Capto Iugulum: 1920 - 1939

To: Paris-Burgundy

Gottfrid Larson, previously the Ambassador to the Franco-Burgundian Confederation, has been appointed as the Ambassador to your nation. Though our embassy sustained some collateral damage during the Battle of Paris, repairs are underway and it remains in full operation. We have dispatched a paper detailing the financial agreements between our two governments. May the friendship that existed between Vinland and France-Burgundy live on through your nation.

You don't owe me any money.

To: Paris-Burgunday, Vinland

As discussed before, we intend on helping see to it that Vinland is payed back in some manner or another. If Paris-Burgundy, or Vinland would like to send us further details on the amount of money owed, we can attempt to help alleviate some of the economic pressure.

ooc: Really? So I own money to Italy, Vinland and Argetina, and I do not have to pay anything to Germany?

Sounds about right, yes. I intend on helping you pay back some of your debt as well. Not all of it, but some.

Amount Owed| Amount Paid| Year End Balance |Year
173 | 0 | 180 | 1927
180| 0| 187| 1928
187| 0| 195| 1929
195| 0| 203| 1930
203| 0| 211| 1931
211| 0| 219| 1932
219| 0| 228| 1933
228| 0| 237| 1934

Present year highlighted. Paris-Burgundy is able to play it at whichever rate they wish, noting that sooner payments will result in less debt accruing from interest.

We will be paying 1/3 of Paris-Burgundy's current planned payment of 90 [EP] this turn. We will be sending him the money to pay to you.

From my understanding, they are paying you 90. I am giving him 30 of it.

I will pay 90 EP's this turn to Vinland.

lurker's comment: Those loans were taken out on behalf of the whole Confederation, absolutely not on the security of the Parisian Crown, which is in no way, shape or form according to the constitution a state different from any other in the Confederation. Paris and Burgundy definitely isn't legally liable for the entire amount.

OOC: That is my thought- having Paris-Burgundy pay off the loans in their entirety is tricky. However, unless I can get other post-FBC nations to chip in, then Paris-Burgundy is responsible, as the legal successor of the Confederation.

Their is no reasonable or easy way to disperse the loans among the newly independent states in Europe. By choosing to separate themselves from the old FBC, they are recognized as completely new and independent states, free of prior deals made by the Confederate government. Large amounts of the Confederate government remain in place in Paris, and as the successor government, it's only reasonable that they have to pay off the loans they decided to accept. If the newly independent states wish to offer PB money to help pay off the loans, then so be it. The Imperial German Union is willing to help Paris-Burgundy to pay off it's loans to Vinland and Argentina. Loans paid to Italy should already be paid off, if I understand correctly. When Vinland and Argentina are paid off, the nasty business of war loans will be over. So it's hardly like Paris-Burgundy has been left out to dry.

I obviously have no IC objection to anything, but I am pointing out that you are utterly mistaken to believe that Paris has any legal state that makes it, any more than any other part of the Confederation, responsible. That's like saying that if Germany split up, Bavaria would be responsible for all its debt.

If Germany is split up, if the region around Munich, maintaining the previous German administrations government and colonies, if viewed to be the successor to Germany, then it would make sense for that government to pay war debts. I mean, sure, Paris-Burgundy could just as easily tell Vinland and Argentina to shove it. But being recognized as the main successor, that would probably lead to some hostility at some point.

Yes, but why is P-B being viewed as the (sole) constitutional successor to the Confederation? This has no basis in any sort of constitutional theory whatsoever.

Treaty of Saint-Gallen said:
IX. All remaining territories within the confines of what remains of the Franco-Burgundian Confederation shall be given the opportunity to hold a plebiscite to determine the national future of it's citizenry. Each Kingdom and subdivision shall be given the opportunity to continue to be ruled under the Parisian government (currently relocated in Poiters) and continue under the umbrella of the articles of this treaty, the ability to be independent, or the ability to seek unification with an already established power in region (be it the Imperial German Union, The Kingdom of Italy, Occitania, Brittany or the Netherlands.)

XIII. The remaining Confederate State (liable to be renamed at a future juncture) based out of Paris will be afforded similar rights to these independent states (if created), though will remain under Treaty regulations. Despite the terms of the Treaty, the remaining Confederate state is to be allotted a similar freedom to self-determination, and will be promised protection by the German military until a point to be determined.

XI. The Parisian government will revoke it's policy of attempting to subvert nationalistic tendencies, and shall give it's people free reign to determine their national futures.
Articles 9, 11, 13, of the Treaty of Saint-Gallen implicitly equivalate the Paris government with the government of the Franco-Burgundian Confederation. These areas also share the same capitals and governments.

Despite this, we would rather that all of the former nations of the Confederation would contribute- but if that cannot be achieved, then our only recourse is to deal directly with Paris-Burgundy.

To: French successor states and Spanish secessionist states

We recognize the legitimacy of the new European states and look forward to good future relations.

To: Normandy

The Norman and British people have an old and linked history with each other, and with Norman independence, we seek to establish good relations with Normandy. We'd like to begin with some economic and political treaties to foster goodwill and mutual prosperity of our nations.

To: Brittany

It's unfortunate that the Bretons seek to promote hostility between our people, especially considering that it was Brittany who was responsible for the Breton crisis, not the United Kingdom. If you wish to start a trade war and up your tariffs on our goods, then so be it. We will respond likewise, but ultimately Brittany will be hurt more, as while Brittany was only a portion of British trade volume, we were your major trading partner prior to the Breton crisis. That is your doing. But you are still bound by treaty to continue the reparation payments you agreed to.

To: Russia

Top Bottom