challenge.

The first thing I did was creating a colony in South Africa. Unfortunately for me, the Zulus were there to ruin all the fun.

The Zulus were more advanced than I was. Me being stuck on an island having only one bad city didn't contribute to this fact. I traded "Map Making" for "The Wheel" and then smashed the civ. This was easily done.

What was also on the screenshot was a Mongolian warrior. With my recruited chariots I went to the north. To both explore the territory were the express should go and to kill the highly aggressive Mongols.

I also settled at the Suez channel, which might be useful in the future. (Never needed it though.)

Finally I had a settler in South Africa and was able to create the colony Cape Town: the starting station on the railway to Vladivostok (which doesn't exist yet).

I'm still running Despotism at this point, crippling my colonies with corruption. This made me think about switching governments. I want to go to Republic, so I can research Railroad faster. Unfortunately I can't do that now, so I will beeline to "The Republic" with my research.

The Mongols were defeated easily with support from London, which kept on sending chariots. The way to Vladivostok seems open, but no.

The Chinese are still alive. Conquering their civ was no problem, since they only had Peking. Only once in my live did I see a thriving Chinese civ on earth. Not that I mind in this case; my civ is really primitive at this point.

The year 1AD. Normally you have at least universities or gunpowder. But no. The English are still researching "The Republic" and yes, by beelining.:mad:

Do notice that the building project is going; slowly but going.

Finally! The English now know about "The Republic". "Say you want a revolution?" (Sorry; that shot of Liverpool made me sing that.)

Soon my cities will boom, since I irrigated everything; even squares which were not in use yet.
Ironically a few years later I switch to Democracy, since I finished the Pyramids. Stupid decisions that I make: horrible. :(

Out of the blue, my South East Asian city is being conquered by vile Russians. Probably they live on Australia.

The Russians are not as advanced, but they have lots of units. Another problem is that they are to the south of the express and the Indians, that I found later were to my north, sandwiching me and threatening the express!

The Indians do have some cities, but I capture Delhi, so that they have no capital and that I can buy cities for a few gold, that are in the way.

And after many, many years, the English reach the east, building a city and give it the appropriate name "Vladivostok" ("Control East!") Although in game years I'm really slow, in real life the Russians built it in the 19th century, I though. So I beat them. ;)

And in the year 1814, the English FINALLY built the Cape Town-Vladivostok Express!
Southern Africa:

Central Africa:

Middle East and Central Asia:

Last but not least: East Asia:

Note the horde of barbarians. They don't like Railroads. ;)

What I did wrong:
- Don't settle immediately in South Africa!!! The corruption is too high.
- Don't kill civs immediately: they build roads as well. I practically created every road (except for 1 or 2 tiles)
- Maybe I should have moved my capital and switch to monarchy, or switch to communism.

I hope this was a little bit interesting. Maybe elements like these can be add in a victory condition list for the "Game of the Month" section, so that it becomes a little bit more challenging.

PS: When I wrote this, I was pretty tired, so this post could contain major phrasing errors. I hope that you'll be able to read it. ;)

Great story and a great challenge.
When you invent your own scenarios like this you
realize that this game never becomes played out.

Thanks! It is not fully my own scenario, since I was inspired by someone else.
I do realize that the game is unfinished. Probably I will continue with it some day and see if I can do something useful with this crappy civ. That railroad was really a strain on the English. The coolest challenge is to destroy my enemies and win with a conquest victory. What do you think?

I wonder if I will make it. First I want Automobile and then switch to communism. Then I want to conquer Russia, what is left of India and destroy the civs in the Americas. The Aztec and the French live there.
A few turns before I finished the railroad this window popped up with the most advanced peoples and I was only nr2. :S

You've shown those barbarious tribes what a truly civilized nation can
achieve, no need to rub it in by wiping them off the map.
At least let them live long enough to build their own railway.

In my current game I'm doing a bit of a twist, I'm the English and
I'm trying to get the Babylonians to win by Space Race as soon
as possible. Difficulty emperor, 7 civs and a large random map.

Pretty cool except that Hammurabi is a hard man to please.
Each time I give him something he wants more and he's
always looking for ways to stab me in the back!
And now the Russians wants a piece of the cake too!

Ok. I couldn't sleep, because my game wasn't done. ;)

I've decided to go for a space race victory. This doesn't mean that I'm free from war. The Russians, who are settled on Australia, Indonesia and Japan, keep on sending musketmen and knights. They are not though per see, but highly annoying. So that is why I'm intercepting their ships from reaching the mainland.

This is a nice thing however. Moscow is next to the sea. This means that it is best to bombard it and capture it, so corruption will go up drastically. I never did this however, because of other priorities, namely fighting more advanced enemies and building space ship parts.

The Aztecs probably landed on Kamchatka and are trying to invade my Eastern colonies.

A cannon is not bad, but very soon they came with 10 cannons at once and after that with armor. Those guys are not to be messed with!
This shows a big challenge in this long express way: Different enemies at every side of the empire!

After building the Apollo Program, I took a look at the cities of the enemy. I'm glad I didn't start to invade them. They are just huge. And at this time, all players had armor (even the Russians!), so I was defending most of the time anyway.

I dropped my science rate to 0% to get more income. With this extra bit, I rushed this nice space ship. I could already launch it in 1915, which I didn't expect anymore after my last post.

After I launch my ship I immediately switched my capital to York, which lies in modern Iran. This was a good move, because this Aztec transport full of armor landed there shortly after. This screenshot is missing btw. :S

Of course I won. It was a lousy ending I know. I just posted this for all the people who wanted to see this end. ;) (Now I can sleep again)

If I'm going to do a next story, I will play at a higher difficulty level. This was just too easy and more to be seen as an experiment. The challenge is best described with this image:

My empire is so narrow, that it is sandwiched by the other civs. This long front war was only manageable, because of the low difficulty level and my big treasury (buying enemy armor -hint-hint-). If this was at a harder level, I probably would have switched to Communism and kick some ass first.

Hope you liked it.

Allright, a Civ1 story! Nice victory. I'd never seen much of, let alone played, Civ1, and thus the screenshots were a great bonus to the story. Very well told; I'll check back later in case you ever do another story.

Thanks for the positive comments!
When I pressed "Post Message" I felt quite guilty for spamming this junk. ;)

I've noticed that the forum doesn't have that many screenshots of civ1. I encountered (in some games), some very peculiar messages, that I didn't see in a screenshot on this forum. There were already "cultural assimilations" in civ1 (although I don't know its exact mechanics) and once there was a message about the people being angry over an invasion (only encountered it once a long time ago).
In my next games I will take screenshots and if I encounter something sweet, I will post it in the civ1 forum as a story. ;)

Top Bottom