Capetown got Burned to the ground!!

iam2509

Chieftain
In my current game playing as Spain, I had the CS Capetown ten hexes to my east and east of Capetown was Venice.

Very quickly, Venice made Capetown its puppet. (I assume by using the Merchant of Venice ability.) I then built my city of Victoria four hexes from Capetown and four hexes from Prague which was situated to the south. (The natural wonder Lake Victoria was at that time under the control of Prague but by using a Citadel I would seize Victoria for myself - and as Spain get 12 food per turn from it.)

Soon the Zulus far to the south declared war on me and very nearly captured my city of Victoria. We eventually made equal peace after he had several times demanded Victoria as part of any peace agreement.

The Zulus then declared war on Venice. In short order Venice had fallen, and all the Venetians had was Capetown. I then watched as the Zulu armies pounded and took Capetown.

I thought that was it. For the next couple of turns I went about my business with trade routes, etc. (Not doing very well overall in the game but having fun nonetheless.)

I then looked to my east and OMG!! , Capetown was gone. The Zulus had RAZED it to the ground.

That is the first time I had ever seen a City State razed. Maybe it was because it was a puppet of Venice. Talk about being surprised.

Now to keep the Zulus happy so he will bother someone else....

Monty razed one of my allied city states in the last war I fought with him. It is a pretty common occurrence in BNW. It will make a fine archeology site when the Industrial era rolls around.

Venice turns city states into normal cities. They can't be liberated, can be razed etc.

Not very surprising to be honest. Have you never played as or against Austria in G+K? Same mechanics.

Top Bottom