Capture Great People or Generals

Would defeat the purpose of the Great Merchants trade mission. Should be a very simple mod it should only require changing <capture>0</capture> to <capture>1</capture> I think.

On second thoughts I don't like the idea.

What about a ransom-mod? I think about Richard the Lionheart or other "great people" who were "steady guests", suddenly... until some money was paid for their residence and they thankfully "checked-out"---

What about a ransom-mod? I think about Richard the Lionheart or other "great people" who were "steady guests", suddenly... until some money was paid for their residence and they thankfully "checked-out"---

Ransom mod should work for all prisoners of war - even if it is just an exchange of prisoners.

Yes, much like the slave mod, there could be a small chance the enemy is captured as POW and who can then be freed after a peace treaty is signed, returning to the fatherland.

Btw. why the heck is germany a fatherland while others are the motherland? Anybody knows that?

Something related to the origins of the german language is my guess.

For the mod, it could be a popup random event when someone is captured "XXX has been captured! Pay x amount of gold to ransom him back" and the unit is auto-respawned in your capital. Same for AI, but make them automatically choose to pay unless they have no gold?

I think Great Scientists at the very least should be able to captured, plenty of historical precedents. The unit could then turn in to a 'Great Scientist B' which when settled has the same benefits, albiet with +1 unhappy face or something.

Btw. why the heck is germany a fatherland while others are the motherland? Anybody knows that?

Not all others :) In my Polish language we have "ojczyzna" (fatherland) which also comes from the expression: land of (our) fathers. To make it more funny, the word "ojczyzna" is of........female gender (in terms of grammar). In German you would say that you have to put "die" before it :) Besides, you have a German word "Heimat",
female gender I guess.

As for the subject - nice idea at a first glance, but more complicated when it comes to details.

1. Somebody mentioned already problem of Great Merchants and trade mission
2. Can you imagine George Patton captured by Germans and then leading their troops (enhanced in skills) against Americans? I can't
3. What about barbs? What if they will capture GP? What were they supposed to do with a Great Scientist?

But.... I can imagine that your GP will be taken as a hostage and "inprisoned" in a city. You may be able then to organize an expedition to get him back.

Anyway - how many of you are using GP to wander around? In my case, I usually use them immidiately to invent a technology, or to start a GA. Sometimes I send a Great Engineer to certain city to build a Wonder.

So I'm just wondering - is it really WORTH to create any option of capturing GP??

Anyway - how many of you are using GP to wander around? In my case, I usually use them immidiately to invent a technology, or to start a GA. Sometimes I send a Great Engineer to certain city to build a Wonder.

So I'm just wondering - is it really WORTH to create any option of capturing GP??

I was thinking more along those lines as well. Perhaps when an enemy city is captured, it dislodges their great people.

I've abused hidden nationality land units to kill GPs more than a couple times ;) Merchants usually, but the AI doesn't know how to cope with it when you promote your units for lots of movement.

That would be a good idea since I kinda declare war when someone gets a GP that I wanted instead. I usually do that when they get Great Generals because the AI tends to attach them to units anyway. I prefer to rush them before they have a chance to use that Great General on me. So I like the idea of capturing Great Persons.:goodjob:

Top Bottom