Captain James Kirk of the Federation

Frodo Bolson

Warlord
As I understand, with the expansion Alien Cross fire someone is able to create custom factions, instead of just changing the names of the regular ones. However, I never saw that game being sold anywhere, so I would like to know if it is possible to create custom factions without the expansion

It´s relatively easy! ;)

In the main SMAC path, you have the faction files for every original faction, like UNIV.TXT or HIVE.TXT, etc.
That´s where the faction information is stored. There also is a FACTION.TXT explaining everything stored in such a file!
An example:
HIVE.TXT, german one:
//my comments, read the FACTION.TXT and the ALPHA.TXT for more. :yeah:

Code:
;
; Sid Meier's ALPHA CENTAURI
;
; FACTION FILE: The Human Hive
;
; Copyright (c) 1997, 1998 by Firaxis Games, Inc.
;
; ALPHA CENTAURI ruft die Spielregeln beim Start von dieser Datei
; auf. Sie können auf eigenes Risiko mit dieser Datei experimentieren.
; Wir empfehlen Ihnen, eine Sicherungskopie der Originaldatei anzulegen.
;

#HIVE
//Names, descriptions, AI behavior (the last five 1s or 0s)
Der Kollektivgeist, Die Despoten, Kollektiv, N, 1, Yang, M,  1,  1, 0, 1, 0,
//TECH, the techs you receive in the beginning,
//FACILITY, buildings from the start
//SOCIAL, boni for certain social "government" types
//many other things like MORALE boni, PSI boni, RESEARCH, ENERGY, COMMERCE boni, etc
//for the correct spelling and the numbers, refer to the ALPHA.TXT
  TECH, DocLoy, FACILITY, 4, SOCIAL, +GROWTH, SOCIAL, +INDUSTRY, SOCIAL, --ECONOMY
//allowed/disallowed governments
  Politik, Polizeistaat, POLICE
  Politik, Demokratie, Null
  //several names and diplo phrases

#BASES
//all available base names
#END

#WATERBASES
//waterbase names
#END

#BLURB
//the thing that is written when selecting this faction

#DATALINKS1
//all that´s written in the datalinks about the faction

#DATALINKS2
//more datalinks

#FACTIONTRUCE
#xs 440
#caption $CAPTION7
//diplo talk

#FACTIONTREATY
#xs 440
#caption $CAPTION7
//more diplo talk

# ; Diese Zeile muß am Dateiende stehen.

Hope that helps.
:D

Originally posted by Frodo Bolson
As I understand, with the expansion Alien Cross fire someone is able to create custom factions, instead of just changing the names of the regular ones. However, I never saw that game being sold anywhere, so I would like to know if it is possible to create custom factions without the expansion

I believe that Alpha Centauri includes the (unstable) FACedit.exe, but a better alternative would be ACEDIT. Just search for it on Yahoo or something, you'll find it.

I've created my own Tassadarian Faction this way :D

That´s incorrect, SMAC does not include any faction editor! :p

SMAC-X includes one (FACedit.exe) and that is relatively stable, but there are better ones.

Is it possible to make factions with other images, instead of the ones of each game faction?

In the path /facts/ in the SMAC main directory are all faction graphics. Just make one of your own liking, in the same format. :yeah:

Better to edit an existing one, but be sure to backup the original. Already existing faction pics can be found on several fansites around the net.

Finally I have completed my first edited faction: Goodbye President Morgan of the Morgans, hello Profesor Hubert Farnsworth of the Planet Express (note: Futurama). I have noticed a little problem: this edited faction has not its "first" actions (first new base, first base improvement, first tech, first secret proyect, etc) listed in that great monument of achivements. Did I made something wrong, or is it supposed to happen that way?

Top Bottom