Capto Iugulum: 1920 - 1939

TO: Paris-Burgundy

We thank you for your timely response to a payment plan. We hope trade and friendly relations between our nations, in spite of your new status, can continue.

I wonder, does the Colombian government knows anything of international law? It seems that the Colombians are interested only in imperialism and war.

Colombia is part of PADA, an organization dedicated to anti-imperialism and peace. Paris-Burgundy is part of the German Alliance, an organization built on bloodshed for the purposes of more bloodshed.

ooc: By the way, why I should be the only state that pays those debts? Those debts were made when the Confederation still existed. I mean, you cannot really expect a state that lost like 70% or more of it's territories to pay the same amount of money that the entire confederation would pay.

I think that part, even small, of the current debts should be paid off by the rest post-confederated states.

OOC: Talk to Germany about it; they're the ones saying you have to take responsibility for it all on your own.

To: Colombia
CC: Jacksonia; Florida

We question the motives of Colombia in this matter. The enforcement of the economic portions of this treaty shall be undertaken gradually to avoid any sudden and destabilizing shifts in the economy. Furthermore, we note that Colombia's actions in this matter do nothing except cause further economic hardship. The conclusion of a free trade agreement between former United States does nothing but ensure lasting goodwill among brothers. There is no hostility in this agreement to Colombia, nor any nation in the world. Colombia and Brazil are truly just seeking excuses to attempt to harm the United States and her interests. Should we be cut off from the canal, we will merely seek other means to conduct our business.

Blame Terrance and Nuke. :p

As stated in the PM I sent you EQ, I should have 287 EP banked, not 173.

To: USA, Florida, Jacksonia

We are concerned that your new treaties may be economically ruinous and politically destabilizing.

To: Kongo

Please recognize the independence of your former provinces. So many rebellious provinces indicate problems with deeper roots than can be solved via the Scandinavian soldiers of Africa.

To: Kingdom of Paris-Burgundy, Germany

Our view on the matter of legal successors with regards to Confederate war debt is that the Kingdom of Paris-Burgundy is the sole legal successor. Our position that we made clear in the terms of the loan are that its' legal successor is the state which contains the city of Paris, the seat of the Confederate government. As Paris-Burgundy was the dominant political force in the Confederation, we feel this is an entirely reasonable position. If Germany feels that the other fragments of the Confederation need reimburse Paris-Burgundy for some of this debt, Germany can attempt to persuade them so. Our loan is for 55 EP to be repaid within 5 years of the end of the war, that is, by 1931.

The enforcement of the economic portions of this treaty shall be undertaken gradually to avoid any sudden and destabilizing shifts in the economy.

That is not what the posted treaty states. Edit it to phase in the economic effects over 20 years, and we'll let you have fun with destroying your economy, as Colombia ought to be insulated enough from the effects that way.

Furthermore, we note that Colombia's actions in this matter do nothing except cause further economic hardship.

As stated in our previous communique, these actions would serve to insulate Colombia to some limited extent from your folly. Lowered economic growth is still better than sudden economic decline.

The conclusion of a free trade agreement between former United States does nothing but ensure lasting goodwill among brothers. There is no hostility in this agreement to Colombia, nor any nation in the world.

If you actually believe that anyone would buy that, this discussion is a waste of time. It is absolutely clear that you are simply using this treaty to further some inane goals of yours by holding a knife to the throat of the economy of the Americas. What those goals may be, Colombia could not possibly care less. Seeing a group of nations maliciously threaten large-scale economic disruption, however, is something Colombia cares about.
It is an insult to the collective intelligence of the world that you would even try to use such an argument.

Colombia and Brazil are truly just seeking excuses to attempt to harm the United States and her interests.

Again, your interests are of absolutely no interest to Colombia. We are far too busy with our own affairs to care about have-been dictators trying to wave around a big stick they no longer possess.

Should we be cut off from the canal, we will merely seek other means to conduct our business.

That is the point. We do not want your toxic business polluting our economy.

OOC: This is the 1920s, and a more conservative 1920s at that. Income tax has probably not even been invented yet; peacetime income tax definitely hasn't.

To: Florida, Jacksonia

Though this move is of some concern to the world (and Japan), we will respect these actions. Hopefully these policies lead to an era of prosperity for Florida and Jacksonia. If they fail, we are willing to give assistance to your nations.

Colombia hereby takes the inane, immensely destabilizing and economically destructive actions of the United States, Jacksonia, and Florida to be a declaration of economic war upon the world, and specifically upon Colombia. If this treaty is confirmed to be fact, Colombia will raise tariffs through the Panama Canal on all commercial shipping by the aforementioned parties, in a futile attempt to isolate itself from the resulting economic fallout. God be with us.

OOC:
Did Britain really not steal rubber trees in this timeline? How are Japan, Germany, and Russia designing and building planes and tanks then? Rofl, hell, how did Japan manage to last the Pacific War at all?

I assure you, any war I will declare will not be economic. The only clash Florida ever offers is that of steel and guts.

We in Florida have experience in how to handle the transition to an open-borders system, as seen with the recent Florida-American Friendship Treaty. Through the Columbian Constitutional Congress we shall seek to closely monitor the socio-economic situation in the Columbian States as we lower and eventually reduce tariff barriers whatsoever. Any fear you have is misfounded and ludicrous, derived from having too close of a relationship with Brazil.

OOC: You seriously think we'd be stupid enough to cut off all tariffs and barriers... IMMEDIATELY? I feel so insulted right now that you would seriously believe I, or Gamez or Nuka, am that stupid.

Colombia is naturally paranoid, as they are merely a tentacle of the Brazilian octopus.

OOC: Then why are you forming an economic union with Columbia o.O?
Damn. It's not my fault I keep confusing them. :(

Byströmavtalet

The Byström Agreement

Article 1.
The United States of America will sell to the Kingdom of Vinland the Jacobs Territory for a sum of 30 EP, 5 of which will be immediately disbursed to the United States Treasury, and 25 of which will be used to cover the United States of America's remaining payments to the Empire of Japan.

Article 2.
The Kingdom of Vinland will provide to the United States an island harbour in the former Territory of Jacobs, subject to renewal 25 years after the location is finalized.

Article 3.
United States fishing and whaling vessels may operate in Jacobs territorial waters subject to the same laws and restrictions as Vinlandic vessels. This agreement is also subject to renewal in 25 years.

Signed,

-Ingvar I Gyllensvärd, by Grace of God, King of Vinland

-Ole Gudrunsson, Statsminister of the Vinlandic Riksdag

-Samuel Jingfors, Vinlandic Ambassador to the United States

-Daniel Mancini, United States Secretary of State

Robert Wallace, President of the United States

Henry Harris, President of the Senate

Top Bottom