1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Capto Iugulum: 1920 - 1939

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by EQandcivfanatic, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Circuit

Circuit Writing Letters

To: Papal State
    CC: Dominion of South Africa

The rebels in Africa will get a traitor's reward. The United Kingdom will not tolerate their rebellion and will not negotiate with them lest the negotiations involve their immediate return to the Empire. We will reassert our colonial rule over the colony.

As for South Africa, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland does not in the slightest approve of the Homestead Act that the South African legislature has passed. It's clearly destabilizing to the region and harms our operations to reclaim our lost colony. The Homestead Act is not representative of British colonial policy in the slightest. However, Parliament has no legal authority over South African domestic policy, which is completely under the domain of South Africa's legislature and president. However, the United Kingdom does not need to support the Homestead Act, and while we will do whatever is necessary to bring those Africans who rebel against the Dominion of South Africa or His Majesty King Henry XIII Himself to justice, we will not assist the South Africans in the enforcement of their reckless policy, nor will our forces assist in evicting those residents.

To: The International Olympic Committee

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland votes for Columbia, United States of America, to host the next Olympic games.

OOC:

@EQ: Thank you!

@Jehoshua: The Mormons were mentioned in the 1930 update, but died out as a religious movement. This was only revealed in a private discussion between EQ and I.

2. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

ooc: @circuit: Obviously as it was a private discussion I couldn't possibly know that ;)

That said I suppose a small number of mormons may still be around to justify their entrance, even if they are not more significant than a cult in the backalleys of Columbia. If not then their mention can be conveniently ignored.

3. m.t.cicero

m.t.cicero Good Kid

To: The World
    CC: The United Kingdom

King Richard would like to cordially invite the leaders of the world and their representatives to Guangxi's Vigintennial Celebration, to be held in Xinjing on June 30, Guangxi Day. These celebrations, held on the 20th anniversary of the creation of the Dominion of Guangxi, will showcase Guangxi's unique reconciliation of East and West, and the dynamic culture which has emerged from this fusion in the most prosperous of the Three Chinas. Citizens of Guangxi benefit from modern technology and a parliamentary system based on the British model and at the same time are free to follow traditional beliefs and customs and benefit from the rule of King Richard Aisin Gioro of the Qing Dyanasty, who reigns from Xinjing, arguably the most modern city in Asia, and among the most modern in the entire world.

King Richard would like to in particular invite King Henry XIII of the United Kingdom to his Dominion to celebrate twenty years of progress.

Guangxi also votes for Columbia, United States of America as the next Olympic city.

4. ShadowNX

ShadowNX Prince

To: Brazil

The Venezuelan Government will be sending a delegation to attend the 1930 Moralist International Conference of Rio de Janeiro.

5. ShadowNX

ShadowNX Prince

To The Holy See

The Venezuelan Government would hereby like to cordially invite the Ecclesiastical delegation from the Holy See attending the 1930 Moralist International Conference of Rio de Janeiro to after the fact visit Venezuela as our Guest to spread the Catholic faith to the Venezuelan people. This visit to the Americas by such a delegation will bring great joy to the Venezuelan people.

To: Guangxi

The Venezuelan Government graciously accepts Guangxi's invitation to attend the Guangxi Vigintennial Celebration, to be held in Xinjing on June 30, Guangxi Day. Our Minister of Foreign affairs will attend and represent our nation on this glorious day.

6. Milarqui

Milarqui Deity

To: Italy, Germany

Yes, Masters, sorry, Masters. How dare we presume we had the status of an independent nation, and thus be capable of making our own decisions in regards to our relationships with other nations instead of following your orders! We shall indeed strive to do as you say while we shine your shoes and slave away in your fields instead of telling you what you can do and where you can go while you are at it!

In case your intelligence is not as grand as you make others think, that was sarcasm. In case you do not know what sarcasm is, it is defined as "the use of irony to mock or convey contempt".

Allow us to ask you something: why is it that we should follow your lead, when you have done nothing to aid Spain when she needed help, and indeed you have not only helped those that attacked and destroyed Spain, but you also enforced further destruction and separation of Spanish territories from Spain? What has the rest of Europe, and the Council of European States, done for Spain that requires Spain to do what the Council of European States wants?

Also, we have reviewed the Treaty of Saint Gall, and nowhere in it does it forbid us to follow any foreign policy of any kind, it only "invites" us to an association of European nations, and it states that tariffs for Italian and German products are to be lowered. Also, we wish to point out that point XXVII of the treaty allows Spain to conserve its Egyptian colony, yet it was forced to relinquish it.

Thank you for showing your true colours. Please, do not let the door hit you while you are leaving. It might hurt.

7. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

To Germany and Italy
    CC: CES States and Spain

The Holy See notes that there is nothing in the treaty of St Gall that requires Spain to keep its foreign policy in accord with that of Germany and Italy vis a vis an embargo on Brazil or choice of friendship with other states, and indeed we can see no violation on the part of Spain of any article of the treaty whatsoever. Can Germany point out a specific article they have broken? Furthermore we wish to point out that the CES charter contains no provision distinct from the treaty of St Gall which requires a nation to uphold a common embargo, or continue to hold one once freely entered into as part of CES duties. We note for example that the Papal States is a member of the CES as part of its pursuit of European peace, and yet it never entered into any embargo against Brazil.

Considering the absence of any legal basis for concern with Spains actions, and understanding its in everyones interests that the peace in Europe continue, we would strongly urge Italy and Germany to refrain from dangerous rhetoric and actions harmful to the stability and peace of Europe. Indeed the CES charter itself states in article III that "the Council of European States posses the right to enact military or economic punishments on member nations that break the general European Peace, act in contrary to basic humanitarian principles, or do anything that could disrupt the status quo." Do your nations intend to break this dictate which you yourselves formulated? It would be a travesty for founding states of the CES, which have hereto served most admirably the cause of peace, to following these tensions violate their principles and break the european peace against Spain at some future instance, disrupting the peaceful status quo that has existed amongst the European nations since the Rhine-Rhone War and betraying their admirable roles as guardians of the western European peace.

the Holy See would therefore urge a return to the collegial spirit of the CES and to the paradigm of peaceful dialogue that has been established. Indeed we note the example of the peaceful resolution of the Oresund Crisis between Denmark and Scandinavia as an example of peaceful resolutions and coexistence, even as we note that Spains actions are vastly less confrontational to the peace than the actions that occured in the crisis. As such, we would urge the Imperial German Union in particular to recant its statement of intent to destroy the sovereign integrity of the Spanish state, and renew its commitment to the peaceful spirit of the treaty of St Gall and the CES for the common good of all Europe. The Holy See, as in the Oresund crisis, also makes known that in the event of a further escalation that it always remains available as a mediator in disputes for the cause of promoting the peace of God amongst the nations.

~ Pope Paul VI

-

To Venezuela
    From The Holy See

The Secretariat of State will happily ensure that the apostolic delegation to the moralist conference afterwards visits Venezuela to discuss the social doctrine of the Church, the need for charity in truth, and the necessity of answering the personal call to holiness with your nations leaders and in a seminar to those interested in how the Catholic faith can be more fully lived in the modern world.

~Sec. Relations with States.

8. EQandcivfanatic

EQandcivfanatic Zailing Captain Retired Moderator

@DuneBear: As crezth once told me, there's probably a mathematical equation for amount of players in a region multiplying into the amount of fun had in an NES. As for recommendations, I'd suggest pretty much any open nation in the Americas, as almost all of them could have room for domestic buildup or military action. Thanks to highly active players in the western hemisphere, there's also plenty of room for diplomatic activity and almsot all relevant nations do have some international commitments to start. The ones I'd recommend right off he bat are Mayaland, Aztlan, Ecuador, Chile, or if you wan to be a little more isolated, Cuba or Hispaniola. More may be available to switch to if certain people miss orders this update. The only ones I'd heartily recommend against are anything in Central America south of Mayaland and the United Proletarist Republics of America. They are not good starter nations. As mentioned earlier most of these nations already have some starting agreements in place, which I'll be happy to fill you in on should you pick one of them.

@Jehoshua: Circuit is right. There are no Mormons. They are one of the things that I went out of my way to smite cause I could. There will be no Mormons, zeppelins, or mimes in this universe!

To: South Africa

The predictament you have found yourselves in is one of your own making, and has made our whole region more chaotic. While we will not involve ourselves directly in your war, we are heightening border security, and will do our best to preserve order in border regions. This is to protect ourselves both from the riled up natives, but also from any over-ambitious settler militias that may take up arms themselves. We will not tolerate any incursions into our territories, regardless of situation, and will defend ourselves if needed.

To: Croatia

We have consulted with our primary ally, and have come to the understanding that an alliance with your nation would be contrary to local peace and prosperity. For now we must say no.

9. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

One less heresy to worry about. Excellent. The reference to the mormons shall be deleted. (EDIT) Oh, and my hat the North American Proletarist Entity is a bad starting choice, the best starting choices are the challenging ones ;)

10. Justo

Justo Emperor

OOC: I'm switching to the United Proletarist Republics of America. Glory to the revolution.

Sudan is also free.

11. Circuit

Circuit Writing Letters

OOC: Yay! I can now crush Africa without feeling guilty!

IC:

To: Guangxi

We gladly accept and congratulate Guangxi for its success.

12. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

OOC: Well the formerly British part at any rate considering those states formerly part of the Scandinavian Empire (Kongo) or Italian Africa are recognised by their former suzerains and the rest of the international community as sovereign entities.

Or to be more precise, you can attempt to crush the formerly British part, trying to conquer and hold large areas of land when the entirety of the native population is against you is difficult even for powerful empires.

13. Milarqui

Milarqui Deity

To: Sudan

Should our investigations find that you are involved in some way with the rebels that are trying to subvert order and good government in Spanish Central Africa in order to install a dictatorship based on religious terms, we warn you that you shall be punished.

14. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Given that these are constants of this particular EQuniverse, what happens whenever someone attempts to attach a propeller engine to a lighter than air balloon?

More pressingly, what would happen if someone put on clown makeup and attempted to act out the creation of a propeller-powered lighter than air gas-levitated vehicle? Would they be spontaneously erased from the timeline, or merely forget it was that they were trying to do?

15. TheLizardKing

TheLizardKing Let's talk Michelle.

I'll be dropping Germany. Best of luck all.

16. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

ooc: Most unfortunate. Still Im sure someone will happily pick up Germany, someone who I'd remind of the fact that Germany guaranteed the sovereignty of the papal states after the unpleasantness of Italian unification (or picked up that arrangement from Austria, I forget).

17. Nintz

Nintz King of the Britons

OOC: Really want to claim Germany, but I don't think I am anywhere near good enough, nor do I want another case like Spain where RL forces me to mess up the country. :(

18. Nailix

Nailix Damn!

To: Spain

We only wished to let you know that the CES is trying to keep unity throughout Europe and peace, also Italy and Germany tried to help Spain before their last civil war. Also Italy and Germany were in a fairly strong alliance with Spain recently until it's civil war ushered in new leadership, and finally you wish to become friendlier with a nation that caused the first great war in an attempt to just prove it's dominance over you then put into place heavy reparations and other stipulations to keep Spain weak?

19. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

OOC: Pish posh. You won't know unless you try.

20. TerrisH

TerrisH Mischief?

OOC:
    can you at least confirm with EQ that I have permission to use the German doctrine befor you drop them? you forgot to do so last turn which messed up my orders.

Edit: also a bit tempted to make a Bid for Germany.. ahhrrghh.. need to think on this. might PM you in a bit EQ about it.